1.    #1  
    My niece lost her contacts, calendar, etc. synching her new Centro from 650 (windows vista on pc using Palm Desktop). she still has everything on the 650 but nothing synched over to Centro and now Palm desktop on PC is empty. she said while installing she did get some kind of error message that something connected with some kind of ID was in use, but since she couldn't find anything open she clicked ignore.

Her ID name does show up correct in the Palm Desktop and on the centro (she used old ID from 650).

any ideas on the best way to synch old 650 to get contacts back on pc? would she be able to sync it with new palm desktop or will she need to uninstall that and reinstall old software?

I'm trying for simplest way possible because she is challenged somewhat with complicated instructions as she has a brain tumor. I'm in a different state so I can't do it for her and her parents only know basics of computer stuff.
    John 3:16
    As long as she didn't add anything to the centro that isn't on the 650, shw could beam over the databases.
  3.    #3  
    cavingjan, doesn't this lead to problems? Also, can she beam a whole database at one time? If so, how is that done? I don't see a way to do it on my old 650.

I know she's desperate, as she has all her meds doses, reminders when to take, doctor numbers, pass words (which she has trouble remembering) in her old 650 and even though she can carry both phoness, it kind of makes her go into overload to use one device for phone, one for reminders, passwords, etc. (she tends to forget which is used for which).

Thanks for any help anyone can give!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmy600 View Post
    synching her new Centro from 650 (windows vista on pc using Palm Desktop).
    Don't know what steps were actually taken to do the above, but looks like it could have been a problem.

Can't she temporarily use her 650 for med doses?

You can use Filez to beam the entire contacts, calendar db's, etc.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    If no one knows a better way,

Fixing the hotsync issue:
    1) Find the PalmOne folder - (It should be found at C:/Program Files/PalmOne)
    2) Find the folder named after your hotsync ID (My ID is Gamblor, and the folder is named "Gamblo" for some reason, taking off the "r")
    3) Do a new hotsync. There should be no more errors, and you'll get the option to create a new hotsync ID. Make the ID the same as the old one.

Now the Centro should be able to hotsync fine.

Now for transferring Contacts:
    1) On the Treo 650, Go into Contacts. Select the All category in the upper right.
    2) On the Centro, Turn on IR recieve on (Go into the Prefs application and select Power, and turn it on)
    3) On the Treo, Press Menu --> Beam Category
    4) Accept

If IR doesn't work, then you can try using FileZ and send it through bluetooth. However I'm not sure which Contacts DB file it is specifically.

It's a good idea to add applications one at a time, and backup inbetween adding each application, to see if they work properly.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 05/17/2008 at 08:13 PM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    If she had her hotsync prefs set for the handheld to overwrite the desktop computer this would happen. If so, she can re-sync the 650, then change the hotsync prefs to "synchronize" or "desktop overwrites handheld", then resynch the Centro.
  7.    #7  
    can the 650 be synched with the new software or does she need to reinstall the old 650 software?
    The Hotsynch software works with both just fine. If both phones have the same User ID just make sure the Hotsynch prefs are set up properly. When I first sync'd my Centro, it overwrote all the contacts/memos/todo's/calendar and I thought I'd lost everything. I made sure the prefs were set for "handheld overwrites desktop", sync'd again with the 650, then checked the Palm Desktop software to make sure all my data made it back. Then I changed the prefs to "desktop overwrites handheld" and sync'd again with the Centro and got them all back.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmcnelly View Post
    The Hotsynch software works with both just fine. If both phones have the same User ID just make sure the Hotsynch prefs are set up properly. When I first sync'd my Centro, it overwrote all the contacts/memos/todo's/calendar and I thought I'd lost everything. I made sure the prefs were set for "handheld overwrites desktop", sync'd again with the 650, then checked the Palm Desktop software to make sure all my data made it back. Then I changed the prefs to "desktop overwrites handheld" and sync'd again with the Centro and got them all back.
    This might be a good method to try out first. (And probably works great if there are no third party apps)

If there are third party apps, and the phone goes crazy because of some conflict, then a hard reset, and renaming of the old folder is probably in order.

She may not want to set her data transfers to "ALL" if beaming or sending with Bluetooth - doing that will move them, but it won't move them within their respective categories - she'll have to move category by category or spend a whole lot of time recategorizing (like I had to).

Cheers, Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    She may not want to set her data transfers to "ALL" if beaming or sending with Bluetooth - doing that will move them, but it won't move them within their respective categories - she'll have to move category by category or spend a whole lot of time recategorizing (like I had to).

Cheers, Kim
    Very good point. I don't really use categories, so didn't think of it.