Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I DO have an issue with a charge to continue using a product I already paid for. If I replace my PC, and move my software from the old one to the new, I don't expect to have to re-purchase the software, or pay to move it. Why should I expect different on a Palm?
    This is becoming less and less true each year as more software suites are being tied to the motherboard/hard drive. You can move it to a new system but one of the two must be the same.

I have no problem with charging for the service of providing a new code. If the developer can do it online in an automagical system, that's great as it will be cheaper for the developer to process and in the long run cheapr for us. If someone has to physically answer the email/phone calls and generate the code, I have no problem paying for that code as that service costs money for the developer. I'm more concerned with developers leaving and abandoning software can they can no longer afford the license code updating for existing software.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    This is becoming less and less true each year as more software suites are being tied to the motherboard/hard drive. You can move it to a new system but one of the two must be the same.

I have no problem with charging for the service of providing a new code. If the developer can do it online in an automagical system, that's great as it will be cheaper for the developer to process and in the long run cheapr for us. If someone has to physically answer the email/phone calls and generate the code, I have no problem paying for that code as that service costs money for the developer. I'm more concerned with developers leaving and abandoning software can they can no longer afford the license code updating for existing software.
    Even Micro$oft, which probably has the most onerous verification schemes doesn't charge you to move to a new PC, or when you upgrade hard drive and motherboard. They make you call in to verify, but will then issue a new code free.

As far as charging for a new code, if the software were simply tied to a hotsync id, instead of the hardware, it wouldn't be necessary to call in for a new code when moving to a new device. If I lose my key, then maybe a charge to find it for me can be justified. Maybe. (But most developers seem to do without a charge for this service). But when the vendor's programming decisions mean I have to call for a new key even if if not my fault, I think it unacceptable to charge for that.

Jeff's own policies contribute to the work load he now says he has to charge for. Sounds like a nice, added source of revenue to me.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.

Jeff's own policies contribute to the work load he now says he has to charge for. Sounds like a nice, added source of revenue to me.
    Actually this is not true. It is a means to continue providing the level of support we have always been providing.

Many may not realize, but we pay twice for customer service! Each of our vendors take a percentage of each product sale. Part of this royalty goes to staff the vendor's help desk for them to handle license key replacements. Second, we have to staff a help desk because most users turn to us for key replacement services since they purchased a GoTreo product. I do not think it is acceptable to tell customers to go somewhere else for support even though it is the job of the selling organization to handle these issues. So I am in a catch 22! I simply have to charge for this service to continue to staff the help desk.

Jeff
    Last edited by jeffgibson; 05/28/2008 at 07:41 PM.
    Hey folks what's done is done & he has a perfect reason. Don't like it, go elsewhere & I bet you won't get the same customer service as GoTreo. Good luck all, keep up the great work Jeff!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Agree with Rhino. Launcher X is old and outdated, and will never be updated. ZLauncher works better and offers far more capability. Treo Launcher is cleaner, simpler, and more reliable.

I have a license for Launcher X, but gave up on it a while ago.
    Bob Meyer
    How does ZLauncher work "better?"
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    It crashes

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Hmm . . . I have used both LauncherX and ZLauncher extensively on several devices. I have never experienced crashes associated with ZLauncher. Do you have any specifics, RevRhino?

ZL has many more features than LX. It is much more customizable. Some say that may be a negative at times when all you want is a basic launcher. I have used both and I like both very much. I am saddened by the apparent decision by gotreo software to shelve any future development.
    Um..me either, it was a joke. Geez people lighten up.

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I actually had more crashes with L-X than ZL, although not many with either.

How does ZL work better? It's far more capable, with far more functionality, more configuration options, a vast array of 3rd party skins. It runs apps off the card flawlessly.

L-X doesn't have nearly the feature set. And, on my 700p, it constantly got confused: I'd tap one icon (or use the 5 way to select it), and L-X would trigger a different app than the one I selected. Even refreshing manually didn't always fix it--sometimes I'd need a soft-reset. That got old real fast. Never had problems like that with ZL.
    Bob Meyer
    L-X doesn't have nearly the feature set. And, on my 700p, it constantly got confused: I'd tap one icon (or use the 5 way to select it), and L-X would trigger a different app than the one I selected. Even refreshing manually didn't always fix it--sometimes I'd need a soft-reset. That got old real fast. Never had problems like that with ZL.
    The confusion is actually a fraud protection feature in LauncherX. If the product has been modified, you iwll get exactly the behavior you experienced.

LX was never created to have the features of ZL! ZL is "heavy" and awkward. The product takes up a very large amount of space and it has so many hard to understand options a normal user can not figure out how to use the product.

LX was designed to be the fastest and easiest to use launcher. The more features you add to a product, the more unstable it becomes on a Palm platform. So if you want a very dependable, fast and small launcher, use LauncherX. The nice thing is that users have a wide selection of products to choose from.

Jeff
    I have been a user of Launcher-X since the day the original came out and actually exchanged many eMails Bozidar.

Personally, I still prefer the ease of use and real speed of Launcher-X and I have tried all the others. And no matter which one I try, I always come back to Launcher-X.

Carl
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    The confusion is actually a fraud protection feature in LauncherX. If the product has been modified, you iwll get exactly the behavior you experienced.

LX was never created to have the features of ZL! ZL is "heavy" and awkward. The product takes up a very large amount of space and it has so many hard to understand options a normal user can not figure out how to use the product.

LX was designed to be the fastest and easiest to use launcher. The more features you add to a product, the more unstable it becomes on a Palm platform. So if you want a very dependable, fast and small launcher, use LauncherX. The nice thing is that users have a wide selection of products to choose from.

Jeff

Fraud protection? Sorry, whatever the intent it's buggy. This happened to me periodically even without my making any changes to the app.

As far as comparisons to ZL, yes, it has a much larger footpring. As I said many posts ago. ZL is more functional and fuller featured, and that comes at a price. But I found it far more stable than L-X, not less. And the vendor is still improving it, unlike L-X, which is stagnant.

Fastest and easiest to use? Not by a long shot. As I said in that same post, long ago, Treo Launcher holds that crown.

L-X is stuck somewhere in the middle. More complex, less stable, and larger footprint than TL. Less functional, less customizalbe, less stable than ZL. And less future than either.

I have licenses for all three. On my 600, I used ZL for it's ability to launch off the card. On my 700p I switched back to L-X because I didn't really need to run apps off the card anymore. But I switched to TL simply because it's, well, simple. It's small, light, fast, easy to use, and more stable than either of the others.

To each his own, but I won't spend my personal hard-earned money on a product that's essentially at end-of-life.
    Bob Meyer
    I don't use either ZL or LX but I am a fan of GoTreo (volumecare and ringcare). I've always been willing to pay for customer service and if Jeff feels the need to charge for keys I see no problem with it. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I don't use either ZL or LX but I am a fan of GoTreo (volumecare and ringcare). I've always been willing to pay for customer service and if Jeff feels the need to charge for keys I see no problem with it. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

ET
    Gee, and here I thought the freedom to criticize things you don't like was sort of fundamental to American democracy.
    Bob Meyer
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Speaking of Jeff's reputation and willingness to help - I can and will vouch for that on a personal level. Jeff and developers like him are to be valued by all of us.

Ben
    Well I don't know if Jeff cares about his reputation anymore, since I can't get any support from GoTreo.

I bought a new Treo for my wife and need a replacement key for LauncherX (the only piece of software out of 20 that I had to request a new key for!). I have emailed 4 times for over a month, and can't seem to get any response from GoTreo. This is unacceptable. I own 4 licenses for LauncherX, and VolumeCare. I love the simplicity of LauncherX, and have given it as gifts. But based on the current lack of support from GoTreo, I won't be doing business with them anymore.
    As has been said above, LX was at end of life a year ago. Jeff didn't really care about it then, and obviously doesn't care about it at all, now.

Check out Treo Launcher. It's what I use now, and I'm happy with it, even though it's not seeing any new development either. At least you won't run into key issues.
    Bob Meyer
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12