1.    #1  
    I've still got a Palm Treo 680 which I am extremely happy with. But it is getting kinda old - its been dropped a fair bit and because of that, the connection between the earpiece and the rest of the phone is a bit flaky sometimes. I could get it repaired but I feel its almost time to do a refresh.

I have been watching Palm's device announcements and haven't noticed anything that I can shift my next investment to.

There are two things I like to understand before I make a decision with the good ol' 680.

1. Is Palm planning to release a new mobile device based on the Palm OS?
    2. Are Palm OS developers planning to sell new versions of Palm OS (whether Linux based or not) to other mobile device manufacturers apart from Palm?

I still like to keep with a Palm OS because I've made a sizeable investment in the applications there. As far as I am concerned, no other mobile/PDA OS has so much potential (the now defunct Sony Clie being a prime example of what Palm Treo could be a few years ago and this isn't even talking about what it could be today) and yet, still has the largest application base supporting it.

As I keep several mobile devices (purely because I am a gadget junkie), I've tried Windows Mobile devices (HTC to be exact) and personally own Blackberry Curve 8310 (because work requires me to own one), Nokia N95 and Sony Ericsson K850i phones (because I signed on contracts which allowed me to own these for free) and while they are flashier or have improved functionality in one department or another, the overall functionality and/or user interface still leaves a gap when compared to the Palm Treo 680 device. The Treo 680 does keyboard/one handed integration with all the applications available on the Palm OS extremely well.

So I guess I need some common sense guidance around where I should put my money in next.

Thoughts anyone?
    There are no new Palm OS based mobiles on the horizon. It looks pretty grim for the Palm OS right now. "Drucker", a.k.a. the 800w, is Windows Mobile. Centro was the last one released with the Palm OS and may well be the last one we see. I say "good riddance", it's time for something better, and I don't mean Windows Mobile.
    Why not consider the new iPhone? I'm seriously considering dumping my 680 for it when it is released (rumors say sometime in June).
    New case off ebay = $30 USD

Then wait for the next generation. or you could wait a few weeks until Palm starts to blow out the Centro.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I've been waiting in vain for too long. Then I decided that I would just get two smartphones and dump one later on: I'll keep my 680 for now but just pre-ordered an HTC Touch Diamond.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Applications, Applications and applications. That's why we need PalmOS phones. The Palm has tons of applications and the iPhone , HTC etc do not.

Windows Mbbile phones have some applications available, but noit the ones I use and worse than that I can't sync them with OSX properly.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Reading View Post
    Applications, Applications and applications. That's why we need PalmOS phones. The Palm has tons of applications and the iPhone , HTC etc do not.

Windows Mbbile phones have some applications available, but noit the ones I use and worse than that I can't sync them with OSX properly.
    I couldn't agree more. I've amassed tons of useful Palm OS apps as I've been using Palms since the 3Com days. I also love the keyboard on my Treo and am not sure how I will do without it. The Diamond will be my first real introduction to Windows Mobile and a keyboard-less device. Who knows, I may just sell the Diamond later on...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  8.    #8  
    I think the day I joined TreoCentral (its been awhile), I have been posting here, asking Palm to wake up and listen - release updates to a device that enhances the device which your satisfied users are currently using.

I've said so many times, over and over here and in other Treo forums and it looks like Palm as a company either;

1. Has decided to abandon its investment in Palm OS interests
    2. Palm isn't listening to its users
    3. Palm investors are not Palm users - just punters
    4. Palm needs an organizational change to make it more agile
    5. Or a combination of two or all of the above

As far as I am concerned, I have now ordered two (2) Apple iPhone 3G phones with a worldwide release on Jul 11. I will be assisting Apple in promoting the iPhone's development in the online community, particularly around its applications and I will be feeding the great Palm based software library ideas/concepts into there as I did with Palm.

This is my goodbye to Palm. The words here will be lost on them as usual but I like to say it was good while it lasted.

The 680 will be ending up in the rubbish soon.

As for the punt between Windows Mobile and iPhone...I'm not putting my money down yet until I have had a good play with the iPhone but from my experience with the iPod Touch, it looks good and the lack of a stylus is ALWAYS a great selling point for me in any phone/PDA.