Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hello Demo, RJuhl, mobilemaxx, DrTacoElf, Ehsan,

I think some of you may be new users of Lightspeed? Sorry if I assumed incorrectly, but if you are, here is a link to some settings I use that I have had luck with both in speed and stability. It may be a good starting point.

The trick is to keep "like apps" clocked with the same bus/clock speed - Example; if you use TCPMP at 208/416 then its associated plugins should be at the same setting also - when you see the screen shots, you will get the idea, and do not use any settings that brings up a red number in the bus or cpu selection. May not be the fastest settings, but it is quick and stable for me.

Hope this helps some of you.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...159423&page=14

Then scroll down to post #269.

Then simply cut and paste the urls into your browser from the post to see a screen shot of the Lightspeed settings I use. BTW, I have no affiliations with the developer of Lightspeed.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    If you increase the cpu speed by the multiplier rather than fiddleing with bus speed, I think you will see a faster speed performance gain then the bus. The 208 bus speed is key IMHO especially when switching between programs. Lightspeed need change one less perameter.
    Actually, no, bus speed is where you see the speed improvements. Simple tests can determine that.

I could dredge up the data if you like, but on my 680 I picked several speeds which I could get a total speed that were the same but had different bus/cpu speeds, and the one with the higher bus won every time, and in fact, at the highest speed (624) wasn't as fast as the highest bus speed (with the total speed of 504? Sorry, I don't have the Treo in front of me right now).

Unfortunately it seems like the 700 craps out with a higher bus speed, but there is still benefit to increasing the CPU speed, just not as much benefit as increasing the bus speed.
    khaytsus,

I am not saying bus speed is not important or less important than cpu speed, but on my 755p which is different than your 680 and depending on the application and I also have test data, some applications prefer cpu over bus and then there are some apps that prefer bus over cpu, and then there are others that like a little of both. All I am saying is the apps that I have and the settings I use work on my 755p (maybe not a 680 were bus may be more important for whatever reason). This of course may not work on another 755p with the same exact apps, although I would say it would have a better chance then not under the exact same software and hardware device.

Example, I dont' think the Memos program prefers bus over cpu, but more likely than not maybe a game that uses graphics might be a better choice for a higher bus speed than cpu - or maybe it falls into the both catagory. In fact, I have found thru stop watch testing that a high bus and cpu of 221/552 (234/558 works no better so why use it) work good for a program I have called "Card Reader". If you look at my settings I only use that setting for a few applications that I could time and see a positive result - this is after many timed transfers. If a higher setting doesn't improve the performance or provides very little gain and/or causes screen shimmer, than I use the lower of the two settings.

When testing, I always find that changing one perameter while keeping either the bus or cpu constant is benificial when testing. Changing 3 different settings is not so - in other words try it with bus at 208 constant and change the cpu until it feels right and as is stable before modifying the bus with your stable cpu setting that you just found - all that being said before going on to another app - just get that one app tuned before you go on to another - other wise you just simply get lost and possibly frustrated if you are not a tweak addict.

One more note that I have found - althought I can set my Pics & Videos (and a few other apps) to 234/585 some photos if looked at very closely like a night picture of a brightly lit city causes the picture/LCD screen to have a shimmering effect on some parts of the screen - telling me that the 755p is near its limit - I doubt that I am harming the 755p because I am not on that picture or program for hours on end - this is not noticeable if your just blip thru the picture at a normal rate - but if you study it - it can be seen under certain apps and circumstances. So in this case I just back it down a little to my next best setting which seems to be 208/520 general purpose stable high setting, and use 208/416 for a slight performance gain without to much battery drain which is my default setting.

But each to their own - these work for me - take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by MouseGlider; 06/03/2008 at 08:42 PM.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

I'm trying to use LightSpeed on my Treo 650: firmware 1.71, software 1.20-ENA, hardware A.

On the Treo, running LightSpeed at a variety of bus and multiplier speeds (including the bus 104, cpu 312 setting), after the phone is placed in standby, a few minutes later the treo sponteanously resets itself.

ResetDoctor says that all of these crashes are the following:
    Crash while running LightSpeed, MemoryMgr.C, Line:3843, Non-word-aligned handle"

I have all of the preferences in LightSpeed unchecked. I get the crash with "don't handle device wakeup" checked as well.

has anyone else seen something like this? any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Try hard reseting and reinstalling all you applications from scratch.. works for me when there is unknown resets
    My experience with lightspeed was not good. I have a sprint centro and it would cause green sideways shadowing when trying to use my camera. I didn't even have my camera overclocked. Also I ran palm internals speed test and my centro was way slow. Uninstalled lightspeed and everything returned to normal.

Just my experience.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I had a very good experience on my centro. When I calculated the launching times, Apps launched about 25% faster for me. BTW change your camera settings to 221 x 2.5 = 552.

208 x 2.5 = green camera

Quote Originally Posted by whypayforit View Post
    My experience with lightspeed was not good. I have a sprint centro and it would cause green sideways shadowing when trying to use my camera. I didn't even have my camera overclocked. Also I ran palm internals speed test and my centro was way slow. Uninstalled lightspeed and everything returned to normal.

Just my experience.
    Last edited by mxl360; 07/28/2008 at 02:23 AM.
    If I install LS and find my 755 to be faulty and buggy...
    When/or if I uninstall will all my setting go back to normal (prior to putting in LS)
    I just don't want to put it on my phone mess up my setting, and then not be able to get my phone to where it was before using LS.
    I do not think you would have a problem if you simply uninstall it, but I prefer to make a backup using the free NVBackup and you will be back to where you were would be my suggestion.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

COOL
    thanks for that tip.
    Does anyone vouch for MouseGlider theory???
    and I use resco backup. Is that fine if what MG said??
    I vouch

You should alway run a quick backup just before installing an app. only takes a minute or 2 and if anything goes wrong you can go right back to where you were. (like mouseglider said)
    Does Lightspeed even work? I have it set to 520 and I can't tell a difference anywhere. Speedy has it clocked at 423, but I just don't see the centro being an quicker. I had pxa clocker with the 700p and I could tell a big difference in the speed with pxa.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    jayzee,

I have a Centro also which is pretty quick - if it does benefit the Centro it would be hard to tell - some apps seemed to need LS more than others. For me, it helped DTG especially when viewing PDF's, Sprint TV, Slingplayer that is connected to my Tivo, Kinoma, and especially SAG.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Agree with mouseglider.

Only a handfull of apps will bnefit from overclocking. ljp is one of the main ones.

You can also use it to underclock and save some battery life.
    The Centro is a generally speedier than the 700 so it doesnt help as much.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123