1.    #1  
    I've basically always like eReader -- in fact I upgraded to eReader Pro about a year ago, and have been using v. 2.6.3. one problem, however, was a weird conflict with KeyGuardTime+ -- if my 680 turned off, when it came back to, the KGT+ screen would hang and not go away. there were other oddities, basically because eReader switches to a black-and-white display.

anyway, I went to download the latest version, 3.0.0 which is dated 1/23/08. the readme states

1) Load the eReader application and books onto your
    Palm OS(R) device by performing a HotSync(R) operation.

2) Launch the eReader application and select Menu->Open to
    select the book you would like to open.

3) When prompted for your name and password, enter the following
    information:

Name: your name as it appears on your credit card
    Password: your credit card number

my reaction is "no effin way." what is this?
    That's the way you have always validated the books with eReader/Palm. Your downloaded book is linked to the credit card it was purchased with. It's a pain when you have downloaded books over a number of years and the credit card has changed. There is a way to go onto the site, go to your 'bookcase', and resync your books to a current credit card number.

Why are you so paranoid giving the program your CC number? You did it originally when you purchased the book... to the same company.

(I somewhat agree that a user-supplied password would be more comfortable to use though...)
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    It is my understanding that your credit card number is not actually stored anywhere in the files recreated by eReader or in the associated preference entries. The credit card number is used only to create a unique key which is stored on your Palm to unlock the books downloaded from your eReader account. I can not remember where I read it but I do recall that there is no way to determine the original credit card number from the key.

Also, IMO, this technique for e-Book DRM (if we have to have it) is the least intrusive/inconvenient for the user I have encounter. The book is not linked to a device nor is it restricted to how many times it can be used or on the number of devices.

Just my 2 cents.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninKSB View Post
    It is my understanding that your credit card number is not actually stored anywhere in the files recreated by eReader or in the associated preference entries. The credit card number is used only to create a unique key which is stored on your Palm to unlock the books downloaded from your eReader account. I can not remember where I read it but I do recall that there is no way to determine the original credit card number from the key.

Also, IMO, this technique for e-Book DRM (if we have to have it) is the least intrusive/inconvenient for the user I have encounter. The book is not linked to a device nor is it restricted to how many times it can be used or on the number of devices.

Just my 2 cents.
    pretty clever, it pretty much guarantees you won't be handing out your ebooks on the Internet. Unless you want to give out your cc number at the same time.

rayfield, if it didn't happen before with 2.6.3, you probably bought the pro version with the same cc as the books -- then they would have the same key and it wouldn't ask you for the code.
    Last edited by frantid; 05/15/2008 at 05:44 PM.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    I have no problem with this at all - it really does keep things honest. Ben
  6.    #6  
    I understand & sympathize with the anti-piracy motive. but I'm just not willing to use my credit card number as a password. not a big deal as yet, as I'm still working my way through Shakespeare and haven't felt the need to buy eBooks apart from the ones that came with my initial purchase of the app.

the issue's been resolved, anyway, thankfully -- I hadn't realized there's a "better/slower" graphical option for eReader, which has no such problem with the screen, so no need to try the upgrade.