Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    I like my Treo 650 so well, I'm reluctant to upgrade to the Centro, although I'm a gadget nut and love to get the latest in technology. And I like the Palm OS.

    I would really appreciate someone giving me the advantages of owning a Centro over owning a Treo 650 as well as the DISadvantages. Cost is not a problem. However, I travel a great deal (80%) in my job and need reliability. My service provider is AT&T; I've been very happy with them for several years.

    Thank you in advance for your help.
  2. waldo15's Avatar
    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #2  
    billwill,

    I encourage you to read the following post:

    Discussion on upgrading to a Centro from a 650

    That will give you a general idea of what you'll win/loose with the move. If possible at all I'll suggest you to get something other than a Centro (680 possibly?) gor perhaps take a closer look at WinMo devices, they are not so scary as of late and perhaps the Treo 800w will be a viable option this summer.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
  3. #3  
    Before you make a purchase (if you go with a Centro), try one in the store to make sure you have no issues with the smaller keyboard. I love my Centro and find it a big improvement over my 700p from a stability and form-factor standpoint. Since you like the Palm OS, I would recommend a Centro with the aforementioned caveat.
  4. #4  
    I love my Centro. The screen and keyboard are good tradeoffs for the small size. The battery life, however, is not too good for a heavy user. Fortunately, I can charge mine during the day at work because I sit at my desk off and on throughout the day. If I was away from a charger all day, I would have to get a second battery.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  5. #5  
    If battery life is a must I would opt for the 755p + 3200mAh battery. If not, the Centro is a good choice.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    If battery life is a must I would opt for the 755p + 3200mAh battery. If not, the Centro is a good choice.
    It would be hard for an AT&T subscriber like the OP to opt for a 755p.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    billwill,
    If possible at all I'll suggest you to get something other than a Centro (680 possibly?) gor perhaps take a closer look at WinMo devices, they are not so scary as of late and perhaps the Treo 800w will be a viable option this summer.
    Why, what will a 680 do for the OP. Yes the screen and keyboard are larger but that is the only advantage I can see (and the phone is much larger as a result).
  8. waldo15's Avatar
    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Why, what will a 680 do for the OP. Yes the screen and keyboard are larger but that is the only advantage I can see (and the phone is much larger as a result).
    He's coming from a 650. He may have a bunch of SD cards around, as well as cases, cradles, screen protectors, etc. It would be easier (cheaper) to go directly for a 680 in that sense since the form factor is relatively the same.

    If however billwill is willing to start from scratch, Centro may be a alternative but also is an alternative a switch to WinMo since, in all likelihood, this is the last year a PalmOS device is out and thus the new phone may not get a lot of supprt in the years to come.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
  9. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #9  
    I just recently upgraded to a Centro myself. I've begun posting my impressions on the whole process at PDALive.com.

    Pretty much I love it, and couldn't have upgraded sooner. Keyboard and Battery life are the biggest considerations.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  10. #10  
    I recently upgraded from the 650 to the Centro and love it! Smaller, sleeker, no bulky antenna, faster, more memory, better camera. Like others, I did notice a decline in battery life, but I'm not a power user, so I still get a couple days between charges. Though smaller, I haven't found the Centro's keyboard harder to use - the rubberized surface helps.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    He's coming from a 650. He may have a bunch of SD cards around, as well as cases, cradles, screen protectors, etc. It would be easier (cheaper) to go directly for a 680 in that sense since the form factor is relatively the same.

    If however billwill is willing to start from scratch, Centro may be a alternative but also is an alternative a switch to WinMo since, in all likelihood, this is the last year a PalmOS device is out and thus the new phone may not get a lot of supprt in the years to come.
    The 680 does not have quite the same form factor as the 650 so reusing batteries (and many cases) is not going to be possible. Screen protectors are essentially disposable so that just leaves SD cards. Micro SD cards are cheap and available in bigger sizes than the 650 could support. AT&T no longer sells new 680s so the only place (other than ebay) you can pick one up is Pam itself. They charge quite a bit more for a 680 than AT&T charges for a Centro.

    Switching to WM could involve throwing out a lot of software(potentially much more expensive than a couple of SD cards) . Some of the PalmOS software is hard to replicate on other platforms (e.g. Chattermail).

Posting Permissions