1.    #1  
    I was just wondering what everyone uses database programs for? I've been hearing so much about HandBase and ThinkDB and was wondering what advantages these programs offer?

Any examples on uses of databases would help in deciding if they woul benefit myself.

Thanks again!
    Well, I use ThinkDB to keep track of the items I put up on Ebay (been selling some childhood memories lately ) I have the data base setup with all the auction, bidder, shipping and payment information, and have several filters setup that will let me track them through the process (what auctions have ended, what auctions have been paid, which ones have shipped, which ones have arrived at their destination (the miracle of tracking numbers), etc.) It will also calculate how much "profit" I made off of each auction (based off of listing fees, shipping costs, etc.) and show me the total "profit" of all the auctions. It does a great job of helping keep everything straight. I've thought of making the "Tinybyte" available, but I need to refine it a little bit more.

Another use I am working on is for work. I work as desktop/network support person and I am trying to develop a database that helps keep track of our equipment. That way, if it moves or a problem arises with it, I can quickly check it's location, configuration, user associated with the equipment etc. The only problem I have so far is finding a way to transfer the information from the multi-page spreadsheet we keep it in now, into the database without having to do it manually.

Anyway, there is just a couple of ideas. I'm sure other will give you many more. (Did I mention that you can put pics into a ThinkDB database? That is another project on the list. )
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    I use ThinkDB exlusively. It is a much more robust and feature-rich than the other solutions available right now. With DbSync, it can sync bi-directionally with Microsoft Access.
    Originally posted by Shakes
    I was just wondering what everyone uses database programs for?
    Currently using ThinkDB to track mileage for my truck. Actually, I'm splitting this into a set of databases so someone could track vehicles (VINs, when bought, where, etc), mileage, parts lists, and service records.

I've also developed a database for tracking hours worked, and I'm trying to get it adopted by the company I work for (most of us have Visors or Palms, so it makes transfering the records to management easy). Was thinking of making this tinyByte available as well, but they've already got a tinyByte timesheet system up on the website.

The question is: what kind of data do you need to keep organized?
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Here is a Yahoo Group on ThinkDB. Lots of good discussion and the Files section has many good TinyBytes that you can download. It may give you further ideas on how to use it.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    I love THinkDB. There are many little programs and utilities that can be replaced by just this one program. I sync it with Access. I use it to track prayer requests, (it pulls the names straight out of my address book), any sort of class info for college (assignements, books, tests, grades; anything dealing with each class), my inventory of books, movies, and music - and who I have loaned it out to; lens/camera settings/location, etc. when taking pictures; a workout log; a firstaid database; personal and vital information on people I'm supervising; and more -- and that's just the beginning of what you can do. If you like to keep any sort of info (one of the main reasons the PDA was ever invented) then a DB program is a great way to do it. Like I said, I sync it with Access, but it makes a great stand alone app too. Hope this helps.
    IYYAYAS

AMMO - Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.
    I posted an article on Visor Central a few weeks ago comparing ThinkDB vs Handbase for my relational database project. Click here to take a look.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  8.    #8  
    These posts have helped a lot... My main use would be to keep track of visa/mastercard payments, cheques, deposits and withdrawals...

Also to keep a database of my software reg codes/serial#s...

From what I read, I'm under the impression that you can actually create a program using ThinkDB? Is that true, or did I misunderstand?

Also, are THinkByes small database programs are are avilable as free downloads?!?

Any other examples would be great... I'm sure many of my everday tasks could be simplified using databases (I just need the kick in the rear to realize it! ).

Thanks again!
    From what I read, I'm under the impression that you can actually create a program using ThinkDB? Is that true, or did I misunderstand?
    By "program", do you mean that the database is programable, i.e., has some sort of scripting language? ThinkDB has some conditional fields, but there isn't any programming language I know of that comes with it.

There are two more expensive products, Pendragon Forms and Satellite Forms, that have scripting and branching. Here's an excellent(though a bit outdated) comparison of various databases.

Also, are THinkByes small database programs are are avilable as free downloads?!?
    This has changed over the last six months. I still don't think there's a "free ThinkDB runtime" that you can give customers to run the tinybyte you've created in ThinkDB; they need to pay for ThinkDB to be able to use the tinybyte you've created. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)
    Jeff Meyer

These posts have helped a lot... My main use would be to keep track of visa/mastercard payments, cheques, deposits and withdrawals...

Also to keep a database of my software reg codes/serial#s...

I think the best description is Database templates. You still need ThinkDB to run them. Basically, you can create a database, complete with filters, formulas, etc. and then create empty copies of them if you like.

They are actually called TinyBytes, and yes there are dozens, if not hundreds, to chose from. Thinking Bytes has a bunch on their site available for download. Check here for some idea of what is available.

Any other examples would be great... I'm sure many of my everday tasks could be simplified using databases (I just need the kick in the rear to realize it! ).

Thanks again!
    Well, I just thought of creating a database to catalog my comic book collection. The only problem is, that I must have about a dozen large "comic collector" boxes along with about another half dozen boxes full of them in my attic. Gonna take forever.
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    Originally posted by sdoersam
    Well, I just thought of creating a database to catalog my comic book collection. The only problem is, that I must have about a dozen large "comic collector" boxes along with about another half dozen boxes full of them in my attic. Gonna take forever.
    Yeah, there's no way to get around data entry.

I'm entering my laserdisc collection into ThinkDB using my stowaway keyboard. I really wish they'd add better keyboard navigation -- I have to keep switching to my stylus to move between fields as I'm entering info.

Suddenly, voice recognition starts to look very appealing...
    Jeff Meyer

ThinkDB is great! I use it for the Foodmover, the First Aid, Remember M (a birthday/anniversary database).

Lots of TinyBytes are out there to download!

Barb
    Originally posted by sdoersam
    Well, I use ThinkDB to keep track of the items I put up on Ebay (been selling some childhood memories lately ) I have the data base setup with all the auction, bidder, shipping and payment information, and have several filters setup that will let me track them through the process (what auctions have ended, what auctions have been paid, which ones have shipped, which ones have arrived at their destination (the miracle of tracking numbers), etc.) It will also calculate how much "profit" I made off of each auction (based off of listing fees, shipping costs, etc.) and show me the total "profit" of all the auctions. It does a great job of helping keep everything straight. I've thought of making the "Tinybyte" available, but I need to refine it a little bit more.
    I would love to see your database for eaby....any change you could post it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb
    ThinkDB is great! I use it for the Foodmover, the First Aid, Remember M (a birthday/anniversary database).

Lots of TinyBytes are out there to download!

Barb

Any links to sites that have TinyBites available for download would be appreciated.
    Thanks