Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This going to sound like a stupid question and I don't even know how to ask to do a search. So any help here is very much appreciated.

This is what I would like to do. I have a Sprint 755p in perfect working order with all the software, the email contacts, and tweaks that keep me happy. My wife needs a new phone, so I want to get her a 755p also and clone the new phone to the exact same specs of what I currently have as a basic starting point.

I believe that I can call the new phone my current hot sync name and just clone my phone by using a backup image that I made from one of my backups from NVBackup. So basically I will restore my latest NVBackup backup image to the new 755p and then setup her computer with the same hotsync name as my computer so her computer will be sync'd up with all the goodies to her computer. So will this work? And if it does, do I contact the few paid peices of software developers like Kinoma and SlingPlayer and buy a new license for each? Can I then re-enter the new registration numbers to the new 755p on top of the old registration numbers? Then I would sync her new cloned phone of mine to her computer to adjust for the minor software re-registration. Even though we are two different computers with the same hotsysnc name, it doesn't seem like this would cause a problem.

Bottom line is, I would like to start her off with an already known software hardware configuration with all the tweaks that I know works with no resets crashes etc., then to build her phone from scratch.

Any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this? Thanks!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Not all apps use the Hotsync ID for registration purposes (rather your device ID) so that right there could be a problem.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    I believe that I can call the new phone my current hot sync name and just clone my phone by using a backup image that I made from one of my backups from NVBackup. So basically I will restore my latest NVBackup backup image to the new 755p and then setup her computer with the same hotsync name as my computer so her computer will be sync'd up with all the goodies to her computer. So will this work? ...
    I'm hoping to do something similar between my TX and my Treo755p. I plan to go through the process of using the process outlined by palm for moving from one palm to a new one. Then, rather than doing a hard reset, as they tell you to do, I will subsequently only sync my TX with my laptop and my Treo with my desktop. Ultimately, my reason is to figure out which apps I use more on my Treo and which I will use on TX, or if I will be ready to ditch the TX at some point (or just turn it into a movie player! - I hate to lose that bigger screen for movie viewing).

I'm a software developer, so I will also purchase new licenses for programs I end up wanting on both - it's just difficult to make the switch all in one feel swoop!

I hope to do this sometime this weekend, so I'll post back on my experiment if it works. Of course, I plan to make a good backup with backupbuddy before doing anything!
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Not all apps use the Hotsync ID for registration purposes (rather your device ID) so that right there could be a problem.
    That's interesting. How would one then upgrade to a new unit or replace a broken one?

Do you know of any specific programs that do this? I personally would want to avoid ones that did that!! Stuff happens. I don't want to be contacting every company to get a new key if my device locks up again!
    Only one I can think of off of the top of my head is Arcade Reality.

I don't remember what else does this offhand.
    Is this going to cause a problem with transferring files via bluetooth?

How many programs are you talking about? Might it not be easier to do a selective restore of just those programs and their databases?
    Yes, you can do that. There are apps though that use the hardware ID of the specific phone that you will have to buy a new license for, I believe Kinoma and possibly Volume Care. You will know which ones, as the apps will no longer work on her phone.

She will have to install the Palm Desktop software on her computer and after she has done her first hotsync, choosing the username that is on the phone, then she can go in and change, delete or add her own specific contacts and calendar dates and re-sync the phone. Just be sure on that first hotsync, that the conduit for Backup is set to "Handheld overwrites Desktop". Forever after this, you two must use your own Palm Desktop to hotsync.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    take a look at this particular software
    change-name from:
    ***://www.mulliner.org/palm/changename.php
    It may achieve in certain ways what you have in mind.
    Even though I find you will have some more additional hurdles to clear.
    It does work on the palm 755p without problems
    for what it is worth, I have used NVBackup to 'restore' a new phone to the exact specs of an older phone (warranty replaced).
    So, would think that would work for you.

Not sure about two devices with the same ID for hotsync purposes tho.
    RJuhl
    as long as you have to same username/id the syncronization works fine. Both phones will be updated with the same contacts, calender etc......
    That's how I keep my phone as well as my wifes updated.
    You also can tweak the Palm Desktop Syncronisation further if you want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    There are apps though that use the hardware ID of the specific phone that you will have to buy a new license for, I believe Kinoma and possibly Volume Care.
    For Kinoma Player, you'll want to our the "lost key" form to get a fresh installer for the new phone. Kinoma Player will prompt you to activate over-the-air the first time you run it.

You can buy a new license if you want to use Kinoma Player on both the old and the new device.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl View Post
    for what it is worth, I have used NVBackup to 'restore' a new phone to the exact specs of an older phone (warranty replaced).

rjuhl,

Thanks - my wife is thinking of a Centro now because it is smaller. I'm trying to sell her on a 755p, so we can share batteries and accessories.

I guess the hotync is the question. Thanks again!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellwizzard View Post
    as long as you have to same username/id the syncronization works fine. Both phones will be updated with the same contacts, calender etc......
    That's how I keep my phone as well as my wifes updated.
    You also can tweak the Palm Desktop Syncronisation further if you want to.
    Cool!! Thanks!!! Do you think it would matter then it I set up her hot sync the same as mine, but only on "her" computer, then she would have everything I had without bringing her phone and syncing to my computer?

Than once the master syn is down - she can be on her own?
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    For Kinoma Player, you'll want to our the "lost key" form to get a fresh installer for the new phone. Kinoma Player will prompt you to activate over-the-air the first time you run it.

You can buy a new license if you want to use Kinoma Player on both the old and the new device.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    When I get closer to getting the phone - I will email you for another license if she wants the upgrade over the embedded version - she only has a phone now - she has never had a multimeida pda type phone before so I don't know if she would use it.

But if she does use it - do I just buy the license and register it or do I have to re-install?
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Just watched "National Treasure - book of secrets".

They cloned a phone in just the manner in which was described here. As a one will "cool breeze" smith might say, " I got ta git me one o' dees! "
    rjuhl,

Thanks - my wife is thinking of a Centro now because it is smaller. I'm trying to sell her on a 755p, so we can share batteries and accessories.

I guess the hotync is the question. Thanks again!
    As I said in my post above, I have two phones, my 755 and my husband's 650 that were cloned in the above manner that I described. I have the Palm Desktop set up on his laptop with the same username as mine on my laptop, but once we got his phone setup, we edited the calendar and contacts on the Palm desktop and did another hotsync using "Desktop overwrites Handheld" and it overwrite the calendar and contacts with his info. He doesn't use Kinoma on his 650 so I deleted it from his phone.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl View Post

Did you run an NVBackup restore from a 755p to another 755p or a different Treo model? I am sufficiently frustrated with quality control that I actually bought a second 755p while I await my warranty replacement and my thought is to clone them, using one and having one on standby for when the primary one inevitably fails, or the headset jack goes or I get the Access Screen of Death or any of a number of ways in which these units can't make it past their first few months.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    ...she has never had a multimeida pda type phone before so I don't know if she would use it. But if she does use it - do I just buy the license and register it or do I have to re-install?
    You don't have to re-install if you use a different copy on the new phone.

If you install your current Kinoma Player on the new phone, and then later the same copy gets launched on the old phone, the activation system will think you're switching phones again and deactivate the copy on your new phone. It might be a little inconvenient, and eventually it'll get flagged as hanky-panky.

Remember that since the new phone comes Kinoma Media Embedded, it's also eligible for a healthy upgrade discount.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  19.    #19  
    Thanks Charles,

I just bought my wife a Centro - not knowing if I could restore an image from a 755p to a Centro, I simply beamed a few apps over and basically started from scratch - since I couldn't get the Hotsync software installed on her computer because of a "classfactory cannot supply requested class error"

Dang - I wish it was more a simple plug and play situation - I simply hate computer glitches!

Only good that came out of this is - the Centro works ok - but her laptop has a glitch!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thanks Charles,

I just bought my wife a Centro - not knowing if I could restore an image from a 755p to a Centro, I simply beamed a few apps over and basically started from scratch - since I couldn't get the Hotsync software installed on her computer because of a "classfactory cannot supply requested class error"

Dang - I wish it was more a simple plug and play situation - I simply hate computer glitches!

Only good that came out of this is - the Centro works ok - but her laptop has a glitch!
    You can also use NVBackup to do a partial restore--just restore the applications you want. The 755 and Centro are close enough models that it should work (but do it your own risk; it's not tested; if it bricks it, don't blame me).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast