Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I've been using palms for years (Visor, Clie, TX) and I just purchased my first Treo (755p). I also purchased a mini-sd card for it and inserted it (am I the only one who finds inserting those little buggers a bit of a pain, keeps wanting to pop back out).

So, here's the problem - I had copied a few midi files that I wanted to use as ringtones onto the card using my card reader. Also copied an MP3 and a Word file just to test things out. I beamed FileZ onto my Treo to help with moving files around. When I try to move a file from the card to the device memory I get an error and it won't let me move it ("An error has prevented the file from being moved").

The card itself works fine. I was able to open the mp3 in pocket tunes and the word doc in DocstoGo. But not able to copy or move files.

so here are my questions:

1. Do you have to move midi/mp3 files to the device to use them as ringtones?
    2. Does FileZ work on Treo?
    3. Is there another freeware file mover that is recommended by experienced users?
    4. What is the size limit for ringtones?

BTW, this is my second device - the first one experienced the "Access Powered Screen of Death" after about a week of use. Hope that isn't too common a problem. Has anyone figured out what seems to cause that?

This is probably too many things in one thread...

-Ron
    Last edited by prhammer; 05/09/2008 at 04:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by prhammer View Post
    1. Do you have to move midi/mp3 files to the device to use them as ringtones?
    Yes/No. In order to do mp3 ringtones, you need third party software such as ringo or lightwave. There is a free solution called minitones (just google it) which will take mp3s on the card and convert them to treo ringtone format and save them on the device. I believe the sound manager natively supports midi ringtones, so in order to use those, they will have to be copied to the device.

2. Does FileZ work on Treo?
    Yes, I'm not sure why you can't get your files to move, but filez should work. Try copying instead of moving.

3. Is there another freeware file mover that is recommended by experienced users?
    Nope, filez is the best. There are some non-freeware ones like resco explorer, tealmover and mcfile.

4. What is the size limit for ringtones?
    I don't know of a limit, but it should be able to handle anything thats not longer than the 30 seconds a ringtone plays for. I have some 700k tones that were converted from minitones that play fine.
    You can use 6-11mb mp3's as ringtones and I wouldn't imagine you would need anything larger than that for any reason.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJSunDevil View Post
    ... I'm not sure why you can't get your files to move, but filez should work. Try copying instead of moving.
    I tried moving and copying, no joy. I can move files around on the card (from one folder to another), but not from the card to the device. Very odd.

I also tried the files program that you can download from "MyTreo" (called "files") and it doesn't even show the main device for some reason. Only the card.
    You put FileZ in main memory, right? I would delete FileZ and install it by hotsync if possible, making sure you have the most recent version (they did an update several months ago) I use it all the time.

As far as using a card reader for the miniSD, I did that for about one week and realized I would damage that card from taking it in and out so much. I then bought the program Card Reader by Mobilestream and it is soooo worth the money. It allows the card inserted in your treo to appear as a removable storage device when plugged into ANY computer by USB cable. You then can just drag and drop files between the treo and the host computer, nice to use at work or a friend's as all you need is a USB cable and you never need to remove the card again. (this does not show main memory, only the storage on the card)
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    I also use Card Reader, and it's so convenient. I have a case on my Treo 755p, so having to remove the case and then the card is such a pain, but I don't have to do that with Card Reader. It's so easy to just drag and drop.

However, I do daily backups (using NVBackup and Resco Backup), and once a week, I will remove the card, and transfer all the backups to my computer. I could just drag and drop, but that could take some time since I have alot of info, but I don't mind removing the card once a week.

VERY happy user of these GREAT apps:

TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial.
    Also check out the
    TAKEphONE skins , TAKEphONE skins thread

Verizon Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    You put FileZ in main memory, right? I would delete FileZ and install it by hotsync if possible, making sure you have the most recent version (they did an update several months ago) I use it all the time.
    I had wondered if this might have been part of the problem. I copied FileZ from my TX using beam. I'll try removing and reinstalling via hotsync.
    I had wondered if this might have been part of the problem. I copied FileZ from my TX using beam. I'll try removing and reinstalling via hotsync.
    Don't think method of install had anything to do with it. Might've been corruption during the copy (install). Hoperfully when you remove and reinstall (whether hotsync, beam, whatever) you'll be okay.
    dollface, what Filez update are you talking about? I searched, latest version I could find was 6.8.3, which is what I have. But that version is from 2005/06 time frame...