1.    #1  
    Is this possible, without spending loads of cash? Got my 755p about 2.5 months ago. I've taken excellent care of it (ALWAYS in its case on my hip, never in pocket or alone, screen protector... the works). I figure I could sell it, looks like they're going for about $250 on ebay/craigslist.

Today, phone locked up, and is now stuck on the ACCESS POWERED screen, regardless of soft or hard resets. Phone is DOA I guess.

Incidentally, I noticed VZW now has the Blackberry Curve with EVDO. I'm making the switch, as I'm tired of dealing with this garbage.

Any thoughts on how I could switch? Is it possible to convince Verizon to let me me just swap phone models? The BB Curve is $440 retail on Verizon's website. That'd be about $200 extra to spend if I sold my 755, which is a bit more than I'd like to.

Appreciate any tips! By the way, I'm not done with Palm altogether, I just agree with the school of thought that Palm's old OS is in dire need of upgrade, and I still eagerly look forward to their new OS. I've had the Palm OS for years now, it just takes too much effort for me!
    You would probably be best to swap the 755 for another 755. Then buy the curve out of pocket followed by selling the 755 once you have the curve in service.

(A broken 755 will not be worth much but warranty swaps for a functioning one should net the same amount of money.)
  3.    #3  
    So you're saying I'll just have to eat the cash difference between the phones? I did call Verizon, and they are sending me a replacement 755, to arrive on Tuesday. In the meantime, I've reactivated my 650. I'm amazed at how much faster my 650 is than that 755.

I suppose if I sold the new 755, then bought the verizon curve, then sold the $650, I'd be a little closer to breaking even.

I just hate the fact that I paid way too much for my 755 (realized this after the fact), and now will have to lose out on that cash. Bad investing!
    Yes
    Treo 800w
    Why wouldn't you have to eat the difference? You are buying a significantly more expensive phone than what you originally bought.
  6.    #6  
    No I'm not friend! Incidentally, I paid slightly MORE for my 755p than the cost of a new Verizon Curve, and that was only in February. So I don't think its too out of order to consider a means of swapping directly into the Curve!
    I got Sprint to refund me the entire paid value of my HTC Titan if I bought a 755p outright. So basically I pay full price on the 755p but get refunded full price on the Mogul (I also got a rebate on both the 755p and Titan though).

This takes some talking though and Verizon is not Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephentyler20 View Post
    No I'm not friend! Incidentally, I paid slightly MORE for my 755p than the cost of a new Verizon Curve, and that was only in February. So I don't think its too out of order to consider a means of swapping directly into the Curve!

Sorry. I thought the 755 debuted at $350 without discounts.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    I got Sprint to refund me the entire paid value of my HTC Titan if I bought a 755p outright. So basically I pay full price on the 755p but get refunded full price on the Mogul (I also got a rebate on both the 755p and Titan though).

This takes some talking though and Verizon is not Sprint.
    That's a good idea. Perhaps I can convince Verizon to refund my treo, if I pay full for the Curve. I did pay almost full price afterall...
  10.    #10  
    Tried this out, no go. Verizon rep said the phone must be replaced 2 or more times in order to change models. She said one time isn't enough.

Got my new (refurb'd) 755p in fedex this morning (very impressive how fast it got here), and am programming it now. I will give it a legitimate go, and see if it functions better than the last one. If not, I guess I'll negotiate the model switch with Verizon. Frankly, I'm keeping my eye on the new iphone release too.... but no push e-mail on the iphone is kind of a bummer.
    I have had my 700wx with VZW since 2/29. I have had 4 different phones. And as long as they have them in stock, they will not give you another. I just keep taking them back. It is a hastle though, because everytime I get my phone set up, something goes wrong. I have had this one for 4 days so far so good .
    Treo 800w
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennysangel View Post
    I have had my 700wx with VZW since 2/29. I have had 4 different phones. And as long as they have them in stock, they will not give you another. I just keep taking them back. It is a hastle though, because everytime I get my phone set up, something goes wrong. I have had this one for 4 days so far so good .
    Have you specifically asked for a new one? I'm wondering if I'll get that same runaround... I'm specifically avoiding the stores, and talking to people on the phone, who seem to be more helpful. So far, I've had to reps tell me the phone needs to be replaced "2 or 3 times" before I can switch models. I tried to make one rep specify the EXACT number of times before it could be replaced, and she very reluctantly uttered "2", after some pressing. So if I find reason to call again, I'm not taking "we'll send you another 755p" for an answer.

That said, I'm giving this 755p a fair shot. It ran fine out of the box, but I already see some of the little annoying problems pick up again... slow reaction times/delays, etc. May just be my imagination, but this phone seems to eat through the same battery a lot faster. Hardly used my phone at all today, and it was dead by 11pm. Maybe I got used to my 650's battery life again. I got to do a direct comparison to my old 650 while waiting for this one to arrive, and no doubt... the 650 was a great pleasure to use in comparison. Granted, the 755 has some nice feature improvements, and a much better form factor, but the phone just can't seem to handle the extra stuff!

I'm going to head into one of the stores and play with the Curve for a bit and see how I like it. Then take it from there.
    I don't know about your area, but when my Verizon Treo 755p died the 'Access Screen of Death' on May 8th, I called Verizon for a warranty replacement (the unit was only 5 weeks old). They told me they had none in any store in my area and none in the warehouses, and none in the supply chain.

During a very frustrating call with Verizon Customer Service (who are typically very helpful), I was told my options were to switch to a different phone or keep calling every day until they had them in the loop.

I'll wager if you call and ask for a 'replacement' you'll get the same song and dance, and it's possible if you make a huge enough stink, they'll let you switch over to something else.

Note that I ultimately *did* get a replacement directly from Palm's warranty services (but Verizon Wireless did not steer me to them at any time!)

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
  14.    #14  
    That would have been the easier route, for sure!

I'm satisfied with how things turned out though, as of today.

Here's the rest of the story...

I called Verizon yesterday, and got some dude who sent me to the INSURANCE division (Asurion?), saying they would help me out. I told the guy that didn't sound right, but he said that's what I need to do. Yeah, OK. So I called that number, listened to the voice prompts, talking about paying the $50 deductable, blah blah blah. No way. Totally wrong.

Called Verizon back today and explained again what I was trying to do (i.e. switch models). The guy said he would have to "escalate" the situation, and transferred me to someone else. This lady wanted to know what I thought was wrong with the phone. I expressed my issues with it, and what I wanted to do. She asked a bunch of questions, kept me on the line for a while. Eventually, she offered me a Blackberry Curve (my request) at the discounted price... after rebates, $160.

I took the deal. I figure I could get at least $200 for the 755p, which is almost brand new since I got it replaced only a little over a week ago. So I'll actually net ahead, or at least even.

Either way, the Curve should arrive tomorrow, then its goodbye Palm for a while.

Just a note, I'm glad a lot of people seem to like this phone. For me, the form factor, texture, keyboard... all that stuff and more make it a great device. I just don't get why mine is so sluggish all the time. And the locking up with no or marginal signal? Totally unacceptable. It was a pleasure to use my 650 again for a few days recently, even though it's a few years older. Oh well.

I definitely look forward to palm's future OS and phones... I really hope to go back! That new iPhone will also be very tempting...
    There are very view Verizon Wireless Treo 755p's on ebay. There are loads of Sprint one's though.

When my last Treo died (see above thread), I purchased a second-hand Verizon 755p as a back-up and won the auction at around $267 which was unusually low. You ought to be able to get close to $300 with the complete package, before listing fees, etc.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    Verizon will activate Sprint phones on their network from what I've heard on this board.
    well this is what happened to me I had the 700p, I told verizon that I want the treo 755p when it comes out and I'm not paying any money for it, so the first week it came out i got it for $45 because i had to pay the taxes on it.I gave that phone to my brother and i got the curve a week before it was suppose to come out for $106 online. If you complain a lot they may work with you I seem to alway get my way.
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
  18.    #18  
    I got an OK deal out of it. They gave me the blackberry curve for 160 after rebate, with a new 2 year service plan (they SCAMMED me on that one - the lady on the phone never mentioned it until the phone got to my house). So I wasn't psyched about that, but whatever. Anyway I then sold my barely used 755 for almost $300 on ebay, so I actually came out ahead.

By the way I absolutely LOVE the Curve, its such a great device!