1.    #1  
    As it no longer hard freezes my palm centro. Try the 4.1 beta. There are surely still some quirks, and I advise you only to press the "stop" button if absolutely necessary, but for me the worst thing about it was the random freezes for no reason that would require me to take the battery out. These freezes no longer happen. My JVM settings are 4 mb, 32 kb stack size, both boxes unchecked.

OM4.1b blows Blazer away in my mind, and now that I no longer get random freezes every 3 minutes, I can actually use it.

Oh - one more thing. If browsing sites with alot of images, clear your history every 3 or 4 pages or your phone will reset .

The main thing is just to experiment, really.

I hope you enjoy using it.
    jack
    Problem is most peoples gripe is the Palm JVM, which won't be fixed at all short of Dmitry releasing his patches for it.
  3.    #3  
    I know, the JVM has crippled OM for palm users, but all I'm saying is that OM has somehow overcome a major problem of the JVM making it once more usable.
    I went right back to blazer. Personal preference ofcourse but I find blazer better. and no worying about clearing pages , freezes if I do this , crashes if I do that. If it didn't have all these issues it would be nice but until that day ( probally never) I will stickwith the stable blazer.
    Would someone please post a link to the most recent version of Opera Mini that works well? I want the best of both worlds: I use Blazer for some sites, and Opera Mini for others.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Would someone please post a link to the most recent version of Opera Mini that works well? I want the best of both worlds: I use Blazer for some sites, and Opera Mini for others.

Yeah Tony

Oddly enough it's www.operamini.com

Scroll down to 4.1 Advanced beta and tap the link...

There will be a choice of downloading a Jar, Jad, Zip or prc files.

I would suggest downloading the prc right to your device if you already have Java installed.

If you have an earlier version installed, like 4.0.1.0406 the new 4.1.10781 beta will install next to the earlier version so you can compare them.

Opera 4.1 is pretty good so far.

Thanks. I had been going to http://mini.opera.com/. I wonder why they would have both?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

The opera mini site in general is rather unintuitive in general.

It's real easy to accidentally download Opera Mini 3 for example.
    Did you delete the older version, or should you for any reason?
    After trying the beta for a while, I deleted the old one.

nmoreman

You don't have to delete the old version. You can if you want to.

As I mentioned above, the 4.1.1 installs next to the old 4.0.1 version.

The default Palm launcher sees the old and new versions separatly and can launch one or the other.

Other launchers like Initiate and TouchLauncher only sees the previous version that is installed and launches it.

The launcher part of Resco Explorer sees both versions, but only launches the previous version that is installed.

I can't find the 4.1 beta on the mini site anywhere, looks like it was replaced by the 4.1 so I installed it. It asked me what palm device I had and the Centro was not listed so I clicked on the Palm Treo 680. The browser works fine but it seems to mess with my formatting and bleeds all over my launch page. Did I download the wrong version? Which treo should I click on when they ask me my model? It's a really neat browser.
    However fashionable it may be to blame IBM JVM for Opera crashes, it is simply not true. Just look how stable Gmail is with JVM on the Treo. Agreed that the Opera has to do some real complex things to display those web pages.
    Given the design of Java, it should impossible for any application to crash the device on which Java runs. Irrespective of how well or poorly Opera is written, these crashes can only be 'blamed' on the Java environment, i.e. on IBM/Sun or Palm.

Of course an application such as Opera should be able to fail and crash within Java even if the Java implementation is correct, but crashing the device should be impossible.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truspark View Post
    the Centro was not listed so I clicked on the Palm Treo 680. . . . Did I download the wrong version? Which treo should I click on when they ask me my model?
    I think I read somewhere that since the Centro is not specifically listed, you should use their generic option and pick the Advanced MIDP 2 option (it's called something like that). That's what I did, and it seemed to work OK.

However, there are a lot of reports about the 4.1 release of Opera Mini not loading images on the Centro. It happened to me when I got the latest version. I've heard that the Opera team is working on it, but don't know anything more than that. If you have a Centro, my suggestion is to use an older version. The 4.1 beta seemed to work fine for me, so you may want to stick with that beta version for now, until they can fix the image loading problem. I hope this helps.
    Can someone who is having success with Opera Mini on the Centro give me step by step instructions on exactly what version they have installed, how they installed it (web or through pc) and what settings they have for Java that have obtained optimium results? I have found that Opera Mini is the only browser that allows me to access my corporate webmail so I am committed to making it work. Right now I have 3.1.1 installed and I'm having a lot of issues with it freezing up. I've tried 4.1 for the Treo 680 and that worked well for a while then it started freezing up and messing with the formating of my launcher page so I had to delete it. It sounds like 4.1 beta has been the best version for Centro users but I can't find that specific app anywhere. Opera has replaced it with 4.1. Can someone PM me a link to that particular version?

I have double buffering checked off in Java and have set my memory max to 8mb and my Java thread stack to 32kb as has been advised but I still get the freezing up issues.
    I have double buffering checked and the 4.1 works well for me.

I mean the 4.1 BETA works well for me.

19.    #19  
    Point blazer to mini.opera.com/beta

Download and install the prc. Set java stack to 32kb, memory to 4mb, check double buffering and high res coordinates.

With these settings, I have 2 issues:

1) freezes when listening to music and browsing at the same time - simple fix - dont do both at the same time.
    2) resets after browsing through lots of images: fix UDMH - see my thread on it here:
    http://my.opera.com/community/forums...comment2553871

Quote Originally Posted by truspark View Post
    Can someone who is having success with Opera Mini on the Centro give me step by step instructions on exactly what version they have installed, how they installed it (web or through pc) and what settings they have for Java that have obtained optimium results? I have found that Opera Mini is the only browser that allows me to access my corporate webmail so I am committed to making it work. Right now I have 3.1.1 installed and I'm having a lot of issues with it freezing up. I've tried 4.1 for the Treo 680 and that worked well for a while then it started freezing up and messing with the formating of my launcher page so I had to delete it. It sounds like 4.1 beta has been the best version for Centro users but I can't find that specific app anywhere. Opera has replaced it with 4.1. Can someone PM me a link to that particular version?

I have double buffering checked off in Java and have set my memory max to 8mb and my Java thread stack to 32kb as has been advised but I still get the freezing up issues.