1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Well after experiencing MAJOR difficulties with Treos 650s and 680s on Cingular's/ATT Network then even trying an HP6935 running windows mobile with no luck either, I finally ditched Cingular and moved to Sprint, but went with a Sanyo 8400 and back to using my PDA Palm T3.

Needless to say the Treos when they were working totally hooked me on one device holding my business info, scheduling, music, photos and entertainment. So of course, I've been salivating for the Centro, specifically a RED centro.

NO, I did NOT want to wait until my service agreement was renewable next year in March, and NO I did NOT want to pay 600.00 for a phone! Persoanlly I think it totally unfair the way the carriers do NOT extend new phone bargains to their existing customers. But I managed to locate an online source that not only offered the Centro for 50 bucks, but also could extend my two year agreement for another 45.00!

Haha SPRINT Stores! I got my brand new Centro AND for way less than what YOU wanted to sell it to me for. Yes, it IS too a sprint branded phone, box and all!

So today I've been playing with my new Ruby Red Centro! I Got the battery charged, found a cool red with gold sparkles protective case, put on a screen protector and attached a cat's eye grey pearl wrist lanyard.

Now I am settling down to load my software. I am going to uninstall my old Palm desktop from my laptop to do a completely clean install.

Wish me luck! This is trully RED! I LIKE it! Hope it works!

Cheers!
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    If you want a deal within a contract, generally you have to deal with CS or eCare and talk your way into a deal.

Congrats on the Centro.
    ^correct. It wasn't difficult at all to get the Centro for $99 even for an existing customer under contract. At this price, it is reasonable enough to hang on to a dated OS. Enjoy your new Centro. My daughter loves hers.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  4.    #4  
    I tried the talk nice, please may I and the CS route several different times, at a few different Sprint outlets as well as online and over the phone - no go. Guess I don't have what it takes to sweet talk them , never did find a "sympathetic ear". Oh well, where there's a will, there IS a way!

So far so good, the installation has gone well, the battery seems to be doing well - It was shipped in the red zone and I let it charge 8 hours, undisturbed and with the phone off.

Turned on all the signals I could, cranked up pTunes and let the phone sit - to see how the battery works and to cycle it - I got 8.5 hours from it before it hit the red zone and turned off pTunes itself! I played with Google maps, Email setups and retrievals, so far so good.

I have entered the camera program but haven't used it - will check the forums for any known issues from that arena. Only Downloaded Sprintmail -but don't think I like it. Yes, it consolidates all my email accounts, but doesn't offer much flexibility to work with the messages. Like "mark as read or unread", move to different folders, etc. You can read or delete, or leave it be.

Am disappointed with my protective case, had to open it to put the Micro sd card in it and one of the retaining tabs has broken off and it appears that nother was broken when the tech installed it! For now it is staying wrapped around the phone, but will contact that dealer for a replacement.

Now to figure out how to get my contacts from the T3 into the Centro....

Cheers!,
    Kim
    for sprint users - you should watch the Dan Hesse video:

http://www.sprintenterprise.com/mayn...dma_hessevideo

At the end, there is an option to contact him.

I love sprint, but after being with them for close to 10 years, do you think they could treat me like an adult and dispense with playing games with 2 year contracts?

And how on earth do they charge $500 for a phone when you can get a lap top computer for less?
  6.    #6  
    Just wanted to offer an update - well, its been almost a week and I've used quite a few features of the Centro and must say I am VERY pleased! Absolutely ZERO crashes, no freezes and the only dropped calls have been in known signal changeover areas.

I've been able to "multi task" within a call and remain connected! Voice clarity is great whether on speaker or handset. I haven't paired it with my bluetooth headset yet.

I can get signal in my house where I could not before when on Cingular's and when using the other Treos and HP! I've even been able to download updates and the bonus software while at home over the air!

The battery is holding up very well. (however I do have all "automatic updates" disabled and turn off the phone radio during times when I know nobody in their right mind would be callling me.

I'm eagerly watching Seidio for an extended battery that won't require adding a half inch thickness to the device. Until that arrives, I think I can manage - too bad all the other Treo batteries I acquired won't fit the centro!

While some may say there isn't much different about the Centro as compared to the Treos - I say - look again! This device is very stable - wonder if it will remain so at that magical "30 day mark"?

So far the only outside programs I've installed are the Trial Voice it and Sprint Email - which I'm not so sure I like yet. I miss my Datebk6 which I used on the T3 and getting used to this MUCH smaller screen (from the T3)is at least made easy due to it's remarkable clarity and superb brightness! Even at high noon in the Florida sun I can easily read my screen!

Yes, I think I am going to be very happy with this device!
    Cheers, Kim
    It will start slowing down at least. You can help this with a hard reset + selective restore from NVBackup.

One of the main killers for stability is usually trying out new apps and/or uninstalling apps. That is why I normally create a NVBackup, install an app, if I don't like it restore the backup.
    I just got a bnib centro from best buy for $40. I also have a treo 700wx. I just couldn't pass up the deal for the centro. But I did have the rebate coming to me for the 2 year contract. Can't wait for the 800w to come out to have both. The centro is a good lil phone for being a palm
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    It will start slowing down at least. You can help this with a hard reset + selective restore from NVBackup.

One of the main killers for stability is usually trying out new apps and/or uninstalling apps. That is why I normally create a NVBackup, install an app, if I don't like it restore the backup.
    thats not true at all.
    If you use something like destaller that doesnt happen.
    So if you don't (which I would wager more people don't use Destaller than do), it will slow down. Also you will still run into fragmentation regardless of Destaller.

So it's not false.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    So if you don't (which I would wager more people don't use Destaller than do), it will slow down. Also you will still run into fragmentation regardless of Destaller.

So it's not false.
    lololol
    fragmentation of what?!?!?!?
    this is not a pc

any there are atleast 5 different unistall applications out there for palm.
    Most ppl like yourself are just uneducated in palm which is why they dont use any of them.

Not to mention u use NVbackup, Resco back up works better in many ways
    which futher confirms ur education of palm, how it works, and the applications out there.

Just get over it.
    The fact that installing and uninstalling apps does NOT slow your device down.
    I have over 10 pages of apps on the phone and another 20 on the card.
    I install and uninstall apps all the time.

And My phone runs faster then yours at any given time.
    You know why?

I flush the dbcache all the time.
    Ok, apparently you think the internal memory does not fragment.

I don't need to debate with you on that, you can look up the answer elsewhere.

any there are atleast 5 different unistall applications out there for palm.
    Most ppl like yourself are just uneducated in palm which is why they dont use any of them.
    I've used Destaller, and others. So only one of us makes uneducated assumptions.

I flush the dbcache all the time.
    Yeah it's real hard to use Flush It and have the dbcache flush all the time. *golfclap*

And My phone runs faster then yours at any given time.
    You know why?
    Wow, now you can see my phone performance. I'm done with this idiocy
    In the past 6 months of heavy usage my Centro has not slowed at all, nor have there been any stability issues. I only install standalone apps, no system tweaks etc.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700