1.    #1  
    ...when I use the ALT button to enter the special character "[" as part of my yahoo mail password...it happens like 8 out of 10 times.

So far, I have had no problem yet with this same button and character when composing messages or when saving a note..

To stress the point, the issue results only when I enter the special character "[" as part of my password to either my email account (or instant messaging for that matter)

I know I can work around this issue by changing my password, but I want to get this button and character to work without me having to change the password..

I tried soft, system or hard resetting, but still no help...
    (Just got the phone last Sunday, May 4th 2008 from Verizon)

Anyone could offer help?

Thank you in advance...
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmDM View Post
    I tried soft, system or hard resetting, but still no help...
    Are you sure you did a hard reset? A system reset (warm reset) is different than a hard reset. A system reset resets the device without loading extensions, and is performed by holding the up button when resetting. A hard reset clears the RAM, removing all data from the device, and is performed by holding the power button and pushing the reset button.

Also, you didn't mention if you were using blazer to check your email or a client, or what IM program you were using. If you're using blazer, try checking your email just after a hard reset and before loading anything else. If it still crashes, there may be something wrong with the device, and you should look into a replacement from Verizon. Any other clients/apps, make sure you have the latest version of that app, then try loading just that app after a hard reset. If it still crashes, it may be a problem with that app, and you should contact the maker.

If everything works after a hard reset, load your programs back one by one. If any of them cause the same issue, you may want to ditch that, or get a new version.
    Yeah it would help to know what you are checking your email with.

It could be email client related.
  4.    #4  
    TJSunDevil,

Thank you for the reply...

Let me try to answer your questions one by one...

Quote Originally Posted by TJSunDevil View Post
    Are you sure you did a hard reset? A system reset (warm reset) is different than a hard reset. A system reset resets the device without loading extensions, and is performed by holding the up button when resetting. A hard reset clears the RAM, removing all data from the device, and is performed by holding the power button and pushing the reset button.
    yes. i did that; all my downloaded apps got deleted...

Also, you didn't mention if you were using blazer to check your email or a client, or what IM program you were using.
    yes, i was (am) using the default web browser (blazer) as i still don't know what other options I have... and i was trying to check my email and use messenger through www.m.yahoo.com

If you're using blazer, try checking your email just after a hard reset and before loading anything else. i did and it still didn't work

If it still crashes,
    it doesn't turn off or die.. but it just freezes...the screen that asks for password is what stays even after i press the red button/power button several times.. so i just end up removing the battery

there may be something wrong with the device, and you should look into a replacement from Verizon. Any other clients/apps, make sure you have the latest version of that app,
    how do i update my blazer? i believe the ptunes gave me an option to upgrade and i did...

then try loading just that app after a hard reset. If it still crashes, it may be a problem with that app, and you should contact the maker.

If everything works after a hard reset, load your programs back one by one. If any of them cause the same issue, you may want to ditch that, or get a new version.
    thank you for the replies.. i'm new here and i will keep reading... i will come back and update this issue/concern..
    Last edited by PalmDM; 05/08/2008 at 04:08 PM.
    One thing that might be interesting is you create an account on another web mail (like gmail) with the same password and see if it causes a problem.

If so maybe it's a Blazer issue. If not, it's a m.yahoo.com issue or a combined m.yahoo.com + Blazer issue.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    One thing that might be interesting is you create an account on another web mail (like gmail) with the same password and see if it causes a problem.

If so maybe it's a Blazer issue. If not, it's a m.yahoo.com issue or a combined m.yahoo.com + Blazer issue.
    Thanks for the reply, papped -

as you suggested.. i tried on the following websites...
    still didn't work...in all cases, the phone froze...
    I had to take the battery out and place it back in..

If i could ask further help from you guys...

You don't actually have to have an account with

Yahoo- www.m.yahoo.com
    Aol - www.wap.aol.com
    Gmail -www.gmail.com

(1)go directly to the password box
    (2)press the ALT button and roll down to "["
    (3) see if the screen still responds...

Thank you in advance...

PS. Is there a way to turn the battery off without having to pull it out?

Thank you.
    Last edited by PalmDM; 05/08/2008 at 09:03 AM.
    I tried it with yahoo & gmail (the aol address wouldn't go) and it did indeed appear to cause the phone to freeze, although when you hit a button, it still makes a sound, but it doesn't appear to do anything.

Resolution:

Try this: Type a '(' first, then press the alt button to bring up the character list, and select '['. This worked for me, and I was able to continue inputting the password like normal, and it didn't freeze.

I'm on 700p hardware with 755p update applied to it, so it may differ slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmDM View Post
    PS. Is there a way to turn the battery off without having to pull it out?
    You mean perform a reset? I think they got rid of the reset button on the 755p hardware. There are some programs that will reset though. LJP has a button inside it to reset the phone. I believe Crazy alarms can schedule resets too
    Assume your phone isn't frozen you can get an app to do a soft reset (Cleanstart for example has this).

Otherwise you would have to design something clever that can terminate the battery connection to the device without having to open the case.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJSunDevil View Post
    I tried it with yahoo & gmail (the aol address wouldn't go) and it did indeed appear to cause the phone to freeze, although when you hit a button, it still makes a sound, but it doesn't appear to do anything.

Resolution:

Try this: Type a '(' first, then press the alt button to bring up the character list, and select '['. This worked for me, and I was able to continue inputting the password like normal, and it didn't freeze.

I'm on 700p hardware with 755p update applied to it, so it may differ slightly.

You mean perform a reset? I think they got rid of the reset button on the 755p hardware. There are some programs that will reset though. LJP has a button inside it to reset the phone. I believe Crazy alarms can schedule resets too
    TJSunDevil,

Your suggestion worked wonders...

Thank you very much.

PS. we just found another bug...