1.    #1  
    What are the pros and cons of each? Can anyone compare them?
    Last edited by maitemia; 05/06/2008 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Change message
    its illegal to to in the US
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    its illegal to to in the US
    What's illegal? to compare???
    Modifying a cell phone's unique equipment serial number is illegal in the United States.

Some common attacks involve cloning a cell phone's ESN and getting the network to forward all data to clone. I believe that this is much harder to do on the current digital systems, but the law is still in place that makes ESN cloning illegal. It is doable, not advised, and won't be discussed in 99% of the public forums.

Now, if you are referring to actually changing to a different phone (and not actually changing the phone's unique identifier), then that is a different matter. I like my 700p. I can't really compare it to a 650 since this is my first Treo.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Modifying a cell phone's unique equipment serial number is illegal in the United States.

Some common attacks involve cloning a cell phone's ESN and getting the network to forward all data to clone. I believe that this is much harder to do on the current digital systems, but the law is still in place that makes ESN cloning illegal. It is doable, not advised, and won't be discussed in 99% of the public forums.

Now, if you are referring to actually changing to a different phone (and not actually changing the phone's unique identifier), then that is a different matter. I like my 700p. I can't really compare it to a 650 since this is my first Treo.
    I didn't even know ESN stood for "Equipment Serial Number", let alone "cloning it! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a cel's ESN (on a 650) is permanently placed (how?) on its radio board (radio chip, module, card, whatever!), right? What I did was just change my radio board to a new mother board (MB) because my original MB wouldn't let me snap (it broke) into place my new screen. Once I did this I had a new phone with my original radio board. Is this illegal?

Beneath the battery there are three different sets of numbers: ESN DEC, ESN HEX and the S/N: Which of these is the ESN that you refer to? Also, the radio board has the ESN HEX printed on it, yet, if I remember correctly the one that my cel provider recorded was the ESN DEC... As you can see, I'm not a techie or a geek, but tinker around when need to (the mother of invention); besides, I don't have the time! Please educate...
    Quote Originally Posted by maitemia View Post
    I didn't even know ESN stood for "Equipment Serial Number", let alone "cloning it! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a cel's ESN (on a 650) is permanently placed (how?) on its radio board (radio chip, module, card, whatever!), right? What I did was just change my radio board to a new mother board (MB) because my original MB wouldn't let me snap (it broke) into place my new screen. Once I did this I had a new phone with my original radio board. Is this illegal?
    Ah, I see the confusion. The ESN can be stored in a few different ways on the call phone board, usually in ROM (which can be possible to change).

Swapping out the radio board in a phone is not illegal. As long as you don't actually alter the unique identifier on the phone board you can swap around the boards all you want.

Swapping the phone boards was common with certain revisions of the Kyocera 7135 (the a revision) because the phone board had a defect but the PDA board still worked. Verizon blacklisted all of the revision A ESNs. Some of the phone boards that contain a revision A ESN still work just fine, but cannot be activated. Changing the ESN on the board would be illegal, but swapping the board for a revision B ESN is perfectly legal.

So you're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by maitemia View Post
    Beneath the battery there are three different sets of numbers: ESN DEC, ESN HEX and the S/N: Which of these is the ESN that you refer to? Also, the radio board has the ESN HEX printed on it, yet, if I remember correctly the one that my cel provider recorded was the ESN DEC... As you can see, I'm not a techie or a geek, but tinker around when need to (the mother of invention); besides, I don't have the time! Please educate...
    The ESN DEC and ESN HEX are the same number, they are just expressed differently. The ESN DEC is in decimal (base 10, you count from 0 to 9 then repeat, incrementing the next significant place value by 1 when the previous place value gets to 0: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal) and the ESN HEX is expressed in hexadecimal (base 16, you count: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F. Then repeat. You increment the next significant place value to the next item in the counting sequence when the previous place value gets to 0: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexadecimal).

I guess I clobbered the ESN acronym. It is "Electronic Serial Number," but either really get the point across. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Serial_Number (a little technical, but provides some info).
    Again, illegal or not is personal and ethical issues. to change the ESN please see the mobile files forum thread
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d