1.    #1  
    Hi, I lost my 700p today. I've got insurance through Sprint so I have to pay $50 non-refundable to get a reconditioned 700p. That's what they say I'll get. Or I can get $150 off a new phone with a new 2-year contract. I'm on a SERO plan. I love my 700p unlike many comments I've read here. Mine always worked well. But I'm concerned the replacement may not.

Anyway I've never used the insurance before and could use advice. What should I do?

Hoping a good samaritan will return my loved one,

Kelly
    Claim, reload and move on--I hope you've a good backup, preferably on an SD card. Mine (VZW) became unusable and I did the same thing and got a better unit. Also kept my accessories (battery, stylus, charger); figured for the $50, I deserved them and never heard peep--I think they expect not to get them back.

Good luck.

David
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    dont buy another 1
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
  4.    #4  
    Thanks. I feel a little less shakey today. Finding an alarm clock last night was a challenge. But I'm up and thinking about moving on. I synced about 10 days ago so that's not too bad.

Of course, I never backed up on an SD card because I knew I'd never lose the phone. Have you heard that before?

Thanks again.

Kelly
    Lesson for others: not only do you back up to a card (it also helps if you install a bad program that forces a hard reset of your phone) but you have it upload to an ftp server after backup and then a lost phone will not cause a signification loss of data.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I see many posts about backing up to the card and such, and I can see the value of it. But why do I never see anyone talk about syncing to the computer? Doesn't that create an automatic backup? When I've had to do hard resets, it's been no problem, because I sync frequently, and there's my backup, sitting right there on the computer.

Is there a downside to this approach? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Hotsyncing to a computer will not help you when you are away from your computer. It's something that you have to manually do. And somethings are not quite restored the same way.

Backing up to the card will allow you to restore while you are away from your computer. Assuming you are also backing up to an ftp server, you can be reinstalled and running the same as before shortly after walking out of a store with a new phone and card. And its automatic. You don't haev to do a thing other than delete some of the extra backups on the ftp server once a month. The card will simply remove the oldest backup automatically.
  8.    #8  
    cavingjan, please tell me more about that program that hard resets your phone. The Sprint person told me such things exist -- who knew? She didn't know any details but she thought you could send a text message to the phone and it will hard reset. Is it something you have to install before you lose it?
    Butler has that functionality.
    Blue Pill is the other program that has that functionality.
    One of them has functionality to format the card remotely too but I don't know which one.
    I didn't see it mentioned anywhere above so i thought I'd add my 2 cents. Try NVEdit as a free backup to card solution.

It's a free download on opensourcepalm.com

It is 100% free and open source.
    Palm Downloads and Treo Tips and Tricks:
    Opensourcepalm.com
    Are you sure you don't mean NVBackup? I couldn't find nvedit on that website but they did list nvbackup.
    WOW - NVBackup is is. My bad., It's a great program. Does a FULL backup to the card in a matter of a couple of minutes.

I'm not sure where NVedit came from - maybe some sort of cell phone thing. Actually I think it's part of the BitPim program for LG phones...
    Palm Downloads and Treo Tips and Tricks:
    Opensourcepalm.com
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Lesson for others: not only do you back up to a card (it also helps if you install a bad program that forces a hard reset of your phone) but you have it upload to an ftp server after backup and then a lost phone will not cause a signification loss of data.
    What do you use to upload your backup to an FTP server?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    nvbackup has the option to upload the backup to an ftp server. (See server settings option in the menu)
    Probably offered in jest, but as a note, my 700P is being used by a family member and he continues to have no problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    dont buy another 1
    NVBackup handles this capability; however, if one is in an area with no cell phone coverage, then one is just plain outta luck when it comes to restoring the device. A device/card based backup solution is by far a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    What do you use to upload your backup to an FTP server?