Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I have been using ZLauncher flawlessly on my Treo 700p until today when I installed MobileWrite and NotifyMe programs. Ever since, my treo crashes after pressing the home key (the key to launches the Zlauncher) I uninstalled the MobileWrite and NotifyMe programs. Yet the problem persisted. Each time I was able to soft-resets my phone and got to the Phone screen, I was able to do ##377#. ZLauncher is always the culprit that caused the crash. I usually get the message thus: Bitmap.c, 1281, BmpSet Transparent Value: invalidtransparent color.
    Uninstalling the ver. 5.43 ver and install the newest ver 5.45 did not help. The program still crashed my Treo with the same message. Anybody experienced this? Please help!
    Fascinating to blame an application, although it could well be. Have you backed up the device, executed a hard reset and then installed only MobileWrite & NotifyMe? After that and no resets, then install ZLauncher and see what happens. NotifyMe at one time had an issue or two, though I have not bothered to keep up with it. I have no experience with MobileWrite other than what I have read.

Ben
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Yeah if you have been running ZLauncher for that long and no problems seems like a conflict of some sort with ZLauncher and the other apps. I know you deleted NotifyMe and MobileWrite and it still happened but there could still be some lingering files that didn't get deleted. Your only option may be what was listed above.
    Did you try those programs that let you know what causes a crash or reset. such as safeguard. I was having resets a lot and installed it and for different reasons it alerted me that Zlauncher was causing my resets. I couldn't figure out why but atleast it gave me the offending app and I switched to a different launcher and no more resets. I didn't those apps that you had so it can't be the same as your issue but try one of those apps and see what is causing the resets. worth a try.
    Ben's steps basically tell you what to do to troubleshoot the problem. Highly unlikely ZLauncher alone is the culprit, due to you stating that you used it successfully for a long time.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Yeah if you have been running ZLauncher for that long and no problems seems like a conflict of some sort with ZLauncher and the other apps. I know you deleted NotifyMe and MobileWrite and it still happened but there could still be some lingering files that didn't get deleted. Your only option may be what was listed above.
    Actually, I started using the Zlauncher flawlessly since last week (4/25/08), until I installed those two programs. As of now, I have uninstalled the Zlauncher from my Treo. Then, I reinstalled the MobileWrite and NotifyMe. Both programs are working okay without any reset. Since I am salivating to have Zlauncher back on my Treo, I am left with no option but to do what Ben recommeded above (a time-consuming undertaking). Will it be wise to use the opportunity of doing the hard reset to update my firmware to ver. 1.10 as well? I have dreaded doing the update because of the woeful experiences others have posted after doing the update.Has there been some measure of stability in the ver. 1.10 since its earliest release?
    I'm not sure if this will help now since the problem already exists, but for the future, if you have a backup program try to keep at least 3 days worth of backups on your SD card. This way you can do a hard reset and restore your Treo from a backup that existed before your problem started. Also, a program like UnInstall Manager can be useful. It watches your programs as you install them and then makes sure no residual parts are left on your device if you delete an application.

I also wanted to mention that I was (and still am on my TX) a faithful ZLauncher user with my Treo until I found out about Initiate (Propel by Iambic is identical to Initiate – either application will do). I found that I can do all the same things with it that I did with ZLauncher and more! It's great for a Treo user. I'm not sure, but switching from ZLauncher to either Initiate or Propel might help to solve your conflict problem.

Hope this helps!
    Shelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolsba View Post
    I have been using ZLauncher flawlessly on my Treo 700p until today when I installed MobileWrite and NotifyMe programs. Ever since, my treo crashes after pressing the home key (the key to launches the Zlauncher) I uninstalled the MobileWrite and NotifyMe programs. Yet the problem persisted. Each time I was able to soft-resets my phone and got to the Phone screen, I was able to do ##377#. ZLauncher is always the culprit that caused the crash. I usually get the message thus: Bitmap.c, 1281, BmpSet Transparent Value: invalidtransparent color.
    Uninstalling the ver. 5.43 ver and install the newest ver 5.45 did not help. The program still crashed my Treo with the same message. Anybody experienced this? Please help!
    Sounds to me like Zlauncher may not have completely flushed its internal record for an application you deleted. So when it goes to draw the 'deleted" application, it is causing the crash. A bitmap error is usually caused by the currently running application. The best way to confirm this is to load SafeGuard just to make sure another background application is not causing the problem.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellyMiddleton View Post
    I'm not sure if this will help now since the problem already exists, but for the future, if you have a backup program try to keep at least 3 days worth of backups on your SD card. This way you can do a hard reset and restore your Treo from a backup that existed before your problem started. Also, a program like UnInstall Manager can be useful. It watches your programs as you install them and then makes sure no residual parts are left on your device if you delete an application.

I also wanted to mention that I was (and still am on my TX) a faithful ZLauncher user with my Treo until I found out about Initiate (Propel by Iambic is identical to Initiate either application will do). I found that I can do all the same things with it that I did with ZLauncher and more! It's great for a Treo user. I'm not sure, but switching from ZLauncher to either Initiate or Propel might help to solve your conflict problem.

Hope this helps!
    Shelly
    are you getting any crashes? i have come to feel that zlauncher is crashing my treo
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    I have a Verizon 700p, so yes I do get crashes, but I think it's just because it's a 700p. The crashes are not consistently happening. I have LOTS more applications on my Treo, and it's just about as stable as a 700p can get.

I do have a friend that has a Sprint 755p and uses ZLauncher. She has no crashing problems. I honestly think you probably have the remnants of a bad application left over somewhere on your Treo.

I know you may not want to hear this, but the best way I found to get my 700p stable was to do a hard reset and re-install everything one by one. At times I would test the application that was giving me problems every so often after I installed a few more applications. I would also do backups periodically after installing a few more applications, so that if something installed did make my Treo go crazy I wouldn't have to start over from the very beginning. This may take a long time, but in the end it made for a much more stable Treo. I keep it this way by using the UnInstall Manager and a backup program that backs up to my SD card.
    ZLauncher never, ever crashed any of my Treo's. I can't think of a single time that I associated a crash with ZLauncher.

This is assuming you're using 5.x.. I tried the ancient 4.x version when I first got a 650 and that went horribly bad, but it wasn't made for OS5. 5.x was always great for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellyMiddleton View Post
    I have a Verizon 700p, so yes I do get crashes, but I think it's just because it's a 700p. The crashes are not consistently happening. I have LOTS more applications on my Treo, and it's just about as stable as a 700p can get.

I do have a friend that has a Sprint 755p and uses ZLauncher. She has no crashing problems. I honestly think you probably have the remnants of a bad application left over somewhere on your Treo.

I know you may not want to hear this, but the best way I found to get my 700p stable was to do a hard reset and re-install everything one by one. At times I would test the application that was giving me problems every so often after I installed a few more applications. I would also do backups periodically after installing a few more applications, so that if something installed did make my Treo go crazy I wouldn't have to start over from the very beginning. This may take a long time, but in the end it made for a much more stable Treo. I keep it this way by using the UnInstall Manager and a backup program that backs up to my SD card.
    SafeGuard gives you the ability to 1) see if SafeGuard can identify the problem directly or 2) use SafeGuard to begin quarantining applications until the problem disappears. This is typically the easier and quicker way to isolate a problem as opposed to doing a hard reset and reinstalling.

Jeff