View Poll Results: Have you been able to update you PRL

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have tried but I still have 60610

    15 93.75%
  • I was able to update to more recent than 60610 OTA

    0 0%
  • I got a newer version than 60610 by a store tech

    0 0%
  • my phone shipped with a later update so I don't need to update

    1 6.25%
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Many Sprint owners report not being able to get a PRL update. Most appear to have 60610 although there are reports that either 60611 or 60612 is the most recent
  2. #2  
    What is a prl, and how do we find out what we have?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    What is a prl, and how do we find out what we have?
    I could be wrong but believe it is a Preferred Roaming List...which tells the phone what towers to look for...again, I am not sure but this is what I believe it to be.

    Hopefully someone will chime in and set us both straight....
  4.    #4  
    Preferred Roaming List. Sprint phones will automatically find Sprint towers but won't automatically find the best tower when roaming off the network. This file tells the phone the location of other carriers towers with whom Sprint has a roaming agreement.

    You can find your version in the phone app. Press <menu> go to options and select phoneinfo. PRL Rev is on the second page. Also you can "dial" ##786 and press the green talk button and you get the same info.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    Preferred Roaming List. Sprint phones will automatically find Sprint towers but won't automatically find the best tower when roaming off the network. This file tells the phone the location of other carriers towers with whom Sprint has a roaming agreement.

    You can find your version in the phone app. Press <menu> go to options and select phoneinfo. PRL Rev is on the second page. Also you can "dial" ##786 and press the green talk button and you get the same info.
    Thanks...I have 60610 and just got the Centro on Monday. I'll look into this.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    Many Sprint owners report not being able to get a PRL update. Most appear to have 60610 although there are reports that either 60611 or 60612 is the most recent
    Is this a "Sprint-wide" issue or a Centro issue?
  7.    #7  
    gettn kind of one-sided
  8. #8  
    Is there a way to update without calling in and talking to CS. They always seem to grill you as to why you want the update.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyatbt View Post
    Is there a way to update without calling in and talking to CS. They always seem to grill you as to why you want the update.
    Well, no. And if you look at the poll, it appears there is no way to do it thru Sprint period (At least according to every forum I have been in including Sprint's Buzzaboutwireless). There is an 800 number that says it is doing the update (don't know if you need to be flagged first or not) but it doesn't actually do anything.
  10. #10  
    See this post at SprintUsers.com. It looks like someone was able to successfully update their PRL but it takes a little effort.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    See this post at SprintUsers.com. It looks like someone was able to successfully update their PRL but it takes a little effort.
    Yeah, I saw that post. I would say for me personally, it takes more than a little effort. It is a little risky (which is probably why Sprint doesn't do it this way in the store, they could since they should be able to get the QPST software legally as a Qualcomm customer) especially if you are a novice. It seems a bit like the phone equivalent of messing with REGEDIT on a PC. Very powerful and very able to totally brick your device.

    If you try it and have success let us know
  12. #12  
    Messing with the registry on a WM device is pretty easy and commonly done (considering you can speed up browsing considerably and speed up your device simply by changing some numbers). Not to mention you aren't going to brick your phone by messing with the registry...
  13. #13  
    60612! In store wired update!

Posting Permissions