Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Hey! I was excited to read the article by Jennifer Chappel, PDAmill Game Studios Giving Away Palm OS Games for Free.

So, I surfed over to their website on my Centro and downloaded Gamebox Asia directly on my device. It's comes down as a zip file, about 3 megs, and downloaded successfully to 'internal'. When it finished, it automatically launched Handzipper Lite, allowed me to unzip and install the game, everthing loaded. Great!

So I decided to try another download from their site. I downloaded Arvale, which is 5.62M, to the device, just like before. Again, once it was done downloading, HandZipper asks if I want to open the file. I hit ok.... and nothing. Hrm. Interesting....

I'm thinking maybe there was an error closing out the file after the download. I download it again, the device says file exists, do I want to overwrite, I select yes.... same results. HandZipper asks to open, I hit ok, and it simply goes back to blazer.

So I load up Filez, looking for the file. I can't find it! I search both internal and card, the file isn't showing up. I'm thinking one of two things are happening, or both... One, HandZip cannot handle files over a certain size, and Two, Filez doesn't recognize "zipped" files. I know its on the device, cause I tried yet again to download, and again it says file exists, do I want to overwrite.

Maddening! Why can't I find this silly file, and unzip it! (or even delete it... it's using up space).

PS) I downloaded it a third time to the card and still cannot find it using Filez.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Is the file located on the SD card? Default DL directory for Blazer is generally //CARD/Launcher or //CARD/Blazer/Download

If so you can check with a card reader or using CardExport.

Also, Filez doesn't care what the file extension is. It will list zip files.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Yes, its showing up in the blazer/download dir on the card. I'm wondering if it thinks I don't have enough room on my device and isn't writing the file. I tried to copy and past it from the card to the device, and it gave an error saying Error copy file: Database: Out of Memory. Delete old data or unneeded apps, etc. Strange thing is I show I have 12.9M free of 68.8M. I guess I need to figure out which of these silly files are old data. I've always been afraid to try cleaning house.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    what are all these "Ton" files, btw? "Ton-Mirror" "Ton-Oceandrive" etc. all about 125k or so. Some sort of sound files maybe? Do I need them?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Now that I think about it, if it wasn't writing the file because of space, it wouldn't be asking to overwrite cause it exists already. Perplexing.
    Ton files are ringtones. They are probably in the ROM so they are not actualy taking up memory.
    How exactly are you sure that the zip file exists on the internal memory if you can't see it and you are prompted with "not enough memory" when trying to migrate it from sd to internal?

Also I don't think HandZipper lite supports external memory cards at all if you are using the lite version.

You can try LightNZip and see if that works any better also.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    How exactly are you sure that the zip file exists on the internal memory if you can't see it and you are prompted with "not enough memory" when trying to migrate it from sd to internal?

Also I don't think HandZipper lite supports external memory cards at all if you are using the lite version.

You can try LightNZip and see if that works any better also.
    Handzipper lite may not directly support the card, but you can probably use blazer to open file:///palm/blazer/filename.zip. blazer should then invoke handzipperlite to unzip and install.
    This happens to me sometimes, the zip file is to big and it just disappears. I know its there hidden because it took a big chunk of memory, so I just have to Hard Reset & Restore
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    A question for you Micael.

You said you have a card, so why are you downloading zip files to your device RAM? This will suck up memory.

I would suggest getting rid of Handzipper Lite and use Handzipper Pro, LightnZip or Resco Explorer.

Resco Explorer is an excellent file manager that handles zip files too. Filez is fine as a file manager, but is limited.

Zip files should be saved to your card and will be found in the Palm/Blazer/Downloads folder.

ok....this happened to me and after much trial trial and error I finally figured it out!...Go in to filez and change the prefs to "show hidden files".now,in addition to"internal" and " card" you will now see a third choice called"builtin"...your large missing downloaded file is in there....
    B.Andrew "Andy" Brown MSW
    Executive Director,Camp Livingston Inc
    1-888-564-CAMP(2267)
    WWW.Camplivingston.com
    Thank for that long lost thing. Ben
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    Handzipper lite may not directly support the card, but you can probably use blazer to open file:///palm/blazer/filename.zip. blazer should then invoke handzipperlite to unzip and install.
    Excellent approach! Thanks! This worked for getting to zips on my card, and I successfully unzipped the file in question. I'm still concerned that there's a 5.6MB file on my device thats 'hidden' and eating up a huge chunk of space.

Micael
    Yep, the area was clear of any foreign files, but it is nice to come across that feature. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Excellent approach! Thanks! This worked for getting to zips on my card, and I successfully unzipped the file in question. I'm still concerned that there's a 5.6MB file on my device thats 'hidden' and eating up a huge chunk of space.

Micael
    Just do a hard reset and restore selectively with NVBackup.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by camplivingston View Post
    ok....this happened to me and after much trial trial and error I finally figured it out!...Go in to filez and change the prefs to "show hidden files".now,in addition to"internal" and " card" you will now see a third choice called"builtin"...your large missing downloaded file is in there....
    I got excited about this when I read it, and lo and behold, I don't have "FileZ", but I have FileProg 1.14 by Amit Gil. Maybe it was FileZ that I had on my old 650. My bad. This app doesn't have "show hidden files" option in preferences. What version of FileZ do you have?
    FileZ 6.8.3, has "show hidden volumes"
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    FileZ 6.8.3, has "show hidden volumes"
    Yes, I just downloaded that version. I checked that and didn't see a new choice called "builtin". He must have an older version, or maybe its because I'm on a Centro?

Update! I quit out of FileZ after setting that preference, and now I can access "Builtin". Awesome! Sure enough, I found the file! Thanks camplivingston!!
    Last edited by Micael; 05/01/2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Updated information
    its been a while since any1 posted to this thread but heres the correct answer from someone who played with the damn thing for hours... google "best apps for centro". click on the link of some guys opinion of the best apps that is on "palmloyal.com" somewhere in his top ten is a link that this guy has for it as a .pcr file. this matters because i tried desperately to dl this app and no other link worked on any other site..(oh, and dl it directly to ur phone, not th mem card)... once you download it it appears in ur apps.. from there u can go exploring. start downloading apps from freeware-palm.com or my centro.com ...anyways when you download an app, accept it into handzip, but the tricky part is that it will only let me unzip one thing at a time... so dl it, unzip it, check ur apps to see its there and repeat!!!!!! (oh p.s. to unzip when you dl a file to hand zip, ... go to apps, open hand zip lite, click on unzip at the top, click on the only thing thats there which is thetempexgDB [database], and the file(s) will be there. hit unzip/install. rmbr one thing at a time as the last thing you dl to hand zip lite will be the only thing there when you go to unzip!) happy downloading ppl : )