Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I thought I'd combine several questions I have into one thread since it is all about pretty much the same thing. After all, all I do is ask you guys questions . This is a PALM TREO 700p I'm talking about.

1. I used filez to put some APPLICATIONS on my SD card, but when I select "card" at the top of palm's standard launcher it's not showing up, even though FileZ says it is on the card, and the app is no longer in the rom. How can I fix this? I want to be able to select "card" and view the app. (I know the card is working fine because I have TCPMP in the rom and a movie on the card and I can play the movie that is on the card)

2. Is there a freeware "hack" that will let me open the apps from the rom, like a shortcut to the actual app that is on the SD card?

3. What is the BEST, most awesome launcher that LOOKS the best and works the best for the treo? I'm thinking about buying one, especially if it actually lets me open apps that are on the SD card. Plus, I'm starting to fill up with apps and the standard launcher just doesn't work too well when you have tons of apps on your palm. I'd like something that looks better and helps me manage all these apps better :P.

Please give the pros AND cons about #3 if you tell me a launcher. I want ya'lls opinions .
    The apps need to be in the palm\launcher folder on the card. Then the launcher (or any of the 3rd party launchers) can see them.

I don't understand what you are trying to do with #2.

TreoLauncher is a very nice lightweight launcher that should do most of what you want. It has a trial so give it a try.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    The apps need to be in the palm\launcher folder on the card. Then the launcher (or any of the 3rd party launchers) can see them.

I don't understand what you are trying to do with #2.

TreoLauncher is a very nice lightweight launcher that should do most of what you want. It has a trial so give it a try.
    Ah thank you so much! Now it FINALLY makes sense where I should put the files! ^_^

#2 - What I mean is that I want all the data of the app to be entirely on the SD card. But, I want to have like a "shortcut" in my main ram of the palm that will let me launch the program from the main ram, without having to first select the card then launch the app from there. I want it to look like the app is in my ram but have all the data of the app in the SD card .

#3 I'll download the trial. I've heard a bit about that launcher so I'll try it out .9
    If it is in ROM, it stays in ROM. However, if it is in RAM, then a third party launcher with the capability of moving/launching from the card will do what #2 wants. There are bunches of those third party launchers waiting to play. The one I use is ZLauncher.

Ben
    Like many apps, launchers have more to do with the user's personal preference then anything else.

For functionality, I would recommend Initiate Pro. Furthermore, HobbyistSoftware guarantees if you don't like it, that you can buy another launcher for 20% off or something like that.

Treo Launcher is a nice simple launcher with a small memory footprint that is very customizable when it comes to backgrounds, skins, etc. That is probably its biggest appeal.

ZLauncher is a monster program. It has a large memory footprint and does a lot of things. As a consequence, it lends itself to more stability problems. Nonetheless, many (like Ben) swear by it. Similar to Treo Launcher there are a lot of skins, backgrounds, themes, etc. available.

I have several launchers on my device (Initiate Pro, FastLaunch, a beta Touch Launcher, and the built in launcher with UltimatePhone. I like them all, but generally use Initiate the most.

There are many other launchers. The more significant ones are Launcher X, Hi Launcher, Fast Launch, and DA Launcher. All have free trials so check them out.
    Initiate is good; however, I found the screen way to busy and that is the main reason I have stuck with ZLauncher. ZLauncher lets you busy the screen as much or as little as you like. As for size, functionality requires resources and what it uses, it more than saves.

Ben
  7.    #7  
    Well I tested most of those that you guys mentioned, and so my favorite by far is Zlauncher. I love how you can really customize how you want everything to look and what's on the screen . Can you get different "themes" for Zlauncher? I'm thinking of buying it .0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidiot View Post
    1. I used filez to put some APPLICATIONS on my SD card...
    Put your apps in "SDCARD/PALM/Launcher" directory. Somebody already answered this in a previous post... The thing is, most applications have several associated files (data, libraries...) that go into the Flash. The default launcher does not manage these (laziness on Palm's part, I guess). So if your main reason to put apps on card is to save memory, that's no good. Enter applications like "LinkStart" that copy everything to RAM on launch and and delete these (or save modified data to card) on exit.

2. Is there a freeware "hack" that will let me open the apps from the rom, like a shortcut to the actual app that is on the SD card?
    The ROM is a compressed image of the whole shebang, and is decompressed and copied to the Flash on a hard reset... so there is no way to launch from ROM... I think. Someone, more knowledgeable than me may have a better answer for this.

3. What is the BEST, most awesome launcher
    It turns out, launchers are like religion. But I've settled on two that work very well for me: ScreenButton (ScrBtn) and PetitLauncher. Both are freeware. They do a single job and do it well. For launching from SD card, I have "LinkStart"
    Game over!
    For simple card launching, Link Start, ZLink and a couple of others work well - bare bones launching is what you get. I also use Launch-Anywhere (also from ZZTechs) and there are a couple of other launchers similar to it (Hi-Launcher is one of them).

Ben
    Zlauncher looks the best. Zlauncher also has a built in file manager and shortcut creator that work pretty well.
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...almDesktop.jpg

But I like Treo Launcher above all because it is WAY leaner (also means less features) and is very easy to make your own custom icons per app.
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9.../daoc/Main.jpg

AppShelf is pretty good too, although a bit harder to configure.
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9.../daoc/755p.jpg
    Last edited by papped; 04/28/2008 at 03:08 AM.
    I have Zlauncher , Initiate , Treo Launcher and Touch Launcher (in Beta) .

Zlauncher and Initiate are powerfull . both have Cons and Pros. Zlauncher is huge and not quite stable. some people ( small minority but I am one of them) it has led to resets and slow response but you can make the launcher just what you like . Very customizable , its terriffic. Initiate is just as powerfull but with a busy screen BUT it is the one laucnher where you do everything from the launcher including making phone calls and listening to music but both are tops for doing everything. BUT I prefer Treo Launcher . and I think as soon as Touch Launcher is out of Beta I will go back and forth with the two. Treo Launcher is extremly small footprint and is like a supplement to the default launcher . some features . Think SilverScreen (If anyone remembers that launcher) and the new Touch Launcher is more powerfull with more features yet still small and simple . Probally will fall inbetween the simple launchers like Treo Lauancher and the more powerfull launchers like Z launcher and Initiate.
    Personally I have a feeling Touch Launcher will become the best Launcher of all as it is small , stable , extremly cool (Iphon like ) and has alot fo the features of the big boys.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 04/27/2008 at 07:00 PM.
    Yeah that's the great thing about Treo Launcher. It's so small I can use apps that require large amounts of dynamic memory even with the launcher loaded (like ZDoomz for example) and it's always stable.
  13.    #13  
    Treo Launcher sent my palm into a reset-loop . So after fixing that I decided that I am pretty much positive I'm gonna use Zlauncher, despite a few problems Zlauncher might have.

Wish I could get Zlauncher for free . Anyone wanna give it to me if their not using it? :
    Thats odd.. Not even sure what in the Treo Launcher could cause a reset loop unless it's combating some other app.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Thats odd.. Not even sure what in the Treo Launcher could cause a reset loop unless it's combating some other app.
    aye that is odd. When I removed it it was fixed. I've used other launchers with my current apps and never had a problem :O
    I like using Zlauncher. I use several different tabs, and love that I can change the background pic for each tab. Plus, I can easily create tabs, put unused apps in that tab, and then hide that tab, or even hide apps that I don't use. (ie "My Treo" and "Quick Tour") I also like being able to keep some of my apps on my card, and yet easily create a shortcut so that I can easily access those apps. It took some time for me to learn my way around Zlauncher, and figure everything out, but, it was worth my time!

I tried Treo Launcher, and although I liked it, I liked ZL's features MUCH better. As for the price, I don't think it's all that expensive. Considering ALL that it CAN do, I think it's worth it. With ZL, you can also use the Quick Launch, to access the apps that you use most often, but since I use Fast Launch, I don't use Quick Launch that often.

VERY happy user of these GREAT apps:

TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial.
    Also check out the
    TAKEphONE skins , TAKEphONE skins thread

Verizon Treo 755p
    papped great Icons, especially the Firefox. Where did you get them, or did you make them?
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    The Zlauncher ones are just an icon set (zphone icon set I think).

Some of the Treo Launcher ones I just piece together from random images I find.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...daoc/Utils.jpg

Like that glimmermail icon in the earlier post is actually this monster called the Glimmer King from a game I used to play =P
    Last edited by papped; 04/28/2008 at 03:08 AM.
    http://www.crystalxp.net/galerie/en.cat.1.html

Tons of high res images you can turn into icons if you want to spend the time.

They have an even better Firefox one in one of the sets.

http://www.crystalxp.net/galerie/img/th_982.jpg
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Well I tested most of those that you guys mentioned, and so my favorite by far is Zlauncher. I love how you can really customize how you want everything to look and what's on the screen . Can you get different "themes" for Zlauncher? I'm thinking of buying it .0
    Here's a breakdown I did once of the elements that influence the "look" of ZL, including themes:

A ZL "look" derives from at least four components:

1. The "theme" or skin that controls the look of all the (nearly 400!) doo-dads (tabs/scroll-bars/etc). There are many existing ones to choose from e.g. see:]

Leslie Franke's amazing free stuff at:
    http://lesliefranke.com/download/files.php?cat=5

or

HPSkinStudio lets you edit existing themes, or create entirely new ones (and also those available for PalmRevolt) and this wonderful app is only $5 now.

2. The icon set used for application icons. Many pre-existing sets exist (e.g. see Franke site above). I believe you can create your own using the ZL third-party app Iconfactory.

3. The background that sits behind the app icons. Franke's site has nice ones, but you can use any image of your own.

4. The settings within ZL itself, by which you select the specific theme, icon set and background that you want, and many, many other fine details of the display.

There are probably also ways to alter the fonts used by ZL, but I dont know about that.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast