Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    OK - I have a 700P with Verizon and am thinking of switching to the Centro when it becomes available. I have had better luck than most with my 700P, mainly suffering through the erratic behavior when I have marginal signal (like at work) or after receiving text messages. I know about the smaller battery/screen/keyboard but for those Centro owners that switched from 700P, is it an better/worse as far as spazzing out with marginal signal - and does it have better/worse signal strength? I'm pretty sure that if there were a tower near my work, I would have few problems with my 700P. Thoughts?
    A bit of reading answers all of these questions. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    A bit of reading answers all of these questions. Ben
    What he said. But the one word answer is, "better".
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Many will convince you the Centro is the way to go. I'd just approach it very carefully as indeed, after coming from a 700p the device may not feel that much as a general HW improvement but rather a better ergonomic experience.

The Centro is no significantly better than the 700p under the hood. The HW specs are very close, you may see a marginal improvement in the firmware (so no 700p hiccups if are familiar with them) but the main apps and functionality remains the same. In that sense, most of what you already have for the 700p (in SW terms) you can migrate to the Centro.

However, you will have to change your SD card collection since the Centro requires the smaller mini SD cards.

Anyhow, if anything the ergonomics are a plus on the form factor, getting rid of the antenna makes it sleeker and the size is much better. The Keyboard is on the small side and, after trying one out at the store I just can cope with it since I am now so used to the 700p that the Centro feels to small.

So as long as you don't expect any groundbreaking changes, you already know anything you need to know about the Centro by being a 700p owner...
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Never had a 700p, but my 755p and Centro have been solid all around.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    What he said. But the one word answer is, "better".

Read all you all want. We all do, but if you believe evertying you read you in for a lot of disapointments. Just asking for those who have them, what do you think?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I went from a 700p to the centro. Dont see myself going back. Form factor, size, weight, etc are sooo much better.

There are some advantages with the 700p tho'. 1. battery life - I now have to carry around different chargers to keep the centro charged. with the 700p I never had to worry about running out of power in one day of work.

2. signal strength - not a huge difference, but 700p seemed to have better signal strength. If I carry both units around and compare them side by side, sometimes the 700p will have one more "bar" than the centro.

3. bluetooth? - bluetooth seemed to work better with my 700p. better reception.

my 2cents.

good luck
    The battery was definitely better with the 700p, but that's understandable since it was bigger.

I find that the signal strength and Bluetooth are a lot better compared with my 700p. Even after I updated my 700p to a 755 flash, the Bluetooth still dropped connectivity. With my Centro, the connection remains paired and only drops when I move the phone out of range of the BT device.

All I can say is try one and return it during the demo period if you don't like it. The difference in size is about the only thing that you need to determine for yourself.
    The Centro is very stable, there are no problems and no waiting for firmware updates. It just works.

Can't compare with a 700p but coming from 650 I finally have a functional device. A pleasure to use.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    And this question has been asked numerous times - another repeated question and another....

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by treogolfer View Post
    Read all you all want. We all do, but if you believe evertying you read you in for a lot of disapointments. Just asking for those who have them, what do you think?
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I have had three Verizon 700p's (with both ROM versions) and now have a Verizon 755p after spending some time with a Sprint 755p. I've spent some time with the Sprint Centro and I think I can safely draw up the following list:

Centro Pros over 700p:
    -Much Better performance (less lag) than the 700p and somewhat more stable (this is the biggie)
    -Marginally better voice quality & reception (a secondary factor but still important)
    -Brighter, whiter LCD
    -Louder earpiece & speaker volume
    -Bluetooth is slightly more reliable but nothing to get excited about
    -Slightly newer OS & much newer/improved software bundle (DTG 10, PTunes Deluxe)
    -Centro has a few mb more of available RAM (although smaller DBheap/cache sizes IIRC)
    -Marginally better quality camera
    -Smaller formfactor with less weight & no external antenna
    -Lower price (both full retail/unlocked & with contract)

700p Pros over Centro:
    -Larger LCD (this is a huge factor for me)
    -Higher capacity standard battery (this is another huge factor)
    -Larger, better quality keyboard with "smile" layout (this is the 3rd biggie)
    -High-capacity OEM-size Seidio batteries available (up to 2600mAh)
    -Uses fullsize SD/SDHC cards--up to 16gb capacity unofficially, more compatible/durable and easier to insert & remove.
    -Arguably better physical build quality on the 700p (but both the 700p & Centro are "slick" compared to the 755p & 750)
    -Much better stock stylus
    -Reset button under the battery door
    -Many more accessories available on the market

For me personally, a 755p is my device of choice as I prefer the keyboard/screen/battery size over the Centro...and the Centro is still not yet available on Verizon. For most users, the Centro would be the way to go, especially over a 700p. I can go on record saying the 700p was the 2nd worst Palm OS device I've ever had, right there behind the horrendous LifeDrive.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    My 700P initially had problems. Both of my 650s required much more attention and neither was as stable as the 700P..

Your pros and cons though - a bit on the personal side. I like the much smaller card. i would say the voice quality is much better. The larger LCD was at first an issue, I have more than adjusted for it. The keyboard, not a problem and I use my device for hours at a time. The battery - the pay off for a smaller device. I would prefer a non-slick case. The reset sucks - I drilled a hole in the case of my 700P to get to the reset button.
    My 700P initially had problems. Both of my 650s required much more attention and neither was as stable as the 700P..

Your pros and cons though - a bit on the personal side. I like the much smaller card. i would say the voice quality is much better. The larger LCD was at first an issue, I have more than adjusted for it. The keyboard, not a problem and I use my device for hours at a time. The battery - the pay off for a smaller device. I would prefer a non-slick case. The reset sucks - I drilled a hole in the case of my 700P to get to the reset button.
    you liked the 755 or centro?
    I liked both when I was looking to buy and went with the Centro after using my wife's red Centro. The time period to adjust was not too bad. The provision to reset it via pulling the battery bites though.

Ben
    I liked both when I was looking to buy and went with the Centro after using my wife's red Centro. The time period to adjust was not too bad. The provision to reset it via pulling the battery bites though.

Ben
    frustrating that we actually have to be concerned where the reset button is.

thanks for your input!