Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK NOT MAJOR MINOR ISSUE

on the silver area by the camera when you lay the phone down it sits on this edge and you can see how it sticks out

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...Review02-1.jpg

no that edge that is circled is deteriorating and the silver paint is being rubbed off and the black underneath is being exposed only where it is rubbing off

what is a fix to this i ordered an invisible shield and will find out if it has a piece for this if not im not sure what to do
    Last edited by cmurra6745; 04/24/2008 at 01:28 AM.
    Why is this a "major" issue?

Sure, cosmetic scuffs, scatches and wear are unfortunate, but correct me if I'm wrong, your phone still works, correct?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #3  
    yea but its a design flaw
    So, it really does not affect anything - just heavy usage will cause the same thing. If it bothers you, get the extended battery before it becomes an item of the past.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    So, it really does not affect anything - just heavy usage will cause the same thing. If it bothers you, get the extended battery before it becomes an item of the past.

Ben
    ...or get a shell which will not just protect the Centro in a fall, but also keep the protruding edge's silver paint safe ;-)

Jochen
    The invisibleshield has a piece that covers the silver area. Just be sure to position it as close to that edge as you can to protect it.
    Are you even aware as to why this was incorporated into the AT&T devices?

I am pretty sure the Sprint devices do not have this and I know for a fact that my unlocked Centro from the UK does not have this and my wife's unlocked Centro from Asia does not have this so called "design flaw". Both of our devices are perfectly flat on the backside.

However, if I have my phone lying flat on the desktop the sound becomes somewhat muffled or muted and the db level of the ring is reduced.

This very small "design flaw" was added to give just enough rise to the device so that when it is lying flat, there is a very small open area that will let the sound escape.

Carl
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    I'm on Sprint, and that's my only "bald spot" on my phone. I figured the Palm button would have been the first thing to go. It doesnlt really bother me; now if the underlying plastic was a neon orange, or something, then it would be annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster View Post
    This very small "design flaw"...
    I think it is a design flaw too... but these things are not made to last, and besides, the sound problem (ref: quickster) is more important. Paint should not wear of under normal use.
    Game over!
    A Krusell Cabriloet case for the Centro will prevent this problem.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    This thread is absurd -- this is merely a cosmetic issue, not "major" at all. The silver-colored bezel on the back is obviously designed to protrude slightly from the rest of the back, for who knows what reason (only "design"? only functionality (more space underneath)? both?).

If this level of cosmetic "issue" -- ie the paint rubbing off in this small, typically unseen, spot -- is of great concern to someone, given the wealth of other facets of such a complex device, one has to wonder about someone's priorities and mindset.

But to each his own.

And believing that "paint should not wear off" is ludicrous. Paint will essentially always "wear off" given enough rubbing and time. It will even wear off over the years underneath the best case one can get, if one handles and uses the device over a sufficiently long time (with my T650 it was ~ 1 yr for paint to start wearing off under the case, which was lined with that nice soft stuff).

The only way I know of (as an engineer) to get relatively assured "lifetime" persistence of surface coloration (for plastics) in the face of unknown abuse, is to use plastic made of the desired color, period.

I will venture to guess that they use paint in order to have fine-grained control over color, luster, "feel" et al -- for the showroom experience. I'll bet that long-term robustness was somewhat further down their priority list. Most folks will replace the device in a year or two in any case.

Oh, and with paint, the actual color of the plastic is of less-to-no concern.
    Last edited by mobileuser; 04/24/2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: clarifications
    mobileuser
    [PalmCentro-Sprint / (K)Ubuntu GNU/Linux]
    Quote Originally Posted by JuggleNuts View Post
    I'm on Sprint, and that's my only "bald spot" on my phone. I figured the Palm button would have been the first thing to go. It doesnlt really bother me; now if the underlying plastic was a neon orange, or something, then it would be annoying.
    Is your Sprint phone a recent release?

Carl
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Thanks for the heads up. I put a small piece of tape on that area to protect the paint.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I have a skin on my wife's Centro and not mine, as I have the extended battery. The issue to me is not one I have much concern over. Ben
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    and?
    The skin does protect the device very well. I have the extended battery and no skin exists for it at this time. The 5-way on both of my 700P devices were lacking paint after a few months, but the devices worked fine.

As a note, the Centro I have is the first Palm device I have had that is not wearing a skin. If one existed for the extended battery setup, it would be on the device and still stored in a hard leather case.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileuser View Post
    And believing that "paint should not wear off" is ludicrous. Paint will essentially always "wear off" given enough rubbing and time....
    I believe that the complete statement was, "Paint should not wear of(f) under normal use." Paints are sometimes "harder" than plastic, one of the reasons why one goes through the extra expense.

EDIT: The reason why such a situation becomes acceptable is, a cellphone is generally perceived as cheap and disposable... imagine a watch, a laptop, or spectacles, or even a car in its place - even my painted MS Mouse has weathered well... though it could be considered more "disposable" than my phone (not a Centro, yet).

EDIT2: The thing is, the paint wearing issue could have been avoided if it had been identified as a problem... etc.

EDIT3: It took all of two years for paint to wear off on my Nokia, which had the camera cover in a similar fashion. (Nokia 6650, the old one, not the recently announced T-Mobile version - How could companies recycle product designations?)

Last edited by GreenHex; 04/24/2008 at 02:10 PM.
    I have a sidekick which the plastic corners on the back WORE OFF (they are now flat). Not the paint, the actual hard plastic. Normal, everyday use will wear down anything that touches a surface and has some friction over a long period of time.

If you don't want something to wear off, don't let it touch anything.
    No, it's not a recent release. I got mine the Friday before it was officially released.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    FYI, a metallic silver Sharpie matches the centro silver color almost perfectly. I fixed my worn spot that way FWIW.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast