Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dmitry has made SkinUI freeware!

"skinUI is a palm application/hack that changes the way the user interface looks. This means that there is no more need to look at all those square boring buttons and scrollbars and the rest of it all."

It's available at www.palmpowerups.com
    Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I wonder why. I hope this isn't another sign of the dying Palm economy.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsaroff View Post
    Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I wonder why. I hope this isn't another sign of the dying Palm economy.
    No I dont think that's a valid conclusion in this case. He is just about to start a job, and will now be continuing his studies in his spare time, leaving insufficient time for developing. I dont think he was ever primarily driven by economical considerations in any case - as is supported by the fact that he is making free what is his own favorite app, and I imagine the app of his most popular amongst us.

I think its a great gesture on his part, totally in the spirit of how he has operated in all the time Ive been in the Palm community.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  4.    #4  
    This is his quote from 1src:
    http://www.1src.com/forums/showthrea...92#post1043592

SkinUI is now freeware, as a little treat to all you guys. You've supported me and my programming for five years now, and I only hope that you enjoyed this time at least as much as I did. Thanks.

This is a sort of an early farewall post, just a bit ahead of its time. nuRom for LifeDrive is done and will be released soon and SDHC driver for Palms will be my last official project. I will, of course, continue to fix and update old projects, but unless something changes dramatically do not forsee many new ones. I've done all I wanted, and I've had plenty of fun along the way.

Long Live PalmOS!
    Just another addition on why to choose SkinUI over PalmRevolt now
    Anybody havingproblems with this on a 700p? I consistantly get resets with the phone app.
    Could someone please explain about importing skins from PalmRevolt to SkinUI? Must they be in RAM or can they be on the Card, and if so, in which folder on the card?
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Anybody havingproblems with this on a 700p? I consistantly get resets with the phone app.
    same here . Had to remove skinui...
    I was also having this problem, but the resets stopped when I unchecked "Big Buttons" in the Effects configuration. I'm really hoping Dmitry will remedy this bug so we can have the Big Buttons skinned without resets, but I truly appreciate his parting gift in making skinUI free. I made some changes to the Capsule-Blue-UI-2.2 (a version 10 skin with animation effects) and it's really beautiful!
    I uninstalled it yesterday. I decided to try again today. Yesterday it was skinning my outgoing call screen (complete with the big buttons). I'm not sure whether it was the phone app or the 2dial that actually caused the reset. (twice) I didn't have time to play yesterday. This morning I installed it again and for some reason it is not skinning the phone app (I didn't exclude any apps or change and of the default settings. AKA same setup as yesterday). Today I do not have any resets. This is strange. I think I'll just exclude the phone app along with a few others that look goofy in its half and half state (versamail, handyshopper, and web)
    I think SkinUI was originally made for Palm PDAs and expanded later for Treos. That is why it is necessary to uncheck the Big Buttons. I find that it really slows down my device. I'm going to play with it some more. It has a lot of cool effects, but as a novice user, so far the downside is worse then the upside.
    I did play some more and got it to reset a couple of times. Unchecking the Big Buttons fixed that. Then I discovered that holding the home button down would no longer start the last used app although it still brought up the list which was skinned (and looked nice.) I unchecked Popup Lists and that seems to have fixed that too.

Point of reference: I'm using the OS X skin since that had the fewest visual artifacts of the ones I tried (including the make glass).

I wonder how long until Nacho and McCentreville turn their talents to these skins?
    After a reset on my 650 (not sure if it was initiated by SkinUI), starting the phone application would reset the device every time, until I selected the default Palm skin in SkinUI. I could then select another skin and continue to operate without problems.

I wonder how long until Nacho and McCentreville turn their talents to these skins?
    Dmitry seems to have the facility to update skins on his site. Under Download>Experimental (page 2) there is an item titled SkinUI cobalt skin source, described as The source code and build package for SkinUI cobalt skin, to be used for making other skins. I haven't used it, but it would seem that you simply edit the supplied set of bitmaps and run the batch file to generate a resource .prc file.

http://www.palmpowerups.com/download...=2&rowstart=15
    It's on my list, to make something to match some of the Takephone skins. Unfortunately, it's much more complex and will require me to have a little more free time than I have at the moment. But I'm definitely thinking about it
    Check out http://mcentreville.deviantart.com/ for skins and wallpapers for TAKEphONE.
    I was also having resets after hanging up using the Phone app. As some of you've noticed already, the issue was with the "Big Buttons" checked for Phone, so I unchecked it. However, for some reason, it reset it automatically, so I had the Big Buttons unwillingly set on Phone and crashed again after hanging up.

This issue wasn't happening on the previous version 2.0.5.0. It didn't had the Big Buttons setting on Phone, but this seemed to be by default, since I didn't had to isolate the settings on Phone, then. This default setting is not present with the latest version 2.2.0.0.

I hope Dmitry can resolve the issue.

Cheers.
    Anybody know what the 'Skin Compression' pref does?
    hey if u have those resets with
    skinui (mine were in the phone app) go to options turn off skinning for " big buttons". now
    mine works perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by smcdonald View Post
    hey if u have those resets with
    skinui (mine were in the phone app) go to options turn off skinning for " big buttons". now
    mine works perfect
    smcdonald:
    That's exactly what I did. However, if I dial a number from a third application like, say, Google Maps or Tryda, then the Big Buttons on Phone get skinned, and then the system crashes after hanging up. This happens with version 2.2.0.0. only, it didn't happen with my previous version 2.0.5.0. With the previous version, the "Big Button" setting on Phone simply didn't exist by default, and wasn't turned on from a third application like Google Maps or Tryda.

That's why I'm back to using version 2.0.5.0., which was not free, like the current one is. So, in order for other people to use the free version, the Big Buttons issue on Phone app needs to be fixed.

Cheers
    Remove the big buttons from all of the apps (default plus whatever apps you have listed separately.) It is not only with the phone app.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcentreville View Post
    It's on my list, to make something to match some of the Takephone skins. Unfortunately, it's much more complex and will require me to have a little more free time than I have at the moment. But I'm definitely thinking about it

HPSkin Studio my friend.

It makes things so easy. I think I edited almost all my skins in a way that I liked. I havent had anytime lately either but takephone/skinUI matching skin sets is in my future.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast