Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    This link explains how the new fonts apparently work and why they only work on color displays (link courtesy of palminfocenter.com):

http://grc.com/ctwhat.htm
    Woah, thats really cool - it defeinetly deserves a 2.0 status then.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Originally posted by Rob
    This link explains how the new fonts apparently work and why they only work on color displays (link courtesy of palminfocenter.com):

http://grc.com/ctwhat.htm
    GREAT Link! Thanks!
    Very interesting page. Actually I was using Simple Sketch last night on my Prism, and was doing some detailed touch-up stuff, so I was holding the Prism at different angles, etc. I did notice that if you looked really closely, the pixels would appear to be different colors.
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    So this makes you wonder, if it looks more hi-res on a Prism, how would it look on the Clie????

Also, does this mean now I gotta go out and get a Prism?
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
  6.    #26  
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    So this makes you wonder, if it looks more hi-res on a Prism, how would it look on the Clie????
    I was wondering that myself, specifically:

1) Is the benefit (greater, less, the same) on a 320x320 display as on a 160x160?

2) Does WordSmith's implementation of this run on the Clie and Handera machines?
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    WordSmith doesn't have built-in support for the higher resolution of the Clie yet, as far as I know, but the Clie automatically puts fonts in a higher resolution so it may not work at all. The HandEra is a Monochrome PDA so it won't work on that.

One poster on Palm InfoCenter said he saw a demo of it and said that it was great, he compared it to PocketPC's truetype technology and said it was at least equal to it if not better!
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
  8. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by bookrats

2) Does WordSmith's implementation of this run on the Clie and Handera machines?
    It won't work on the Handera, since it's not color -- check out the link I posted above for an explanation of why you need a color LCD (not CRT) to do this type of sub-pixel font rendering.
    Three things I want on the next version:
    • Bullet support
    • Bullet support
    • Bullet support
    I sure hope they plan on adding hi-rez for the Handera and a Rotate screen option. Then I can read and type in landscape mode..... (well not type get untill I figure out how to make a cable for my PPK so I can turn it sideways)

heyday
    www.handerazone.com
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    Three things I want on the next version:
    • Bullet support
    • Bullet support
    • Bullet support

Can you say TABs (or did I miss that having been added already ) ?
    Tabs have been added (very cool) it's in the paragraph thing. it's like ctrl t? on a stowaway. it works nicely though.. (or si ctrl m..) something like that.plus, as I've told them.. THEY NEED MEMPLUG SUPPORT!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by heyday
    I sure hope they plan on adding hi-rez for the Handera and a Rotate screen option. Then I can read and type in landscape mode.....
    No need to wait for that. They have already implemented that in version 1.12. From the WordSmith web page:

Update description
    Version 1.12
    Mac OS Conduit: WordSmith now includes a bi-directional synchronization conduit for Mac OS!
    HandEra 330 support: including its higher screen resolution (320 x 240 versus 160 x 160 on other Palm Powered devices), collapsible Graffiti area and jog wheel capabilities.
    They released this version shortly after the Handera 330 started shipping.
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    Tabs have been added (very cool) it's in the paragraph thing. it's like ctrl t? on a stowaway. it works nicely though.. (or si ctrl m..) something like that.plus, as I've told them.. THEY NEED MEMPLUG SUPPORT!
    True TAB support has not been added, at least to my knowledge. I would like the ability to hit the "TAB" key and actually have the cursor TAB over. I believe what MIRADU is talking about is the ability to INDENT.

MIRADU, if you know something I do not (which is highly possible) please explain it to me. Thank you.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    One poster on Palm InfoCenter said he saw a demo of it and said that it was great, he compared it to PocketPC's truetype technology and said it was at least equal to it if not better!
    I think it is actually the ClearType technology that they use in the MS Reader (which is used on the PocketPC).

TrueType is an Adobe thing (if I remember right) that is a way to deisplay printer fonts on a screen so you can have true WYSIWYG.
    Originally posted by GSR13
    True TAB support has not been added, at least to my knowledge. I would like the ability to hit the "TAB" key and actually have the cursor TAB over.
    From the press release:
    Other noteworthy new features provided by WordSmith 2.0 include:
    - Ability to preserve tables, images, footnotes and more
    - True tab support, including hanging indents
    - More navigation and counting options, including the ability to “go-to” and count bookmarks, comments, footnotes, images, and tables
    - Ability to password-protect documents and assign the same or different passwords to any of your documents
    - New preferences for saving documents, memos, and Asian language hacks

*impatiently* waiting...
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"
  17. MPM
    Originally posted by flips13
    <snip>...TrueType is an Adobe thing (if I remember right) that is a way to deisplay printer fonts on a screen so you can have true WYSIWYG.
    Actually Apple invented the font rendering technology called TrueType. It was in response to Adobe's Type 1 Postscript fonts which would not render very well on Macs (or PCs) and that, at the time, cost big $$$. They also only worked with Postscript printers. So Apple invented TrueType and then licensed it to printer manufacturers and even Microsoft. Adobe's answer to TrueType was a bit of software called ATM (Adobe Type Manager) that rendered Type 1 Postcript fonts on your desktop. ATM never worked well for me, and worked very poorly with non-Postscript printers, so I stuck with TrueType fonts.
    Originally posted by flips13

I think it is actually the ClearType technology that they use in the MS Reader (which is used on the PocketPC).
    Yeah, thanks for catching that. Looking at your linke, I see ClearType uses the exact same method to make the text look better.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    MPM - thanks for clarifying the old TrueType / Postscript 1 story - I knew I had it partly right.

Matthew - Yes, the ClearType does work exactly like what the other link showed. But, now I understand why it works. When I forst saw the ClearType stuff on my PC, I thought "big deal, I can'y see any difference". But now that I have looked at it on an LCD screen (I now have a laptop!), it really is a big deal.
    Even though I own a copy of WordSmith I have to give a hand to BlueNomad for having it work as an e-book reader for free, I know many people would be willing to pay for just an e-book reader with the FineType tech.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast