1.    #1  
    Hello,

I am new to this site and I see that there are a lot of people to help and that are knowledgeable. Here is my issue. I am trying to use VNC to connect to my PC from my Centro. I know how to VNC into my compr from other computers, but the palm seems confusing to me. This is what my palm reads:

I have MicroVNC by the way. for some reason, PalmVNC does not work. So I removed it.
    Sorry...ok here is what my micro setup states:
    Name:
    VNC host: host.company.com Display: 0
    VNC Password:
    SSH HOST xxx.xxx.x.x
    SSH Port: 22
    SSH User:
    SSH password:

I am not sure in the slightest what to enter in here.

Actually, what I would really like, now that I am thinking about it, I would like someone who is Kind enough to just give me step by step instructions on how to set the computer up and the Centro up for me to connect. That way I do not get even more confused. I have been trying to read online tutorials and even went on yahoo answers and just got no where. Anyone willing to help? It would be greatly appreciated. I am lost! Thank you in advanced!!!
    Did you download the file mentioned by the developer?

"* When using Tungsten T3 of PalmOne, you need to install the additional library for enabling a DIA function. A required file can download from here. (This is not the distribution of our company but a distribution from PalmOne.) "

http://www.hitachi-system.co.jp/mVNC...h/index_e.html
    Palm VNC works fine for the Centro. Been using that proram since my 600 and no issues at all.

Where do you get the PRC files for MicroVNC ?? I wanted to give it a spin to see how it comapres and the web site is in japanese. (The manual is in english) I cant figure out where palm PRC file is and where the file is I need to isntall the server on my PC ( Or can I ue the same VNC server that PALM VNC is using (WinVnc) ?)
    Can you get it to connect to a Vista machine? I have connected easily to a XP machine, but can't seem to connect to Vista.
    Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Palm VNC works fine for the Centro. Been using that proram since my 600 and no issues at all.

Where do you get the PRC files for MicroVNC ?? I wanted to give it a spin to see how it comapres and the web site is in japanese. (The manual is in english) I cant figure out where palm PRC file is and where the file is I need to isntall the server on my PC ( Or can I ue the same VNC server that PALM VNC is using (WinVnc) ?)
    RJuhl
  5.    #5  
    "By: VaccPalm at Today 10:02 AM

Where do you get the PRC files for MicroVNC ?? I wanted to give it a spin to see how it comapres and the web site is in japanese. (The manual is in english) I cant figure out where palm PRC file is and where the file is I need to isntall the server on my PC ( Or can I ue the same VNC server that PALM VNC is using (WinVnc) ?)"

Can you tell me how you managed to get palmVNC to work? I would be grateful. It has never worked for my centro.

also, thanks everyone, but yes, I have ALL the software installed. I need some kind of step by step in order to see what I am doing wrong.
    I am using it on WIndows XP. Im not sure to exactly how VNC programs work. I isntalled the PRC file on my Centro. Set up the IP Address . Installed the Server on my Windows PC . Set the password up and it works. Maybe the server doesnt work with Vista. That is posible. Try emailing the Developer . HE helped me once back in the day in reference to an issue I was having.

And again where are the english files for Micro VNC ?? have a link?
  7.    #7  
    VaccPalm,

Email me at blade_begins@yahoo.com and I will email it back to you, I have it as an attachment as others are wanting it as well.

regarding the files, where can I get Palm VNC that works? My understanding it works. What version do you have? 2.0? that is th eone I have and I think is the latest. I may be mistaken as I am no used to the centro and palm stuff
    The PRC version is 2.0.6 Build 225

Got it here. http://palmvnc2.free.fr/download.php

The Server I have is Version 3.3.R7

Now I think i remmeber someone saying it does not work with Vista but I dont have vista and dont know.

Also all firewalls prevent the usage of VNC Servers so disconnect all firewalls to see if thats the issue then if it is try to configure the firewal to accept the incoming and outgoing data to and from the server. Norton was really hard but I switched to Zone ALarm and I was able to do it.
    Thanks, I have disabled the firewalls (temporarily only), but it still wouldn't connect to Vista. Works great with XP tho.

Will check with the developer and see what their plans are.
    RJuhl
  10.    #10  
    Hi, could someone please let me know how to setup the palmVNC? I have it installed and I am having the same issue with as with mVNC.

What on earth am I doing wrong? This is what I have. I have WinVNC on my PC. I have PalmVNC on my Palm Centro. How do I get them to connect??!?!

Now for the server name or IP I have my IP, NOT the 192.168.0.1, that is my router. Yet, every time I try to connect, I get this error: ERROR: (0x7301). then in a text I get ERROR: Cannot connect to xx.xxx.xx.x:5900. What the heck? Remember, I am new to this Palm thing. With Windows Mobile, it is easy to set up. But with this, I am getting very frustrated.

what am I doing wrong. WinVNC server not correct? What? I am frustrated! LOL!!!! Someone with MOUNDS of Knowledge HELP ME!
    I dont have mounds of knowledge but the biggest issue with using VNC with a router. You need to use the Router IP , then you have to Port Forward it whithin the router to your PC ip . Example my Router is 198.45.43.56 and my PC is 198.34.45.678 .......I set the Palm program to 198.45.43.56 my router and in the rouuter I port fowared the port (Port 80 ? or whatever port it is) to forward it to IP 198.34.45.678. make sure both the server and the palm VNC have the same password. THEN you have to set the Firewall to allow the port to recieve this transmission. Not simple and I am not a technical person per say but thats the gist of it.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I dont have mounds of knowledge but the biggest issue with using VNC with a router. You need to use the Router IP , then you have to Port Forward it whithin the router to your PC ip . Example my Router is 198.45.43.56 and my PC is 198.34.45.678 .......I set the Palm program to 198.45.43.56 my router and in the rouuter I port fowared the port (Port 80 ? or whatever port it is) to forward it to IP 198.34.45.678. make sure both the server and the palm VNC have the same password. THEN you have to set the Firewall to allow the port to recieve this transmission. Not simple and I am not a technical person per say but thats the gist of it.

Never mind, I got it working! FINALLY! it took me 4 hours of manipulation but it works. Both apps work the mVNC and the Palm VNC....and to be honest. I think the Palvnc is a bit better. What makes me mad is it is FREE! LOL. thanks to everyone who tried to help. I finally got it. I am going to put up a tutorial on here soon for others to get an idea of how to use it. UltraVNC is by far the best and I will never try winvnc and Tightvnc again. I should have just kept the VNC I know and love.

VaccPalm,

do you want the mVNC app? I can email it to you if you wish. Let me know. It has more features than the palmVNC....but it takes getting used to.

I am soooooo happy I got my connection to my comp!! WOO HOO!!!
    Nah but I appreciate it, If you say palmbvc is better then I will stick with that. Glad you got it working. So you use Ultra VNC instead of the winvnc?? whats the difference.I use the winvnc server on my pc. is there a performance difference??
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Guys,

It seems then after reading the posts that the consensus is prefering PalmVNC. I have been using it since I first heard of it and I wrote an old guide to PalmVNC that you can find here:

Short guide to PalmVNC

Guide to set up PalmVNC

In the guides I tried to cover everything from setting up port range forwarding to how to set up the Host VNC server.

On XP it works like a charm. I have been running this since I got my 700p (chubby version of the Centro if you like) and there's very little to no change between it and the Centro actually.

Keep in mind PalmVNC may not operate correctly (or at all) in windows Vista. This is due to the way Vista handles security. This software RDM+ Remote Desktop for Palm OS claims to work in Vista, with a 30 day trial that I have yet to try.
    Last edited by waldo15; 04/21/2008 at 05:31 PM.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...