1.    #1  
    I'm really not sure what is going on with my Treo 650. Having it reminds me of being married, a love / hate situation. I love all the things it is capable of doing, contacts, phone, navagator, keyboard, mp3 player, text, search feature, etc. Then I have the anoying things I have to put up with, phone resets after I hang up on a call, press a key and wait 30 seconds for something to happen, only have 5 mb of free space out of 20 mb, locks up when I don't answer a call (will ring for hours until I reset it or battery dies).

I guess I need to get to the point. I sell real estate and have my lock box key on my phone. I also have TomTom Nav 6, P-Tunes, and very few other apts. Lately my phone has been getting slower and slower. The past couple of days it has reset itself a few times with no aparent reason. I recently installed Memory Info Flash tool to help with my Navigator. Sometimes when I try to launch my Nav it gives me a error message that I don't have enough memory so the memory info flash tool helps about 60% of the time.

The phone is updated to the latest AllTel update. v1.05, and I have been using the phone for about a year. Got it used from eBay from a AllTel rep, I think someone got the phone, did not like it and took it back to the store.

Sorry for the babbling, I really would like to know if there is something I can do to fee up some space and / or make this phone run a little smoother. I tried to do a custom ROM to the previous Treo 650 I had, which rendered it Dead, so I'm a little hesitant on trying that. I'm not very sure what's going on. when I look at my files on my hard drive I see two folders, a PALM and a PALM ONE. The Palm One folder has my user name in it but I don't know if it is the right one because it doesn't seem to have any updated sync info in it.

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.
    You could try to move some applications to SD card, this will relieve the burden on your main memory a bit. Move applications to /Palm/Launcher and you will still be able to launch them using whatever launcher you use.
    Be advised programs requiring usage of some sort of scheduling or alarm feature need to stay in main memory.

Secondly, are there no applications/databases on your device you do not use anymore ? If so, purge.
    Use FileZ and sort on filesize, top down. This will help you.

Thirdly, it might be time to do some 'Spring-time-cleaning'
    In short:
    - hard reset
    - locate backup folder under palm desktop folder tree
    - rename to backup_old
    - sync, select old id. This will bring back PIMs (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Memos) but no settings nor programs
    - reinstall applications one by one AFTER making sure they are compatible with the target device.

This will clean out your preferences in case there are some corrupt settings there. It is also another incentive to get rid of those applications you do not use anymore (or very rarely).
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
  3.    #3  
    I can not remember installing any programs that I do not use. Maybe the Word & Acrobat reader that I uninstalled or moved to a card. Is there a way to tell if there is a db I can remove?
    In FileZ you can also sort on CreatorID.
    That should give you an idea if a db is present without corresponding program.

In case of doubt: ask
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Quote Originally Posted by rspi View Post
    I'm really not sure what is going on with my Treo 650. Having it reminds me of being married, a love / hate situation. I love all the things it is capable of doing, contacts, phone, navagator, keyboard, mp3 player, text, search feature, etc. Then I have the anoying things I have to put up with, phone resets after I hang up on a call, press a key and wait 30 seconds for something to happen, only have 5 mb of free space out of 20 mb, locks up when I don't answer a call (will ring for hours until I reset it or battery dies).

I guess I need to get to the point. I sell real estate and have my lock box key on my phone. I also have TomTom Nav 6, P-Tunes, and very few other apts. Lately my phone has been getting slower and slower. The past couple of days it has reset itself a few times with no aparent reason. I recently installed Memory Info Flash tool to help with my Navigator. Sometimes when I try to launch my Nav it gives me a error message that I don't have enough memory so the memory info flash tool helps about 60% of the time.

The phone is updated to the latest AllTel update. v1.05, and I have been using the phone for about a year. Got it used from eBay from a AllTel rep, I think someone got the phone, did not like it and took it back to the store.

Sorry for the babbling, I really would like to know if there is something I can do to fee up some space and / or make this phone run a little smoother. I tried to do a custom ROM to the previous Treo 650 I had, which rendered it Dead, so I'm a little hesitant on trying that. I'm not very sure what's going on. when I look at my files on my hard drive I see two folders, a PALM and a PALM ONE. The Palm One folder has my user name in it but I don't know if it is the right one because it doesn't seem to have any updated sync info in it.

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.
    Load SafeGuard! The chances are good that SafeGuard will help you identify the problem application!

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by rspi View Post
    I can not remember installing any programs that I do not use. Maybe the Word & Acrobat reader that I uninstalled or moved to a card. Is there a way to tell if there is a db I can remove?
    Here is what I did with Filez (as suggested above):

1. Open Filez & click on View and Edit Files
    2. Expand Internal
    3. Click on Options >> Send Tree To Memo (Note: This will create several memos titled, FileZ file listing, FileZ file listing 2, etc)
    4. Transfer these memos to your PC (I have IR on my laptop and did it that way); the end result will be simple text files.
    5. Copy the contents of your text files into Excel or some other spreadsheet software.
    6. You'll have four pieces of information here: Name, Size, Type (application or database) & Creator (four character string).
    7. At this point you can determine what apps you have and associate them with relevant files. Additionally, you can determine if you have files left over from previous apps or just big files that need reduced or deleted (text msgs, etc).
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM