Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1.    #1  
    Centro GSM unlocked.

    Previously on the 650 GSM unlocked I could send a sms of 160 characters x 3 = 480 characters.

    Same SIM in the Centro, limited to 160 characters.

    Anybody else find this?
  2. #2  
    Same limit on my Sprint Centro.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  3. #3  
    i believe someone on here said that the limit is 160 but the 650 used to aloow you to type 480 and it would send out the message as 3 160 text messages. The 700, 750 and Centros that is not an option, each message is 160 characters ( like the 650) but its only one text at a time. Again I dont know this for fact but someone on here stated that not too long ago. 160 is the carrier limit for Text.
  4. #4  
    I don't have this problem. I've gone over 160 lots of times (though never went more than 320 characters), it will just say something like "161 characters (2 messages)" on the header. Like my Treo 650 did.
  5. #5  
    On your Centro ?? WHat carrier ?? I have Sprint and just tried it and it stopped at 160. no option to keep typing . I had called sprint when I first got the Centro to ask and they told me the Centro limit is 160 . Would love to know how you got that option of having it send it in 2 texts. I checked preferences and nothing.


    Quote Originally Posted by molala View Post
    I don't have this problem. I've gone over 160 lots of times (though never went more than 320 characters), it will just say something like "161 characters (2 messages)" on the header. Like my Treo 650 did.
  6. #6  
    It is set by the carrier.
    T-Mobile can go over 240 characters on 650, 680 and Centro.
  7. Bumble's Avatar
    Posts
    144 Posts
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    On your Centro ?? WHat carrier ?? I have Sprint and just tried it and it stopped at 160. no option to keep typing . I had called sprint when I first got the Centro to ask and they told me the Centro limit is 160 . Would love to know how you got that option of having it send it in 2 texts. I checked preferences and nothing.
    CMDA Treos have never had that ability, GSM only.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    CMDA Treos have never had that ability, GSM only.

    Ahhh Figured it was a carrier issue. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
  9. #9  
    good to know that is carrier controled - i always thought it was PALM.

    How about the number of people you can send it to. All of my treo's (600, 650, 700P, and Centro) always had a limit of 10 phones numbers. Some thing that really annoyes me. Is that a carrier thing? Does anyhere have a GMS treo and send a SMS to more then 10 reciepiants at a time??

    (PS to get around it I set up templates. kinda sucks cause I have lots of templates, but it's better then just complianing about it.)
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  10.    #10  
    Just had word from Palm - they seem to think a buggy add on issue. Want me to do a hard reset and try again (This is unlocked GSM). When I have a few hours to spare, I will give it a go.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    CMDA Treos have never had that ability, GSM only.
    Not true. This has been discussed time and time again. It has nothing to do with carrier technology, CDMA or GSM.

    SMS is 160 characters. Some firmwares allow for the phone to automatically split up your messages as you type past each 160 character limit. All it does is allow you to keep typing what appears to be a single large message, but then breaks it down into multiple 160 character messages when you send it.

    Why some carriers allow that functionality in the firmware or why some don't, I have no idea. My Sprint Treo 650 allowed me to do it, but my Sprint Centro does not.

    There is actually a hacked messaging PRC floating around here somewhere (you'll have to search for it, I don't remember where it is) that restores this ability for the 700P, and it works on the Centro too. (Although there is a bug in it that requires you to type a special character before allowing you to continue past the 160 limit.)
  12. Bumble's Avatar
    Posts
    144 Posts
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    Not true. This has been discussed time and time again. It has nothing to do with carrier technology, CDMA or GSM.

    SMS is 160 characters. Some firmwares allow for the phone to automatically split up your messages as you type past each 160 character limit. All it does is allow you to keep typing what appears to be a single large message, but then breaks it down into multiple 160 character messages when you send it.

    Why some carriers allow that functionality in the firmware or why some don't, I have no idea. My Sprint Treo 650 allowed me to do it, but my Sprint Centro does not.

    There is actually a hacked messaging PRC floating around here somewhere (you'll have to search for it, I don't remember where it is) that restores this ability for the 700P, and it works on the Centro too. (Although there is a bug in it that requires you to type a special character before allowing you to continue past the 160 limit.)
    I apologize for being incorrect, but I clearly remember my GSM Treo 650 being able to split 160+ sms into multiple messages, while my Sprint Treos (650, 700, 755 and now Centro) all stopped at 160 characters and had to send that message and start a new one. I really wish I still had my 650 or 700 laying around to try out again, but I only still have a 755 and the Centro.

    Now off to find that hacked messaging PRC, since that would truly be helpful.
  13. #13  
    I have an unlocked GSM Centro in Australia and am finding (to my total frustration) that it doesn't allow more than 160 characters.

    My Treo 650 allowed me to type as much as I wanted and would then send it as multiple 160char SMS.

    I'm surprised that US carriers are preventing this, as I would imagine the more SMS sent, the more $$$ they make.
  14. #14  
    I know I was able to find the limit to the number of recipients in the registry under 'Local Machine/System/Inbox/Settings' under LimitSMSRecipients. Perhaps there is an entry we can put in here to change the limitation for the sms characters itself?

    Just a thought.

    -Steven
  15. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #15  
    My Sprint Treo 650 stops at 160 characters (My Sprint Centro does as well. Although I never thought it odd, because that's what I've always had to work with). I've never been able to go past that amount in the messaging app.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  16. #16  
    My Verizon 700p used to have no size limit in the application, and would split into 160 character separate messages when sent. I don't think I've tried it since I did the 755 software upgrade, so I'll check on that when I get home. I just tried on my Sprint Centro, and it wouldn't even let me type past the 160 character mark. It did let me do 256 characters in an MMS though.
  17. #17  
    Keeps in mind that if you send a 250 character SMS to 10 addresses, you've just sent 20 SMS and will be charged accordingly. Hope you meant to spend $3 to $5, depending on your per-message charge.
  18. #18  
    Unlimited sms is like $8 on Sprint (or free for SERO) so most likely that wouldn't be an issue.
  19. #19  
    My Sprint branded 700p upgraded to Sprint 755 firmware but on Verizon's network (say all that 10x fast!) does let you go over the 160 char limit, and even says while you type at the top something like "165 chars - 2 msgs"

    I wonder why this is disabled on my Sprint (on Sprint) Centro.
  20. #20  
    I have experienced this before.
    The problem is with the sim card not the phone
    Ask your carrier to get you a new sim card, it should work
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions