Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SIM cards are only for GSM phones, not CDMA.
  2.    #22  
    My GSM SMS lilitation of only 160 characters now solved. Palm Asia Pacific support kindly sent me a new carrier db file, and network db file, and problem fixed. May help others?

I'll have to ask them for it. I've been quite surprised by Palm's Asia-Pacific support. I bought my Centro, in Australia about a month ago from a recognised reseller, however it only appeared on Palm Australia's website a couple of days ago. Moreover, there are no software updates and the US site assumes everyone's on one of the carriers there (i.e. no 'unlocked GSM' option).

Update:I received the files from Palm Support via email and installed them.
    The problem has been resolved and long messages are broken into multiple SMS as is the expected behaviour.

I've attached the two files here, however don't come crying to me if you blow up your phone.

My Carrier DB before upgrade: 588
    After upgrade: 611

Firmware: G.R01.13
    Software: Centro-1.02-ROW
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by lewko; 05/29/2008 at 12:15 AM.
  4.    #24  
    [QUOTE=lewko;1445595]I'll have to ask them for it. I've been quite surprised by Palm's Asia-Pacific support. I bought my Centro, in Australia about a month ago from a recognised reseller, however it only appeared on Palm Australia's website a couple of days ago. Moreover, there are no software updates and the US site assumes everyone's on one of the carriers there (i.e. no 'unlocked GSM' option).

[QUOTE]

When I first contacted them about three months ago, they didn't believe that I had bought it in Oz (by mail order), and wanted serial number, place of purchase, etc.

I don't think the Centro will have update files available, it appears that you can do this by wireless> Menu / My Centro / menu / update/ (turn auto update on if not already, and tick the "Alert me" box). Press "update my Centro," This connects to a server somewhere or other and checks to see if you need updates.

You may also have to first register the Centro from the update page on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Phillips View Post
    it appears that you can do this by wireless> Menu / My Centro / menu / update/ (turn auto update on if not already, and tick the "Alert me" box). Press "update my Centro," This connects to a server somewhere or other and checks to see if you need updates.
    I've run the My Centro updater after one such 'alert' and it only seems to download various trivial games and accessory software. I didn't see it attempting to download critical updates or Palm related stuff. Maybe it does it without asking (which would annoy me considerably) or it's otherwise a waste of bandwidth.
    I tried installing those two files from Lewko on my Sprint (CDMA) centro and it did not put the >160 char functionality in. I downloaded the files to card from blazer, then deleted the copies from the internal memory using Filez, and copied the new ones over. I then tried the messaging app, and attempted to type more than 160 chars, but it stopped at 160. I also did a soft reset and tried typing the message again, but no luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by lewko View Post
    I have an unlocked GSM Centro in Australia and am finding (to my total frustration) that it doesn't allow more than 160 characters.
    lewko - I'm with Vodafone Post Paid using a Telstra Prepaid Centro (now unlocked) and I do not have the 160 character limit.

[Edit] Subsequently, saw your note about the amended files from Palm. Thanks for the post. [/Edit]
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJSunDevil View Post
    I tried installing those two files from Lewko on my Sprint (CDMA) centro and it did not put the >160 char functionality in. I downloaded the files to card from blazer, then deleted the copies from the internal memory using Filez, and copied the new ones over. I then tried the messaging app, and attempted to type more than 160 chars, but it stopped at 160. I also did a soft reset and tried typing the message again, but no luck.
    How did you do it particularly? Have you found anything in the meantime that helps to overcome the 160 character limit?
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Phillips View Post
    My GSM SMS lilitation of only 160 characters now solved. Palm Asia Pacific support kindly sent me a new carrier db file, and network db file, and problem fixed. May help others?

Does it work for CDMA?
    Quote Originally Posted by googs View Post
    Does it work for CDMA?
    I only have a GSM phone, so can't say. However I would be very surprised if it did work, noting that the carrier profiles would refer only to relevant networks. Presumably CDMA networks are of no relevance to a GSM phone and vice versa.

You could always just install it. I mean, what's the worst that can happen, right?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    verizon centro breaks up into multiple "segs" after 160.

mms seems to have no limit (i went to 300 characters to see if it had the 256 limit someone else posted).

if you tell me what file(s) to copy I can post the vz versions for folks to try.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12