Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems the treo is really slow, and has a delay when switching between some functions. Is this across all treos? Is there a way to make it more instant?
    Try Windows Mobile. Then you'll learn the meaning of slow.
  3.    #3  
    can you get windows mobile on our treos?
    Some searching of the forum souls will find the answer to be no. There are a number of reasons that things take so long. The device has to look at launch folder on the card, has to look at the applications to determine what can/cannot be launched, the calender thing if you are speaking of launching that application takes a specific period of time to look at each entry before displaying, what you have running currently has to be closed out, et cetera.
  5.    #5  
    i did a search, and this is what i am experiencing. i guess it is normal

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=slow
    my palm started acting real slow and restarting when I tried to use express mail for my email. so i deleted it completely and go back to using the "email" button which I guess is versa mail? Its now back to its normal speed. The express mail was pretty but way slow.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    There is software that speeds up your phone, "PXA Clocker 5.1", over-clocks phone. USE CAUTION ON MAX SPEED! I recommend no faster than 468.

http://vistabug.com/pxa/

Also, if you mean running files from SD card, you can change the format of the cards, that can speed it up.
    When I tried PXA there was only 1 application I routinely use that really showed an increase in speed. Not enough of a performance gain for me.
    Ben
    PXA Clocker is not compatable with modern Palm's, try LightSpeed.

http://www.clievideo.com/
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I've owned a 650 before and subsequently switched to a 680..

680 was a huge disappointment.. the speed made me feel like i was using WM.. theres a lag on everything i do, esp if i activated versamail.

went back to 650 after 1 month on the 680, and tmrw i'm getting my Centro! and the centro felt great on my many hands-on with it, no lags at all and so much smaller!

I'd suggest u guys switch also, the 680 is really a disappointment.
  11.    #11  
    i don't use any data applications, just regular apps, and i find it has delays.
    For me, VersaMail gets horribly slow, particuarly when deleting messages (i.e., Spam). After about 100 messages are in the trash, it's painfully sluggish. 200 and it's awful.

Frequently emptying the trash helps.

I still miss the Treo 600's memory -- using RAM instead of flash isn't as stable, but it was a heck of a lot faster...
    Quote Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
    It seems the treo is really slow, and has a delay when switching between some functions. Is this across all treos? Is there a way to make it more instant?
    Under preferences -> date & time-> change the automatically set to Nothing and manually set the location, date and time. This will dramatically speed up the performance of your 680.
  14.    #14  
    thanks for the info!
    Back a couple of years ago, when I was last using Treos, VersaMail was largely considered a steaming pile of dung. Well, I'm back and looking for answers! What's the conventional wisdom on it now? We're currently at a far more advanced ROM than I was previously using and perhaps things have changed with regard to VersaMail. Once upon a time I tried both Chattermail and Snappermail, and found I preferred Chattermail. Now it's owned by Palm and I'd like to avoid buying it again if possible.
    It appears that the Treo 680 is a step backwards. I have had a 600 which I dropped and upgraded to a 650. That started crashing and wouldn't hold a charge. Replaced the battery and still the same - that was a waste. Then 2 weeks ago upgraded to a 680.
    What a disappointment. Slow slow slow. The main disappointment is that it is too slow to run Navigator 6 on it. That means I have upgraded for nothing and could have just replaced my 650 for far less and not suffered all the problems I am now getting. Before someone points me to the fix for TTN6 it doesn't work. Well that is wrong it does for 20 minutes. Then a hard reset is needed.
    The problem is that ACCESS have released the 680 with LINUX and a Palm Emulator. All emulators take up more resources and rely on the interface to have the OS deliver the goods. A major mistake ACCESS You have lost a loyal Palm Customer and will be offering this one on e-bay and looking for a 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuttonIT View Post
    It appears that the Treo 680 is a step backwards. I have had a 600 which I dropped and upgraded to a 650. That started crashing and wouldn't hold a charge. Replaced the battery and still the same - that was a waste. Then 2 weeks ago upgraded to a 680.
    What a disappointment. Slow slow slow. The main disappointment is that it is too slow to run Navigator 6 on it. That means I have upgraded for nothing and could have just replaced my 650 for far less and not suffered all the problems I am now getting. Before someone points me to the fix for TTN6 it doesn't work. Well that is wrong it does for 20 minutes. Then a hard reset is needed.
    The problem is that ACCESS have released the 680 with LINUX and a Palm Emulator. All emulators take up more resources and rely on the interface to have the OS deliver the goods. A major mistake ACCESS You have lost a loyal Palm Customer and will be offering this one on e-bay and looking for a 650.
    I agree that the 680 is much slower than the 650. For me, the extra memory made it worth the upgrade. I use Telenav for GPS which runs fine. Now if they could only figure out a way to let me make phone calls while running GPS that would be a good improvement.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by HuttonIT View Post
    The problem is that ACCESS have released the 680 with LINUX and a Palm Emulator.
    ???

where'd you get that?

and Navigator works flawlessly once you get it installed.

what a weird post
    The 680 most definitely does NOT run Linux. (Note that HuttonIT joined on 5/2/08 and has 1 post)
    Unlike some others here, my 680 was a breath of fresh (& speedy) air when Cingular upgraded my 3rd failing 650. I was actually quiet shocked at how much faster and more stable it was.

Now, after 2 ROM updates to (2.11), I have fallen back into sluggishville. Several things bring it down to a screeching NVFS halt now. Usually when dealing with the phone or updating deleting records etc, I'll get these pathetic 5-15 second lags. I never had those in the beginning. They became noticeable for the 2.11 upgrade. I wish I had never done it now.

I'm trying the date/time thing now. But, maybe it's time for the old hard reset and complete one by one reload?
    Patrick Horne
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast