Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I just sold my Treo 680 because I just couldn't live with its horrendous battery life anymore.

I'm thinking about getting a Centro for my wife and one for myself. How's the battery life for this device?

I need to have: bluetooth on all day (paired with a headset) and DirectPush activated.

Will I get more than 2 days out of this? I love Palm OS - the blackberry 8820 I currently have is decent with great standby but I feel absolutely no attachment to it - so far I always loved my Palm OS devices, except for the Treo 680 which I really tried to like but simply couldn't because of the less than 2-day battery life.

dakis
    Constant push email + constant BT is pretty much going to murder your battery life on a Centro. I really really doubt you will get more than 2 days using the phone like this, considering I get about 3 days on my 755p with the 3200mah battery and sms-based "push" email and no BT, which is way less battery drain.

You can always get the extended battery though.
    It depends on how much you use it. You will be fine if you can plug it in at times during the day. Otherwise you might not make it through the day if you are a heavy user. I plug mine in at night, and during the day I plug it into the sync cable at work when I'm at my desk (the sync cable charges it). If you are in your car, you can use a car charger. I do not mind the battery life, because the battery (and device) is so small. You can buy an extended battery, but it causes a bulge in the back of the device.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    One major factor is signal strength.

If you are doing push email for hours in a low signal area your battery life will be very short.
    My Centro (Black AT&T) is getting better battery life than my 680 did - even compared to using the 680 with a Seidio extended (OEM sized) battery.

I easily get through a whole day with Chatter Email running, several phone calls, and some web surfing...
    Kyo 6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Centro -> (?)
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer View Post
    My Centro (Black AT&T) is getting better battery life than my 680 did - even compared to using the 680 with a Seidio extended (OEM sized) battery.

I easily get through a whole day with Chatter Email running, several phone calls, and some web surfing...
    Thanks for all the replies! I guess I could do without DirectPush permanently enabled - it's just something I've gotten used to with the Blackberry.

How is bluetooth affecting the battery life? My 680 would drain the battery entirely in less than a day by simply turning on the bluetooth and the radio, even if I didn't use the phone at all :-(
    My Centro gets worse battery life than my 650, but it's still worth the trade off for size. I mentioned an application called powerHero in another thread. It will help your battery life. Personally, I never look for multiple days on any phone. When I'm sleeping, the phone is on charge. the one exception might be on a very long day of flying to the far east, but that's not a daily occurrence. I'd second the comments of another writer who suggests charge at your desk and at night. You'll be fine. Also, I always have a car charger cable. It's painless to charge while on a road trip if your battery is getting low. I've applied these battery maintenance principles to all of my phones for years. I just don't want to operate at less than 50% battery because...you just never know when you might get stranded someplace. I'm always amazed at the people who leave home without a charger or USB cable.
    Mark Bergman
    My battery life is really very good (substantially better than my 680) which leads me to wonder if battery life is better with the GSM (AT&T) version than with the CDMA (Sprint) version.

Also, if it means anything, I have the recently released Black AT&T model. Is it possible they've tweaked the hardware in this latest release? Who knows...
    Kyo 6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Centro -> (?)
    I also have the Black AT&T and I was getting crappy battery life without powerHero.
    Mark Bergman
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    You can safely get a day if you are willing to part with the Push email. If you have Power Hero added to the mix it helps tremendously.

I recommend having your main screen set below 40% brightness and if your phone is in a spotty coverage area (without Power Hero) just simply turn it off. if yuo have Power hero it will automatically turn the phone off and retry to connect a fixed number of times within a ceratin period of time (you set those times manually)
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    To conserve battery, also turn off Beam Receive, and Bluetooth, if not needed.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I bought a Centro yesterday (and ordered a white one for my wife). I'm very happy with the form factor and the functionality. It's too early to say anything conclusive about the battery life but it seems to be holding up ok. Will definitely get me through a whole day with Bluetooth and DirectPush enabled. Luckily, we have great reception in Switzerland (I guess it's not that hard to achieve excellent coverage in such a small country so that'll probably be a plus.

Anyway - I love the Centro. It's very stable (unlike my Treo 680 used to be) except for one thing: whenever I enter the call log in the phone app, it'll reboot. No idea why. Anyone else seeing this?

dakis
    While true on the Centro, it is true on all devices of this type.

I also use Power Hero to set the basic screen/phone values for the device and feed it in the car. Also due to heavy usage of my 700P and now the Centro with the extended battery, I still do not end a full day with a battery higher than 30%, so I feed it when the opportunity comes along. The extended battery has been a big help for me.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    One major factor is signal strength.

If you are doing push email for hours in a low signal area your battery life will be very short.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dakis View Post
    Anyway - I love the Centro. It's very stable (unlike my Treo 680 used to be) except for one thing: whenever I enter the call log in the phone app, it'll reboot. No idea why. Anyone else seeing this?
    I deleted the call db as suggested in another thread - that seemed to help. Hope this doesn't happen again. I just find it somewhat odd that the database was corrupted before I even placed a single call

dakis
    Did you sync it with the computer that synced your old treo? If so, the call db may have come along for the ride.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Did you sync it with the computer that synced your old treo? If so, the call db may have come along for the ride.
    yes, but I created a new profile before I did it - I doubt that was the reaseon.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I've had my Centro for a couple of days now and must say I'm extremely happy with it. Battery life is definitely better than on the Treo 680.

I've had DirectPush and Bluetooth enabled all the time. Yesterday, it still had 70% power when I got home at night. I had placed two 10 minute phone-calls, used Blazer for about half an hour, listened to music for about 30 minutes while reading an ebook in mobipocket, received about 35 e-emails and sent 10 - so all in all moderate usage. But at the rate the battery is going down, I'm sure it'll easily last a whole day even with heavy usage.

I ordered a second OEM battery and a charger for when I'm out of the office for more than a day - but all in all battery life is comparable to the Windows Mobile device I had to use at work a year ago.

dakis
    I live in a rural area with minimal cellualr coverage so I've been waiting to take my current trip to test my AT&T (GSM) Centro battery life. Using Powerhero, BT and IR off and screen down to 21% and keyboard off during the daylight hours and chattermail checking every 20 minutes (and very light inbound mail volume) in areas with excellent coverage my phone is not getting through the day. I'm on vacation so my voice usage has been less than 10 minutes daily (wonder why I even need this phone?!). today is a sunday and I'm not running chatter. After 9 hours of use I'm down to 59%.
    Out of curiosity is anyone else using this phone in Richmond, VA?
    I'm beginning to suspect a defective battery.
    Mark Bergman
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Batt. life in one day is a little less than the 650 I traded the Centro in on. But now I have Sprint TV and Radio so maybe that's why.

Justin
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bergman View Post
    my phone is not getting through the day. I'm on vacation so my voice usage has been less than 10 minutes daily (wonder why I even need this phone?!). today is a sunday and I'm not running chatter. After 9 hours of use I'm down to 59%.
    I'm beginning to suspect a defective battery.
    After two weeks of usage I still consistently have about 70-75% left at the end of the day - with bluetooth and DirectPush enabled. I bought a second battery to be on the safe side on business-trips and that one also drains about 25-30% per day with the same usage. My wife's Centro show's about the same drain.

dakis
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast