1.    #1  
    Does GMD load even if Good is not running? GMD would interfere with my GPS application so I want to know if I can keep it from loading.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  2.    #2  
    (bump)
    I think so...

I know for sure in 4.x, it would (because GMD was a separate app).

In 5.x, it has been integrated, but most reports show that even if you exit out of gmm, some portion of it seems to run. I figure, GMD would have to continue to run, as otherwise one would not be able to guarantee that the end device is working per IT policy.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    ive tried to remove the process from statup with memmaid but its locked some how and no matter what it will load at startup.

if you kill it with memmaid it seems to come right back.

so I think its pretty rock solid not going to be turnedd off. and if security where important to me that would be a key feature
    It's a security app and as such it the user could be easily disabled by the user, what value would it have? In the corporate world, the device must be secure however I also believe as an IT engineer that we need to balance security and functionality otherwise the device becomes very secure....sitting in a drawer.

Sweider - document what the issue is with the GPS i.e. has your admin blocked BT or BT profile or does the device lock too quickly causing you to constantly enter PIN or does the lock crash the communications between the GPS (internal or BT) and your device rendering it useless?

With that info your admin should be able to adjust the GMD policies to make your GPS work and if not, escalate to Good Support. I know this isnt the answer but it will hopefully lead to a solution for you and possibly others your company or other GMM users worldwide.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by eVader View Post
    Swieder - document what the issue is with the GPS i.e. has your admin blocked BT or BT profile or does the device lock too quickly causing you to constantly enter PIN or does the lock crash the communications between the GPS (internal or BT) and your device rendering it useless?

With that info your admin should be able to adjust the GMD policies to make your GPS work and if not, escalate to Good Support. I know this isnt the answer but it will hopefully lead to a solution for you and possibly others your company or other GMM users worldwide.
    When the GPS app, Telenav, is running in the foreground providing turn-by-turn directions, GMD would kick in and lock the phone after 15 minutes of use. This would require me to enter my PIN and restart my GPS application.

Having to pick between GPS and Good, I picked GPS. If there is someway to configure GMD to allow the GPS application to be recognized as running that would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    When the GPS app, Telenav, is running in the foreground providing turn-by-turn directions, GMD would kick in and lock the phone after 15 minutes of use. This would require me to enter my PIN and restart my GPS application.

Having to picked between GPS and Good, I picked GPS. If there is someway to configure GMD to allow the GPS application to be recognized as running that would be great.
    I just picked up a Garmin 20 and found the same basic issue - Good and the GPS software really do not want to be loaded at the same time.

What I found is that if I go to the Good "home" page, click the menu button and select "Exit" Good, I can unload it until a warm reset or manually kicking off one of the Good apps. After that step, the GPS software loads and runs just fine. When I am done with the GPS, I unload it in a similar fashion (via an Exit option in the software), then restart Good.

It is a minor PITA to exit and load, but it does work.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgriffith View Post
    I just picked up a Garmin 20 and found the same basic issue - Good and the GPS software really do not want to be loaded at the same time.

What I found is that if I go to the Good "home" page, click the menu button and select "Exit" Good, I can unload it until a warm reset or manually kicking off one of the Good apps. After that step, the GPS software loads and runs just fine. When I am done with the GPS, I unload it in a similar fashion (via an Exit option in the software), then restart Good.

It is a minor PITA to exit and load, but it does work.
    I can get Good and GPS to run at the same time using a Custom ROM. I can not keep GMD from loading which interferes with the GPS application. If there was some way to keep GMD from loading that I could use Telenav.
    Last edited by swieder; 06/19/2008 at 09:13 AM.
  9. WDW
    If you haven't been a Good customer for 3 years like me and my company, then you may not know the sorry history of Goodlink/GMM. GMM continues to be a great application for those who administer mobile devices. Unfortunately it also contnues to be the most bug-laden and user unfriendly piece of client garbage that has been created for Windows mobile. It is unfathomable to me that after years of releases GMM continues to take over devices and conflict with scores of other 3rd party software. And isn't the whole purpose of GMM for the end user? If it becomes such a PITA for the end user and therefore does not get used, then who cares how good the administration features are? It is unbelieveable how short-sighted the Good developers are and how long it takes them to fix their mistakes. And to add insult to injury here we are three years later with the same bare bones feature-set in the GMM contacts, calendar and mail apps. GMM makes my device a burden to use instead of a helpful tool for my business. I am eagerly counting the days until Motorola/Good finish their downward spiral to bankruptcy so my company is forced to get rid of this garbage. If you cannot train and then trust your employees to keep their mobile data safe and lock the device after they are finished using it, then maybe you need to rethink your hiring practices.
    Treo 750 - ATT branded
    Version: TREO750-2.25-ATT
    WM6 Prof.
    Though for our environment, its not a big deal...Contact your GMM admin to have him them push the new version.

Apparently they finally addressed this in 5.04

• Allowing Active Applications when device is GMD-locked.
    In earlier versions, GC terminated all applications when the device was locked. In this
    version:
    • If no folders are selected for encryption in the GMC, none of the open applications
    will be killed when the GMM lock triggers to lock the device.
    • If one or more folders are selected for encryption in the GMC, then the GMM client
    will continue running the following applications: Native Windows Music player,
    Symantec AV, Blue Fire firewall, McAfee AV, Instant Messaging, Google Maps,
    Internet Explorer, Opera, MSP Agent, MotoNav. In addition, GC will consult the
    DevicesAppList.ini file on the device to determine other open applications that should
    not be terminated when the device lock is triggered.
    Entries in the DevicesAppList.ini file simply list the .exe names of applications that will not
    be terminated when the device lock comes on at the end of the device-lock timeout. All
    open applicationss not listed in the DevicesAppList.ini file will be terminated on device
    lock.
    The DeviceappList.ini file is created using a standard text editor and pushed to the device
    using standard 3rd party application push mechanisms by the administrator through the
    GMC. An empty template is installed with the product.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthkim View Post
    Though for our environment, its not a big deal...Contact your GMM admin to have him them push the new version.

Apparently they finally addressed this in 5.04

• Allowing Active Applications when device is GMD-locked.
    In earlier versions, GC terminated all applications when the device was locked. In this
    version:
    • If no folders are selected for encryption in the GMC, none of the open applications
    will be killed when the GMM lock triggers to lock the device.
    • If one or more folders are selected for encryption in the GMC, then the GMM client
    will continue running the following applications: Native Windows Music player,
    Symantec AV, Blue Fire firewall, McAfee AV, Instant Messaging, Google Maps,
    Internet Explorer, Opera, MSP Agent, MotoNav. In addition, GC will consult the
    DevicesAppList.ini file on the device to determine other open applications that should
    not be terminated when the device lock is triggered.
    Entries in the DevicesAppList.ini file simply list the .exe names of applications that will not
    be terminated when the device lock comes on at the end of the device-lock timeout. All
    open applicationss not listed in the DevicesAppList.ini file will be terminated on device
    lock.
    The DeviceappList.ini file is created using a standard text editor and pushed to the device
    using standard 3rd party application push mechanisms by the administrator through the
    GMC. An empty template is installed with the product.
    Thanks for the useful information. I am using a Palm OS device with Good. Is there a DevicesAppList.ini file for POS?
    I think there is something similar, but not specifically called x.ini.

I know this can be frustrating.

My staff and i had a good discussion about supporting these types of installs.

For us, we decided that it wasn't worth our time in validating installs where only 1 person was interested in having this work.

The good thing about GMM is that it can support a variety of devices... the downside being that you have different software revs per device per carrier.

Just take a look at RIM. Their solution is much easier to manage, but their BB connect initative has pretty much be stalemated. Shows you how difficult it is to do what GMM is doing.

Regardless, i hope that the 5.04 version works out. We know that 6.0 has been announced and guessing from the last release of 5.0, we can expect 6.0 around fall time.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    can the end user just edit the ini file themselves on wm devices? (preferred by me but i see the security issue there...)

or does gmd lock access so it has to get pushed by the admin?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    If you haven't been a Good customer for 3 years like me and my company, then you may not know the sorry history of Goodlink/GMM. GMM continues to be a great application for those who administer mobile devices. Unfortunately it also contnues to be the most bug-laden and user unfriendly piece of client garbage that has been created for Windows mobile. It is unfathomable to me that after years of releases GMM continues to take over devices and conflict with scores of other 3rd party software. And isn't the whole purpose of GMM for the end user? If it becomes such a PITA for the end user and therefore does not get used, then who cares how good the administration features are? It is unbelieveable how short-sighted the Good developers are and how long it takes them to fix their mistakes. And to add insult to injury here we are three years later with the same bare bones feature-set in the GMM contacts, calendar and mail apps. GMM makes my device a burden to use instead of a helpful tool for my business. I am eagerly counting the days until Motorola/Good finish their downward spiral to bankruptcy so my company is forced to get rid of this garbage. If you cannot train and then trust your employees to keep their mobile data safe and lock the device after they are finished using it, then maybe you need to rethink your hiring practices.

curious- do you use wm or palm os devices?

I used the palm version for some time and recently moved to a wm device.

while the Wm version i like better (looks better with more options and features)- the palm os was is a bunch more solid (probably exactly because it is more spartan...)
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    can the end user just edit the ini file themselves on wm devices? (preferred by me but i see the security issue there...)

or does gmd lock access so it has to get pushed by the admin?
    I would have to believe that it has some measures in place to prevent end users from editing that file (though i am sure there is some way of circumventing this)

I know with the standalone GMD, there was a timed check to make sure that the app was running and was running with the proper settings. I am not sure what happened with that in 5.0, but i have to believe that integration has gotten more tighter.
  16. WDW
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    curious- do you use wm or palm os devices?

I used the palm version for some time and recently moved to a wm device.

while the Wm version i like better (looks better with more options and features)- the palm os was is a bunch more solid (probably exactly because it is more spartan...)
    We use all flavors of Palm and WM on ATT. We just recently switched from 4.9 to 5.x internally even though we are a Good reseller. 5.x introduces a whole new set of ridiculous hoops to jump through. Good had a huge jump on the competition with push email. But the competition is catching up fast. I have every confidence that Good will allow themselves to be surpassed by AS Exchange and possibly others in a matter of years.
    Treo 750 - ATT branded
    Version: TREO750-2.25-ATT
    WM6 Prof.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    We use all flavors of Palm and WM on ATT. We just recently switched from 4.9 to 5.x internally even though we are a Good reseller. 5.x introduces a whole new set of ridiculous hoops to jump through. Good had a huge jump on the competition with push email. But the competition is catching up fast. I have every confidence that Good will allow themselves to be surpassed by AS Exchange and possibly others in a matter of years.
    As exchange would be nice- but my major problems with it are 1) no notes- why the hell doesn’t MS synch their notes? 2) MS’s hate for public folders and shared contacts. MS keeps trying to kill off public folders but really gives no other option for shared editable contacts in the real world. So you still need to use public folders for contacts and they wont let you get at public folders with AS. 3) seems to be much better in newer devices/ newer servers but the early exchange active sync setups blew chunks and periodically required us to delete everything in a certain folder and move it back slowly to find the “corrupt” record which choked the piece of crap- that’s actually the original reason that we started using good- it just worked and MS didn’t.

If MS could fix 1 & 2 like they appear to have fixed 3 then good is in a huge mess- they really need to upgrade the rest of their offer like MS’s to keep up- to me all the other contact info that MS syncs and HTML email that you can get in newer versions are very nice to have.

Goodluck- hopefully you can get something usable for you at some point. Things could certainly be better.