1.    #1  
    My Cingular Treo 650 served me well for three years. I made my last ceremonial call on it yesterday.

I switched over to the Sprint Centro, mostly because of the SERO plan, and partly because of the high speed internet. I hope it holds up as well as my 650. It is all scratched up (except the screen), but it still works like a champ.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Congrats. I made the same move and find the Centro far far more powerful and useful.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I see your upgrade as a tremendous step. Just make sure you use the latest upgrades.

Ben
  4.    #4  
    Ben:

I haven't applied many upgrades, except D2G (that I recall) Is there anything specific I need to do?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

My sister-in-law offered me a straight-up trade for hers... but I like my 650. What's so great about the Centro besides it's ridiculously small keyboard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spectacular View Post
    My sister-in-law offered me a straight-up trade for hers... but I like my 650. What's so great about the Centro besides it's ridiculously small keyboard?
    It's smaller and a lot lighter, finally felt that I was carrying a phone and not a brick . I also find more stable, my 650 started resetting itself during every other bluetooth hotsync.
    A little more pocket space would be nice, but I'm not sure if the tiny keyboard is a fair trade.

I haven't tried Bluetooth for anything yet, though I plan to get some stereo headphones as the 2.5 jack decided to crap out on me.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I was 9 days away from upgrading my 650 to a Centro. As only the white version (with grey numberpad) is available in Hong Kong, I ordered a black GSM version from expansys UK on 2 April only to be told yesterday that I would still be awaiting another 9 days for it (provided there wasn't any more supply problems).

During the wait, I reconsidered the pro's and con's of the upgrade and decided that the pro's didn't justify the outlay (HK$2,905) when my 650 is working just fine, especially after a spring clean. Unlike most people, I don't have anything against its size and have learned to live with its shortcomings.

The Cento won't have GPS, WiFi or 3G anyway, all of which would be a good reason to upgrade (although definitely not in the WinMob direction).

The 650 still has a year or two left in it, so hopefully (actually, I'm not that hopeful, given Palm's dire track record) the new Linux / Palm OS device will be out then with these major improvements.
    Wai Leung
    Palm IIIx, Palm IIIc, Handspring Visor, GSPDA G18, T650
    It does not have a ridiculously small keyboard. What it does have is a configuration that people have been clamoring about for a long time. Palm delivers and people complain. Gosh.

Ben
  10.    #10  
    Honestly, the keyboard on the Centro works great for me, but I must say that I like the button layout better on my 650.

Noise. My Centro does not have much in the way of noise, so I once in a while Internet radio it. I have been looking at Bluetooth stereo headsets for the Centro/700P for a while and yesterday while down at Best Buy I asked a clerk about them. She showed me 2 sets, one expensive and one cheap one. I bought the cheap one - could always bring it back. The cheap one is the store brand, Insignia NS-BTHDP. Got it home, plugged it into the charger for 3 minutes, looked at the buttons on the headset, downloaded Audio Gateway, paired it to my Centro, started up pTunes, looked for a radio station and it worked. Sounded good as the one I had looked at a few days before that was double + the cost of $50. Audio Gateway does slow the Treo down, but again, it works. I then did the routine on my wife's Centro and it worked also. She uses her Centro more for entertainment than I do (lung cancer), so she does a lot of reading and though it did slow that process down a bit, she did not find it intolerable. I then tested it to determine how well it answered the phone - did fine, cut the noise off from pTunes, answered the phone, after the conversation was done, pTunes started the noise again.

Ben

A little more pocket space would be nice, but I'm not sure if the tiny keyboard is a fair trade.

I haven't tried Bluetooth for anything yet, though I plan to get some stereo headphones as the 2.5 jack decided to crap out on me.
    Cool. Thanks. I think the colours on the Centro are a bit more vivid as well, after playing with hers a bit. But that could just be less mileage (and a different colour scheme).

I will consider the upgrade when it comes time to renew my contract.
    Cool. Thanks. I think the colours on the Centro are a bit more vivid as well, after playing with hers a bit. But that could just be less mileage (and a different colour scheme).

I will consider the upgrade when it comes time to renew my contract.

Could also be the effect of the tighter pixel spacing on the slightly smaller screen.
    ...so I did switch. Partly because I somehow smashed the LCD on my 650 and the Centro cost the same as replacing that (with a contract renewal of course). I like my Centro more. The keyboard was no problem to get used to at all. The slightly smaller screen is a non-issue. I think it's a good compromise between size and functionality.
    Treo 650 -> Centro 128 MB
    The keyboard was no problem to get used to at all.
    Interesting the hear your opinion after your initial doubts about the keyboard size. Seems to be a common user conclusion.
    When I added a line to my Cingular account, I had an opportunity to get the Centro for $49 at the time. If the Centro had the SD and SIM slot as accessible as the 650, I might have upgraded.

I like the lighter/smaller aspect of the Centro, but that alone was enough of a reason for me to overlook the SD/SIM accessibility. Plus, I may have to junk all my accessories and software - my TomTom maps may not work. Even if they do, they will have to be reactivated. Since I am already on my 3rd Treo, I don't think they give me another set of activation codes (I own both Europe and USA maps). I decided to retained my Treo 650.

I like something better, but just have not seen enough improvements on the new breed (Centro, Treo 8xx, etc) to take the jump...
    Last edited by CL Lo; 02/13/2009 at 11:27 PM.

The Centro, while a good device, does not work well for ALL business applications, per the research I've done. For my purposes, (self-employed business owner), the next best would be the Treo800/800w.

I agree the Centro would not enable GPS as well. I do not mind the smaller keys, but I do mind the more compact screen.

Essentially, upgrading or switching is an individual preference and for myself, based primarily upon business need. As for now, my Treo650 (circa 2006) is working like a well-prepped engine. The only issue I have is that the original battery is no longer holding its charge as it did originally. So now, I've had to order an extended battery and a battery charger.

But as for all those who like the Centro....well, that's absolutely fine! Enjoy it!
    Quote Originally Posted by CL Lo View Post
    When I added a line to my Cingular account, I had an opportunity to get the Centro for $49 at the time. If the Centro had the SD and SIM slot as accessible as the 650, I might have upgraded.

I like the lighter/smaller aspect of the Centro, but that alone was enough of a reason for me to overlook the SD/SIM accessibility. Plus, I may have to junk all my accessories and software - my TomTom maps may not work. Even if they do, they will have to be reactivated. Since I am already on my 3rd Treo, I don't think they give me another set of activation codes (I own both Europe and USA maps). I decided to retained my Treo 650.

I like something better, but just have not seen enough improvements on the new breed (Centro, Treo 8xx, etc) to take the jump...
    What size SD card you have on your 650? 2gb?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Looking forward doing the opposite. My Centro been nothing but trouble and tomorrow I finally will be home again so I can charge up the old 650. Centro been in and out of repairs and been gone for two weeks now. I love the format of the Centro though so if it just would work I would love it.