1.    #1  
    Hello,

Last week, my dad and I both bought identical treo 680s.

We both have been longtime palm users, but these are our first Treos.

Being that they are identical, we are confused by a discrepancy in our memory available. I realize that there will be some variation, depending on how many contacts we have, or what different apps we have loaded, but this is a huge variation.

I have 53 mb of free space, and he has 36 mb free space. And he hasn't done anything with his treo, other than sync the old data. No special apps, etc. We checked things a few days ago and he had 40-something MB's of free space which was less than mine, and we just chaulked it up to him having a couple of pics. Now, without doing anything different with his treo, he is down to 36 mb.

We added up all the memory from all the apps in his info list and came up with 2.6 Mb. So where is the other 33.4mb??? I realize that some of the apps on the list had 0 Kb, and that really could be .9kb, but even if ALL of them were 0.9KB, you'd have to have 30,000 apps loaded on the treo to take up the remaining space.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Is he a Verasmell user? Has he been installing ring-tones? When changing devices like that, I suggest syncing only the PIM files, nothing else. The other files oughtta be installed one at a time using the latest releases.

Ben
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Is he a Verasmell user? Has he been installing ring-tones? When changing devices like that, I suggest syncing only the PIM files, nothing else. The other files oughtta be installed one at a time using the latest releases.

Ben
    Thanks for the reply. No, he hasn't made any changes. No downloading of apps, no ringtones, no versamail, no nothing. The only thing he has done is unlock the phone and install the AT&T update, which I have done on my phone as well. In fact, I'm the one using the versamail, downloading apps and ringtones, etc.

I went through his "info" list and don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Is there anywhere else you can go to see what is loaded on your palm and how much memory it is using? Like I said, there is 30MB that aren't accounted for.
    How big are his calendar and contact databases? It would be worth installing FileZ so you can see what is taking up the room.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    How big are his calendar and contact databases? It would be worth installing FileZ so you can see what is taking up the room.
    No bigger than normal (or bigger than mine).

According to "Info", his calendar is 157k and his contacts are 450k.
    Are you sure the update actually worked?

I had the same problem and it was caused by temp install files still being on my phone.
  7.    #7  
    This actually could be the case. His battery runs down much quicker than mine, but we figured this was due to a bad battery.

However, how do you know if it updated correctly? When you go to Phone Info it says it is version 2.11.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Ok. I have installed FileZ and I see a ton of stuff on here. Much more, obviously, than what is shown on the "info" screen.

The question now is: How do I know what stuff to keep and what stuff to get rid of. I could post the results of the Filez report, if someone is willing to help me sift through it all.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    As it is a big difference in available memory get Filez to sort files by size and just compare the large files with your own device (I with a previous poster and thinking the temp installer files still on device) - if then you have any query ask here and I am sure someone will say Yes or No to deletion being okay.
  10.    #10  
    Since we just bought the phones last week (and therefore don't have a lot of stuff on there yet), would it be best just to do a hard reset?

I am guessing that would get rid of all the extra files and keep the updated version.
    Last edited by whitenack; 04/18/2008 at 09:15 AM.
  11.    #11  
    UPDATE:

Checked out the "Filez" on both machines and it does not look to be one or two big files that are the problem. Our big files were identical for the most part. Like I said, he has a bigger contacts list, but we were down in the 100kb files before I finally stopped.

It must be a ton of little files that are adding up to big memory reductions. For those of you that are really generous, I am attaching a list of all the files in alpha order. If anyone wants to comb through them, feel free.

Otherwise, just a hard reset?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Question from a pretty ignorant user here: could it be that whatever app is reporting the memory size is faulty?