View Poll Results: I fit as one of the following Centro Owners

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Palm product - Knew nothing of 700p problems but it doesn't concern me.

10 12.82%
  • First Palm product - Knew nothing of 700p problems but wish I had known this before buying.

6 7.69%
  • Knew of PALM's product and support failures but am confident that this one will be different.

39 50.00%
  • Knew of PALM's product and support failures but figure there is little to lose for such cheap price.

18 23.08%
  • PALM's product and support disasters are preventing me from buying this thing.

5 6.41%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I just think any 700p related stuff should be in the 700p thread and not in the Centro section of the forum. The 2 phones ARE different (just like 2 different machines running the same version of Windows are different and what happens with one has nothing to do with another).
    All of the Treos share a common heritage and what affects one often times affects another one. The phones are not that different.

Ben
  3.    #83  
    The phones are not that different. They have the same basic OS and applications. But the thread is more about the issue of what support will be given.

Just to clarify, there are many things about my 700p that I do like. Overall, it is very useful and helps me get a lot of things done. I would never say otherwise. There have been hardware reliability issues with most of the Treos. I am now on my third and have to return it next week for another due to another dead speaker even though I had another replaced a few weeks ago for the same reason. Even though it is frustrating, I am generally forgiving in that respect. What I grade my support satisfaction on is effort. I understand that things break but as long as Sprint makes the effort to fix or replace the phone I am satisfied. What would **** me off would be if they just ignored me and didn't make a legitimate effort to fix the problem. That is what Palm's support did with the 700p. If you want to grade the Centro's out of box hardware an A in quality vs a C or D for the 700p, I am not going to argue. All I am forewarning is that the effort Palm puts into providing support rates an F. Effort doesn't have anything to do with a specific hardware platform.

The most aggravating thing to me is that the 755p is the same phone as the 700 minus an antenna plus a micro SD slot. They just released a firmware upgrade for it a month or two ago and could release it for the 700p as well. But they just flat out told us that they weren't going to do it. They flipped us off. That really hurts me as a longtime Palm customer.

I can imagine Palm releasing an update for a more recently released Centro model while shunning the first released ones. If your Centro is the pink or black one that was released last month, you get the upgrade. If it is one of the very first Centro's released a year ago in red or blue, you don't. Just be forewarned. That is my message.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 05/03/2008 at 12:53 PM.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  4.    #84  
    As I mentioned before, I was in need of taking my 700p back to Sprint because the speaker had broken for the second time in one month. I finally got around to it today.

Sprint no longer has, nor can order, 700p replacements. They offered to order me a new 700wx instead. Even though I have been thinking about going Windows Mobile, I didn't want to take the time to re-purchase all my apps at this time. So I asked about giving me a 755p. The rep told me they had none and couldn't even order one right now because there is some sort of supply issue. She showed me her 755p and mentioned that she has been waiting for quite awhile too because hers kept shutting down from time to time. It could be weeks or months, she could not say. I believe I read something about this in Treocentral in which Sprint denied it was EOL'd due to this same supply problem. I really didn't want to go smaller screen/keyboard on a Centro but eventually agreed after she said I had 30 days to try it. Any time within that period I can bring it back and try to order something else. Maybe the 755p will be available by then.

The subject of this thread was Palm's support and the Centro can't change their grade being an F. Nevertheless, I will add my review of how the Centro works based on its own merit for what I think most would consider an impartial view vs the 700p. I haven't loaded back any of my apps yet on this thing but here are some first impressions:

Positive:
    - Wow - this thing is a lot lighter and smaller. It feels like a phone! I really like that.

Negative:
    - These alpha numeric keys are awfully tight. Brings back memories of Treo 600 cramp. The dedicated keys (i.e. home, phone, etc) feel cheap and have less tactile response than the 700p. I type an awful lot on my Treo so these are concerns.

Annoying that my two 4 GB cards are now useless but that is not the Centro's fault. Hopefully the Hotsync software will work on my Vista laptop. Was never able to get it to work with the 700p on Vista regardless of what version I loaded. Stay tuned....

BTW, it is a black colored Centro.
    I've got a long Palm heritage (even back to Handspring's Visors). While not perfect (I'd love to have had them move the audio jack and improve the quality of said jack, since Seidio hasn't put out an Athena audio adapter for the Centro... yet), I'm still happy with my decision to move from the 650 to the Centro.

As for service... Well, I'm lucky enough to have a local Sprint repair facility. The ladies who run the Albuquerque office are great at fixing any problems, if they do come up.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Bob-C,

Thanks for all your help and efforts....I realize that if it wasn't for people like you and others, none of the 700p would have even had the firmware update from Palm. In fact, maybe some of your efforts led to Palm's management restructuring and actually, if you think about it, the Centro is possibly the "fruit of your labor" and finally, you are able to enjoy it.

Keep us updated on the Centro....as I am still using my Verizon 700p and couldn't justify picking up a 755p since I already have the "short antenna" and now that Verizon is going to release the Centro soon, I am patiently waiting to purchase one (hopefully, there will be no glaring bugs).

Anyhow, keep us updated on your new Centro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    As I mentioned before, I was in need of taking my 700p back to Sprint because the speaker had broken for the second time in one month. I finally got around to it today.

Sprint no longer has, nor can order, 700p replacements. They offered to order me a new 700wx instead. Even though I have been thinking about going Windows Mobile, I didn't want to take the time to re-purchase all my apps at this time. So I asked about giving me a 755p. The rep told me they had none and couldn't even order one right now because there is some sort of supply issue. She showed me her 755p and mentioned that she has been waiting for quite awhile too because hers kept shutting down from time to time. It could be weeks or months, she could not say. I believe I read something about this in Treocentral in which Sprint denied it was EOL'd due to this same supply problem. I really didn't want to go smaller screen/keyboard on a Centro but eventually agreed after she said I had 30 days to try it. Any time within that period I can bring it back and try to order something else. Maybe the 755p will be available by then.

The subject of this thread was Palm's support and the Centro can't change their grade being an F. Nevertheless, I will add my review of how the Centro works based on its own merit for what I think most would consider an impartial view vs the 700p. I haven't loaded back any of my apps yet on this thing but here are some first impressions:

Positive:
    - Wow - this thing is a lot lighter and smaller. It feels like a phone! I really like that.

Negative:
    - These alpha numeric keys are awfully tight. Brings back memories of Treo 600 cramp. The dedicated keys (i.e. home, phone, etc) feel cheap and have less tactile response than the 700p. I type an awful lot on my Treo so these are concerns.

Annoying that my two 4 GB cards are now useless but that is not the Centro's fault. Hopefully the Hotsync software will work on my Vista laptop. Was never able to get it to work with the 700p on Vista regardless of what version I loaded. Stay tuned....

BTW, it is a black colored Centro.
    Had 5 700p's and finally got a new centro by adding a new line and deleting it after 30 days (F*** Sprint) But no problems what-so-ever especially after the 700p.
  8.    #88  
    I am having a similarly good experience with the Centro for the most part. Am going to be writing at story for Treocentral comparing and contrasting the 700p issues with the Centro. I plan to work on it over the holiday weekend so stay tuned.
    I think the polled questions were definitrly skewed towards a negative image. But I did vote. Ihad horrible problems with Treo 650s and 680s but I swear they were mostlt carrier related. Ilve had two other Palm devices a T2 and a T3. Igave the T2 away as a gift when I got my T3 four years ago. I use the T3 every day. PALM offers an excellent device that every other smartphone and PDA mfr has tried to emulate. yeah big deal the iPhone is new and different. But there are far more devices being made with actual keyboards than with virtual boards. Palm devices are user friendly and highly customisable. Screen resolution is unsurpassed as well as Palms durability. I LIKE PALM and will continue to buy their devices as I need them s IF I need another one!

Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    What an *** the OP is. Sorry, I haven't read the thread at all, and I won't be back to watch the OP attack me, but you are an *** for that poll. I don't know what happened, and I don't care. But I know this: acting like a petulant child will get you nowhere in life. Grow up, and quit believing that overtly hostile & juvenile methods will do anything for you other than get you mocked.
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerome View Post
    What an *** the OP is. Sorry, I haven't read the thread at all, and I won't be back to watch the OP attack me, but you are an *** for that poll. I don't know what happened, and I don't care. But I know this: acting like a petulant child will get you nowhere in life. Grow up, and quit believing that overtly hostile & juvenile methods will do anything for you other than get you mocked.
    Wow. Real nice to brag about not reading any of the thread before rushing to curse me out as being a petulant child. It only verifies what I think a decade of Red Bull energy drinks and Reality TV has done to the evolution of the human race.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 06/09/2008 at 05:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Hello everyone,

Been visiting treocentral for a while now (I like the articles and reviews) but this is my first post. Hopefully, it won't be the last...

After owning a T3, T5, Treo 680 and now a Centro, I can say I've dealt with my share of issues - all of which are easily rectified.

I experienced a LOT of issues with my T3 basically because I went nuts with 3rd party apps. After 10 years or so of using Palm products, I think I have it pretty much dialed.

There are still issues, though. Like my Centro seems to crash sometimes when I get a call and I answer. Still checking for the cause of this but I'm sure that I'll find a solution soon enough.

Every handheld from every manufacturer has its issues. So, you always have to weigh the pro's and con's. Overall, these minor glitches won't deter me from buying another Palm product.

regards,

lorsban
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345