View Poll Results: I fit as one of the following Centro Owners

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Palm product - Knew nothing of 700p problems but it doesn't concern me.

10 12.82%
  • First Palm product - Knew nothing of 700p problems but wish I had known this before buying.

6 7.69%
  • Knew of PALM's product and support failures but am confident that this one will be different.

39 50.00%
  • Knew of PALM's product and support failures but figure there is little to lose for such cheap price.

18 23.08%
  • PALM's product and support disasters are preventing me from buying this thing.

5 6.41%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Well Bob

I don't have enough conviction to waste my time with you.
    There you go again. Stating, "I don't have enough conviction.", literally means, "I don't believe enough in anything I say to be true." So your statement is literally:

"I don't believe enough in anything I say to be true to waste my time with you."

Which is what I already said about you. It is exactly why you could not answer those questions. You cannot reconcile anything you state with facts. You are a complete fraud. Even the wasting your time part isn't true. You have time for me. Apparently you have plenty of time with all the shots you taken with me and literally anyone else who disagrees with you.

You are not just a Palm Kool-Aide drinker. You are on your own brand of Kool-Aid.

Have a Taste of TreoTraveler's Latest Wine Flavoured Kool-Aid

http://www.speedmediablog.com/wp-con...ol-aid-guy.jpg
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    To Duanedude 1
    Go for the 755 if you like the bigger form. Try for 30 days, return if its not you. Don't worry about what everyone says. That's why there are so many opinions here, everyone has one and shares.

FYI - I started on Visor, other phones, 700P had problems, switched to 755p, and now Centro.

Loved the 755p and love my pink Centro. Now you can guess why I changed. I had NO problems with the 755P, loved the feel and sturdiness of it. However, I carry in my pocket a lot, so smaller Centro is even better, especially in pink - my favorite color. Smaller screen/keyboard fits my use better.

That is what you need to consider, if you want slightly larger operation, the 755 is right for you. Its just nice to have choices - size, color, keyboard, no antenna.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The problem is the Centro has no obvious or glaring problems like the 700p did.

i.e. those problems you had should have been enough to return the device if it bothered you so much but many of you held out assuming Palm would release a fix (many at MTN of course thought you were nuts in the first place).

No one here has a buggy device that they are waiting with baited breath for Palm to fix. Major difference. We don't even a "bug collection" thread.

Don't twist my words.

My point is, if you have such problems with a device that it impinges on your use of it or you are plain unhappy with it, assuming and waiting for a company to "fix it" is dumb since that is not guaranteed. You should have just returned it if it made you that unhappy.

Satisfaction of the Centro, otoh as evidenced by this forum, is very high so this is non-issue.
    Malatesta,

I don't know if you were around the time the 700p got released and followed the "soap opera" closely, but this was a very sad PRPRPR $and$ $customer$ $service$ $story$ $for$ $Palm$, $overall$.

I have to side with Bob-C (yet again) on the very particular issue of hoping Palm to fix the 700p right away. Yes, it is true they did drop the ball the moment the 700p hit the streets, but we know this now 2 years after the fact. But that had not been the Palm everyone knew at the time. The facts were there for all to see: 650 had a big issue with the NVRAM, and in a matter of couple of months there you have it, a fix! Other fixes followed shortly afterwards. The 600 had about 2 major updates that I can remember, and so with both of those previous facts I bought and stuck with my 700p because heck, Palm "was a brand I could trust" and the history was there to support this statement.

We all know now (700p users ofr Centro users or any PalmOS user for that mater) that's not true anymore, but don't equate what we know now with what we knew back then to make us look like "Crazy 700p people, how could they have expected Palm to support them?".

And I take a big issue with people who say "if you don't like your phone, change it!". And you can find many of those posts littered all around these forums (yours included). If I was living in a country were I did not have to be chained to a particular carrier with crazy contracts I'd do it. Moreover, chained to a carrier that had a sub-par selection of smartphones at the time, to a degree where the 700p was the best of the crop (yes, I am a Verizon customer!!). When you spend $300-$400 on a device you expect it to work, and much more so when you are tying yourself to that device for a long period of time.

And just to further make my case (which at the time was similar and shared among many, many users) is that we had legacy PalmOS that we had to re-purchase or completely loose if we switched platforms (WM was brand new at the time, so not many apps were around to play with), and that added quite some extra cash to the entire equation.

Of course times change, and if anything that's the beauty of the Centro (to some extent), a smartphone in the $50-$100 if it doesn't work... you can almost throw it away.

Centro users are happy, and that's good; but be wary of the history of Palm and, moreover, of the fact that the Centro may well be the last PalmOS device ever so that in itself should be a matter of discussion? Perhaps that's for another show or forum entry to discuss.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    When you spend $300-$400 on a device you expect it to work, and much more so when you are tying yourself to that device for a long period of time.
    Not a Palm-specific problem by a LONG shot...
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Not a Palm-specific problem by a LONG shot...
    That is a universal law that any shopper worth his salt should abide by...
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Bob-C and Waldo. Just buy the Centro and move on with your lives. Hell mine was free and it works.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    We speak of the updates to the 650 fixing the problem - no, it did not fix the problem - both of the ones I had were "fixed" with the ROM update and only by the effort I put forth were the devices close to being stable. I was relieved when I went with the 700P.

Ben
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post

Of course times change, and if anything that's the beauty of the Centro (to some extent), a smartphone in the $50-$100 if it doesn't work... you can almost throw it away.

Centro users are happy, and that's good; but be wary of the history of Palm and, moreover, of the fact that the Centro may well be the last PalmOS device ever so that in itself should be a matter of discussion? Perhaps that's for another show or forum entry to discuss.
    I agree. The Centro is the last Palm OS device. Palm doesn't have the resources to support three OS's once Nova is released. So they will discontinue Palm OS support and focus on Nova and Windows Mobile devices. At that point Palm will consider the 755p too old to support. Being that the Centro has the price of most throwaway phones, there will be no expectation by consumers of continued support for that device either. Palm will not have the baggage of supporting any Palm OS legacy devices and can focus all their resources on their long term game plan. That is another good reason why they dumped the Foleo. Can you imagine the resource drain providing support for the five people who were going to buy it would've cost?
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Bob-C and Waldo. Just buy the Centro and move on with your lives. Hell mine was free and it works.
    If it was free, can you give it to me and then get yourself another free one? I am still under contract. I already have an existing line of service. I would not get all those wonderful rebates and instant savings discounts you got. They are dependent on opening a new line of service. So I would pay quite a bit for a new Centro. Don't worry newb. You'll figure it out when your contract ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I agree. The Centro is the last Palm OS device. Palm doesn't have the resources to support three OS's once Nova is released. So they will discontinue Palm OS support and focus on Nova and Windows Mobile devices. At that point Palm will consider the 755p too old to support. Being that the Centro has the price of most throwaway phones, there will be no expectation by consumers of continued support for that device either. Palm will not have the baggage of supporting any Palm OS legacy devices and can focus all their resources on their long term game plan. That is another good reason why they dumped the Foleo. Can you imagine the resource drain providing support for the five people who were going to buy it would've cost?
    I think Palm will continue to support Centro. They may differenient Centro as a low end product and continue to sell it. Nova device will be the high-end product. Frankly speaking, not much support is require if the hardware is stable and Centro is using the aged Palm OS. IMO, I don't foresee any support issues of Centro. For the hardware, I found that the strategy of Palm using in Asia is very good. They don't have their service center. They only have the collection/pickup point operated by third party. When users in Asia having hardware problem, they will ask them to do the hard-reset to see whether the problem resolve. If not, they will give the RMA to users. Users can go to the collection/pickup point to get the refurberish replacement.
    Last edited by GFONG; 04/26/2008 at 12:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    If it was free, can you give it to me and then get yourself another free one? I am still under contract. I already have an existing line of service. I would not get all those wonderful rebates and instant savings discounts you got. They are dependent on opening a new line of service. So I would pay quite a bit for a new Centro. Don't worry newb. You'll figure it out when your contract ends.
    I replaced an unlocked 650. I prefer not having contracts but the money is not an issue for me, if something better comes along I'd dump this contract and pay the $200 fee, BFD. How many hours did you waste making yourself miserable because you wouldn't put down a couple hundred dollars
    You go Newbie, I mean 2 year member with multiple posts
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I replaced an unlocked 650. I prefer not having contracts but the money is not an issue for me, if something better comes along I'd dump this contract and pay the $200 fee, BFD. How many hours did you waste making yourself miserable because you wouldn't put down a couple hundred dollars
    Wow. Can you be any more elitist? Can we visit you at one of your summer homes in the Hamptons or should us miserable people just go buy our own?
    Last edited by Bob-C; 04/29/2008 at 02:54 PM.
    Newbie how? 8 years of using Palm products? And a slew of other unmentionable devices throughout the '90s I'm not a frequent poster and I'm not obsessed, I just use the stuff.

I've used my 650 for almost 2 years, suffered through the problems and am happy with the Centro. You can do the same and get on with your life.
  15.    #75  
    I stand corrected. You are an 8 year Palm veteran as well as a purchasr of a slew of other unmentionable devices throughout the 90's. So you have a history and a situation in which shelling out hundreds of dollars on the latest thing that Palm releases - whoever - is not an issue to you. It is a way of life. That is wonderful for you. But it doesn't give you the right to talk down to the rest of us by insisting they should just shell out money like you do to fix everything.

That attitude is exactly what I am warning potential new Palm customers about. If you have a problem with a PALM product that they are responsible for creating, the answer from them can often be the same that Sivian's is. Just buy our newest product to fix the old one's problem. Then you have to decide whether to trust them or not on the new one.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Bob-C, just let it go. By all accounts, Centro is a good phone. The price to features to quality to size ratio is good. The bundled software leaves little to be desired and the user reviews are positive. And notice, just how passionately people are coming to the defense of Centro. I have mine since last November and I am EXTREMELY happy with it. As far as product support, I expect the Centro in its current incarnation to be EOL'd in a year or so which is totally normal (hopefully a Nova Centro will be out by then). Just because you had a bad draw of the deck with the 700 does not have anything to do with current Palm phones.
    Well Bob, you misunderstand. I was very frustrated with the problems on my 650 and no updates from Palm. Then I found the Centro, and it has almost no issues that need updates from Palm. I can name exactly two issues I want to see fixed with the current software on the Centro: Versamail does not support Yahoo, by Palm's admission, and they claim that an update is forthcoming. The second is Blazer sometimes not displaying large images. These are minor issues.

There is basically no urgent update that we Centro users are waiting on Palm to deliver just so we can use our phones. This makes the concern in the title of this thread moot.

I don't know why Palm doesn't release updates as they should. Maybe they're broke, maybe their managers don't know how to manage multiple devices and software development tracks. Today's devices come and go, and I really don't think the $200 it would cost to terminate your contract and move on are worth the ongoing crusade for a two year old phone.
    And maybe there is a perfect phone out there with a perfect manufacture and a perfect network. Not.

Ben
    I'm on Verizon, with 8 months to go on a contract. So a centro is not an option, at least not yet. I've had 7 700p units. I dropped the first one the week that the Verizon network stoppage from the firmware update began (coincidence, I did not drop on purpose); Verizon sent me 5 replacements. None of them worked (for data-- phone worked). I had them send me a 650 which I used until the firmware was fixed around mid-September 07. The 700p they sent me then worked until the screen died earlier this month; right now I have one that works. I think that overall the 700p is a bug-ridden piece of crap. And please dont blame me for third-party apps; I dont use any that aren't fully vetted (Butler, TCPMP) and I know palm OS (Clie and 600) from way back. Palm support denied to me on the phone (repeatedly) that there was any known firmware problem all last summer, until the press release with the second firmware update. In other words they lied to me.

Verizon were very good to me; after the asurion replacement they fed exed me the next 5 replacements-- no charge-- and they comped me a month (maybe 2) on the unlimited data plan I could not use.

So anyway I'm with Bob. I'm not a Centro user because I can't be, so sorry for the post in the Centro thread. Palm really blew it with the 700p. No way I'm paying full price for a 755p; I've paid about $120 for the two replacements of the $300 phone I bought last year. I'm locked in to Palm due to some software sync sources at my business, so I hope you Centro boosters are right. But I fear you are not.
    I understand the frustation of some posters. I really hope that people can judge the new product by looking at the product instead of relying on the bad experience and perception. For me, I switched from Palm OS to WM OS but I tried every new Palm OS Treo when it introduced.

Besides, I found that current product and fixes are quite stable after the new management took over the product team. Unlike last time, Palm needed to come out a fix to fix the problem created by the last fix....LOL..

P.S. I do believe some of you still like Palm otherwise you won't stay in the Palm message board.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast