View Poll Results: I fit as one of the following Centro Owners

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Palm product - Knew nothing of 700p problems but it doesn't concern me.

    10 12.82%
  • First Palm product - Knew nothing of 700p problems but wish I had known this before buying.

    6 7.69%
  • Knew of PALM's product and support failures but am confident that this one will be different.

    39 50.00%
  • Knew of PALM's product and support failures but figure there is little to lose for such cheap price.

    18 23.08%
  • PALM's product and support disasters are preventing me from buying this thing.

    5 6.41%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 92
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Shall we through a political twist on this: a democrat asking a question to get a specific answer.

    Ben
    I am just thinking that might have been better stated as "Asking a democrat a direct question to get any kind of an answer and not some kind of political 'SPIN'."

    Carl
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
  2. #22  
    Gosh, that does put a political spin on it. Does this mean we are off topic?

    Ben
  3. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #23  
    I think we should take a poll on how much this poll sucks. Kill the thread please!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  4. #24  
    Yeah, I agree, the poll is one sided and useless, as are most of his polls.

    Based on the thread title, it appears Bob-C is trying to kill some sales of Palm devices. But he didn't have a negative following to go along with HIS poll questions.

  5. BaDZeD's Avatar
    Posts
    294 Posts
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    #25  
    I LOVE my Centro. Fast, stable, and problem-free, just like my TX was (and I was going to buy the Foleo). The poll was as one sided as they get.
  6. miller's Avatar
    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    #26  
    I had a 650 for about 4 years. It died, I buried it and now I have a Centro. Had AT&T had other Palm products (besides the 680) that were true upgrades, I'd have gotten one. However, when the Centro came out, couldn't have been happier. I like the size, don't have a problem typing on the keyboard, love the extra memory, don't have a problem with the battery since I have a charger at my house, in my office and in my car, and in general, think it's better than the 650. The only downside is not having 3G, which I didn't have with my 650, but it's still faster than the 650 ever pretended to be.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Thats the great thing about the Centro, it's an affordable Treo.

    The speaker quality really bugs me compared to the 755p, but you get otherwise similar features and newer software for less $$.

    Also the poll does seem pretty worthless...
    I was kinda surprised to see this post. My Centro speaker sounds great. Far better than my Treo 650.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  8. #28  
    I couldn't even answer this poll, since being in the UK, I've only ever had GSM phones and never encountered a 700p.

    I had the Treo 650 for 2 1/2 years, it was great, but I wanted something smaller so I got the Centro two months ago when it was finally released here. Before that I had Palm PDAS - Handspring Visor Deluxe and a Sony Clie SJ20. Anyway, I am happy with the Centro. Calls are clear, the speaker actually is better than the 650, and I find it more stable than the 650.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I was kinda surprised to see this post. My Centro speaker sounds great. Far better than my Treo 650.
    If you use it side by side with a Treo 755p it's very noticeable.
  10. #30  
    Fine, it is a larger device. The bottom line is, the device though called "entry level," provides an excellent level of service that those who use it for work will/have found it to be an excellent device. As I have mumbled before, I use mine with ChatterEmail from 6A or so until 10P 7 days a week, Documents to Go and HanDBase literally for hours at a time during the day, phone calls throughout the day, and so forth. The 755 may be good, so is the Centro.

    Ben
  11. #31  
    Not sure what the speaker quality has to do with the device size and I even said the Centro was a good device.
  12. waldo15's Avatar
    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #32  
    Perhaps Bob-C did not have the best choice of words to make his message go through.

    For all new Centro owners, glad to see you love it! However, when you buy a piece of equipment, I'd bet you want to make the most of it and have high expectations for it. For the Centro one has to ask the following questions:

    - Why is it that the GSM version only has 2.5G (EDGE) when the CDMA version has full EVDO speeds? And both cost the same amount mind you.
    - Why is the Centro interface for GSM more streamlined than the CDMA version?
    - Why is there zero official support for Mac users?

    Don't you feel a little bit upset that the guys across the wireless road (GSM vs. CDMA) is getting a better deal for the exact same device?

    Bob-C has, however, a much valid point. The history is there and there's a tangible trail that leads to Palm "forgetting" about its flagship products very shortly after releasing them, once a new device makes it to the door. Who is to say the Centro love won't dissapear once the often-rumored, somewhat-confirmed 800w makes it to the market in the coming months? Centro users be warned.

    You guys have to keep in mind the very fact that Palm has a history of not supporting their own products in full. Keep that in mind when an important bug appears in the Centro and hope that Palm fixes it right away, or even fixes it at all.

    I'd even ask those who are happy with their Centro (even with the 700p for that matter) and ask them if indeed they feel they use their device to the absolute maximum.

    - Do you browse the web with it?
    - Do you access your Home PC remotely with your Centro?
    - Do you use your phone as a modem for a laptop?
    - Do you play music on it? Do you stream audio from internet radio?
    - Do you play movies in it?
    - Do you access Youtube?
    - Do you read emails and open attachments easily?
    - Do you edit and handle office documents with it?
    - Do you have push-email already set up?
    - Do you use stereo bluetooth headset with it?
    - Does you favorite Bluetooth headset work with the Centro?
    - Do you use GPS navigation with it?
    - Do you use in-car handsfree sets with the Centro?

    I feel (and this is just me) that Centro users are giving the love and not "complaining" because they don't realize what much more they can do with their devices (65% first time users!). Once they start getting the curiosity up, asking "could I do this with my phone" then realizing how limiting Palm OS is then they will start realizing that the Centro is, perhaps, flawed in a sense? Not to even mention asking Palm for support of a certain feature...

    So you guys understand where I am coming from (and where I am heading with this): I am on the 700p titanic and have to admit, I count the days until my contract expires so I can move on to better things and better devices. However my wife has seen the Centro and she's goig to get it... so I am willing to let her make the jump to the Centro just because I want her to start somewhere in the smartphone arena. So you will see me browsing these Centro forums from time to time, just to check if there's anything new under the Centro sun...
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
  13. BaDZeD's Avatar
    Posts
    294 Posts
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    #33  
    "I'd even ask those who are happy with their Centro (even with the 700p for that matter) and ask them if indeed they feel they use their device to the absolute maximum."

    - Do you browse the web with it?-yes
    - Do you access your Home PC remotely with your Centro?-yes
    - Do you use your phone as a modem for a laptop?-yes
    - Do you play music on it? Do you stream audio from internet radio?-yes/yes
    - Do you play movies in it?-yes
    - Do you access Youtube?-yes
    - Do you read emails and open attachments easily?-yes
    - Do you edit and handle office documents with it?-yes
    - Do you have push-email already set up?-yes
    - Do you use stereo bluetooth headset with it?-not yet
    - Does you favorite Bluetooth headset work with the Centro?-dont own one (i use the speakerphone to turn it into an internet radio and headphones to listen to music in the gym)
    - Do you use GPS navigation with it?-yes
    - Do you use in-car handsfree sets with the Centro?"-no


    Your point being? Centro is ALL that.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Do you use your phone as a modem for a laptop?
    - Do you play music on it? Do you stream audio from internet radio?
    - Do you play movies in it?
    - Do you access Youtube?
    - Do you read emails and open attachments easily?
    - Do you edit and handle office documents with it?
    - Do you have push-email already set up?
    - Do you use stereo bluetooth headset with it?
    - Does you favorite Bluetooth headset work with the Centro?
    - Do you use GPS navigation with it?
    - Do you use in-car handsfree sets with the Centro?

    I feel (and this is just me) that Centro users are giving the love and not "complaining" because they don't realize what much more they can do with their devices (65% first time users!)
    I came from the Mogul which has far more features than the 755p or Centro. First time palm user means nothing in regards to what people expect or use feature-wise. It simply doesn't tell you anything at all knowing that this is my first Palm device.

    Drawing assumptions from that is guaranteed to lead you to false results.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    - Do you browse the web with it? Yes
    - Do you access your Home PC remotely with your Centro? No
    - Do you use your phone as a modem for a laptop? Yes
    - Do you play music on it? Do you stream audio from internet radio? Yes
    - Do you play movies in it? No
    - Do you access Youtube? Yes
    - Do you read emails and open attachments easily? Yes
    - Do you edit and handle office documents with it? Yes
    - Do you have push-email already set up? Yes
    - Do you use stereo bluetooth headset with it? Yes
    - Does you favorite Bluetooth headset work with the Centro? Yes
    - Do you use GPS navigation with it? No
    - Do you use in-car handsfree sets with the Centro? No
    "No"s are by choice e.g. don't need it, but I know it could be done if I want.

    "Yes"s are are a go with no issues.

    BT is very good on the Centro and I've paired it successfully without problem with:
    • Moto S805 (stereo), S9 (stereo), H500
    • Plantronics 640
    • BlueAnt Z9
    • Samsung WEP430

    Youtube out of the box (Kinoma Player). Docs2Go 10 included. pTunes Deluxe included. PDANet works great. Versamail with IMAP and Gmail support: done.

    11 friends and co-workers who all have it and love it: check.

    I'm not sure you appreciate just how good the Centro is. Give up the 700p, put down the bitter-juice and take a swim in Centro-land...the water is just fine over here and we're all quite happy.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  16. #36  
    Not to mention TCPMP works amazing with the 755p/Centro for movies. You can watch higher res movies with no slowdown and it's a free player that supports most of the major codecs (other than .wmv).

    Compared to some other devices that have slowdown playing the same videos, it works great.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Perhaps Bob-C did not have the best choice of words to make his message go through.

    For all new Centro owners, glad to see you love it! However, when you buy a piece of equipment, I'd bet you want to make the most of it and have high expectations for it. For the Centro one has to ask the following questions:

    - Why is it that the GSM version only has 2.5G (EDGE) when the CDMA version has full EVDO speeds? And both cost the same amount mind you.
    - Why is the Centro interface for GSM more streamlined than the CDMA version?
    - Why is there zero official support for Mac users?

    Don't you feel a little bit upset that the guys across the wireless road (GSM vs. CDMA) is getting a better deal for the exact same device?

    Bob-C has, however, a much valid point. The history is there and there's a tangible trail that leads to Palm "forgetting" about its flagship products very shortly after releasing them, once a new device makes it to the door. Who is to say the Centro love won't dissapear once the often-rumored, somewhat-confirmed 800w makes it to the market in the coming months? Centro users be warned.

    You guys have to keep in mind the very fact that Palm has a history of not supporting their own products in full. Keep that in mind when an important bug appears in the Centro and hope that Palm fixes it right away, or even fixes it at all.

    I'd even ask those who are happy with their Centro (even with the 700p for that matter) and ask them if indeed they feel they use their device to the absolute maximum.

    - Do you browse the web with it?
    - Do you access your Home PC remotely with your Centro?
    - Do you use your phone as a modem for a laptop?
    - Do you play music on it? Do you stream audio from internet radio?
    - Do you play movies in it?
    - Do you access Youtube?
    - Do you read emails and open attachments easily?
    - Do you edit and handle office documents with it?
    - Do you have push-email already set up?
    - Do you use stereo bluetooth headset with it?
    - Does you favorite Bluetooth headset work with the Centro?
    - Do you use GPS navigation with it?
    - Do you use in-car handsfree sets with the Centro?

    I feel (and this is just me) that Centro users are giving the love and not "complaining" because they don't realize what much more they can do with their devices (65% first time users!). Once they start getting the curiosity up, asking "could I do this with my phone" then realizing how limiting Palm OS is then they will start realizing that the Centro is, perhaps, flawed in a sense? Not to even mention asking Palm for support of a certain feature...

    So you guys understand where I am coming from (and where I am heading with this): I am on the 700p titanic and have to admit, I count the days until my contract expires so I can move on to better things and better devices. However my wife has seen the Centro and she's goig to get it... so I am willing to let her make the jump to the Centro just because I want her to start somewhere in the smartphone arena. So you will see me browsing these Centro forums from time to time, just to check if there's anything new under the Centro sun...
    Get yourself a Sprint Centro and enjoy the high speed internet. It rocks.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  18. waldo15's Avatar
    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #38  
    All of the above valid points. However you seem to be missing the big picture: 65% of the Centro owners are first time Smartphone users. Truth is most of the forum users are not first time users, but nonetheless it would be interesting to note how many newbies know their phone can do stuff other than place phonecalls (example of a true fact: about 2/3rds of Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 users did not know their platform can play regular DVDs).

    Your point being? Centro is ALL that
    .

    It is not that the Centro is not all that... heck, for that matter the 650/680/700p/755p are all that, they all share the same sould and if anything have different skins. But how many first time users are aware of those functions? How many are indeed using them?

    For all of those who came from a previous Palm model, I would not expect any less of you in demanding the most of your device and using all the different features the Centro has to offer.

    Get yourself a Sprint Centro and enjoy the high speed internet. It rocks.
    The 700p I use gives me EVDO speeds, I am definitely into high speed data and that is one of my needs that actually knocks off the Centro as a contender for my bussiness needs (see below)

    I'm not sure you appreciate just how good the Centro is. Give up the 700p, put down the bitter-juice and take a swim in Centro-land...the water is just fine over here and we're all quite happy.
    The day the 700p and/or the Centro give me what I need then I'd drop the "bitter juice".

    • Given my bussiness needs, I need to drop PalmOS flat out. We have switched to a unified Windows platform and Palm OS does not cut it anymore, we need Windows Mobile if we are to connect to the Exchange server and run all of the integrated Exchange services. Unfortunately the company switched platforms mid-contract and so I was left stuck to the Palm platform until my contract has to be renewed.
    • Multitasking is important for me. Heck if it is! I am now tired of switching between my calendar, email, google maps and browser every time I need to query for something (address, phone number, etc.) and every switch means re-opening the app, wait for it to load and re-load the page/entry I was into in the first place.
    • Due to international travel I need a GSM phone. Due to this little fact 802.11 is now a requirement so I can connect to data services even in Taiwan, and also I need 3G/3.5G for when I am at home or on the road. You'd be amazed how big those email attachments get.


    I have to admit in all fairness, kudos to all who are excited about the Centro and are finding it a suitable tools for your daily requirements. Just don't expect too much from the device once the reality kicks in. This is what I told my wife and she seems OK with it, so be it

    BTW Palm has EOL the extended battery for the Centro they were promising not so long ago. But heck, that's why Seidio is always there to save the day (I strongly recommend all of their products actually). The fact that Treocentral is not highlighting this issue once again goes to show that the Kool-aid man is lurking these premises very often.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
  19. #39  
    Waldo, you must realize that you have very specific requirements that are being driven by your (narrow minded) business and they don't apply to 99.999 per cent of us.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    All of the above valid points. However you seem to be missing the big picture: 65% of the Centro owners are first time Smartphone users. Truth is most of the forum users are not first time users, but nonetheless it would be interesting to note how many newbies know their phone can do stuff other than place phonecalls
    Then I'm not sure why asking such questions in the forum is relative? Surely if they are browsing around here they will "learn" this stuff, no? But regardless, Palm has fairly agressive at displaying these capabilities via

    Sure, perhaps all of that could be better but they are not hiding the fact. Seeing as it is selling so well tells you something.
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    BTW Palm has EOL the extended battery for the Centro they were promising not so long ago. But heck, that's why Seidio is always there to save the day (I strongly recommend all of their products actually). The fact that Treocentral is not highlighting this issue once again goes to show that the Kool-aid man is lurking these premises very often.
    That battery was a joke. It was hideous and huge and I bet dollars to doughnuts it just did not sell...

    He's a shock: Palm evidently jammed the largest battery in the Centro that they could as Seidio has failed to make a larger standard battery. Still, I guess TC could have covered the story, but I don't see a hidden agenda as you suggest with the "kool-aid" comment.

    What's TC's motive? Keep people buying a battery that won't be around very long? There is nothing wrong with the battery besides being hideous and probably not selling well. Maybe Dieter can chime in on sales...

    Think of: 65% are new to smartphones. How many regular cell phones users buy huge additional batteries? I dunno but it seems not many.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 04/18/2008 at 04:10 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions