1.    #1  
    I have tried all of these apps and when they flush the cache it deletes my calendardb file. I have scanned the palm with teal scan and I have scanned the calendar file wirh dbscan it is not corrupt. Has anyone had this problem?
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    It is not the applications above causing the problem. As for scanning, I place a bit more faith in DBFixit, an application written by the developer who wrote the Palm calender program. The link is http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/dbfixit.htm - read the info on the site also.

Ben
    I agree with bclinger and for DBFixit. That will fix any corruption you have in your calender DB. What other apps do you have installed on you device and under what circumstances do you lose the calendardb?
  4.    #4  
    I just tried dbfixit it didn't find any problems with the calendardb file either. If it is not corrupt why is it being deleted with the cache? Any of the cache deleting apps such as reset doc, off flush, dbcache, or even blazer will delete the calendardb about 1 in 5 times. The thing is a few weeks ago off flush was working great it didn't delete the calendar file. I haven't added any new apps in months. I don't have a clue why it started doing this.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Ok, now we are getting some place. The Palm OS has a bug in it that causes the loss of information. It happens on all devices, though the 650 and 700P are much worse than the Centro and this does not limit itself to one specific file type - meaning you will not alway loose X file, just a file or series of files. It normally occurs when the cache is flushed - the explanation is a bit on the lengthy side.

A work around that may help - are you using the latest releases? Have you contacted the developer about the problem? Software wise, OnGuard from www.northglide.com provides on-the-fly backup of user specified applications when those applications are exited. I use it due to the same problem, though with a different application (probably).

You can also look at an application by GoTreoSoftware - look at their section here.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Ok, now we are getting some place. The Palm OS has a bug in it that causes the loss of information. It happens on all devices, though the 650 and 700P are much worse than the Centro and this does not limit itself to one specific file type - meaning you will not alway loose X file, just a file or series of files. It normally occurs when the cache is flushed - the explanation is a bit on the lengthy side.

A work around that may help - are you using the latest releases? Have you contacted the developer about the problem? Software wise, OnGuard from www.northglide.com provides on-the-fly backup of user specified applications when those applications are exited. I use it due to the same problem, though with a different application (probably).

You can also look at an application by GoTreoSoftware - look at their section here.

Ben
    Ben,

What bug are you talking about? I've had a 650 for 3.5 yrs now. I can pretty much guarantee I've never lost files/data.
    Both Treo 650s I had were bad about loosing preferences and files. The bug? discussed in bunches of forums and by bunches of people. From CESD, developer of the DatebookX application:

"Well there are known bugs in Palm's handling of large databases with NVFS memory. SnapperMail was going berserk when database sizes approached 8mb, so my guess is yes, you are dangerously close to the limit where Palm's handling of memory is no longer reliable." (a post he made today).

Bunches of people have complained about the problems with the NVFS file system. Bunches of developers have tried work arounds that work most of the time, but not all of the time. A search will produce more about it. The bug is real.

Ben
    I posted a thread about a different problem I am having with my Centro right now but bclinger reminded me of a problem I used to have on my 700p or 755p... Zlauncher used to lose some of my theme settings on occasion... I was never able to pinpoint the cause but it only happened maybe every couple weeks so once I found the fix, it didn't bug me too much.. Anyway, I used to restored my Saved Preferences file and that restored my Zlauncher settings...

The problem I am having now is that my Centro will not keep my setting for my messaging button, at all.. I set it in Prefs and it works for maybe 5 minutes but after that it says the button is unassigned... I can reset it to the app I want and it will work right after that but within 5 minutes it will stop working again. After remembering my old Zlauncher problem I tried restoring the Saved Preferences file and it fixed the button, for a couple minutes... So it seems like this "bug" might be the cause, any suggestions for an app that might help? OnGuard looks like it might save my preferences file on a regular basis but them I'd still have to manually restore it to get my button to work again which isn't really worth the effort because the whole point is to launch the app with one button-push...

Is there any info about what might trigger this bug? I was using my Centro fine for a couple weeks before this started... I didn't add any new apps but my used/free internal memory usage ratio probably changed... I remember my 650 used to get real unstable unless I had a good 10Mb of free internal memory but that seemed to go away with the 700p and 755p (either that or the big increase in available internal memory made it less of an issue). Does the Centro maybe have some kind of unwritten free space requirement?
    Do you have another application that is set to maintain its own button assignments? For instance, I have 3 applications that are capable of maintaining button assignments. When I have 2 of those applications enabled, they fight. When I have 3 of those applications enabled, the device dies.

Ben
    The only app I have installed that also does button mapping is Butler and it doesn't have any options for changing the messaging button...
  11. tsy
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    Ben,

What bug are you talking about? I've had a 650 for 3.5 yrs now. I can pretty much guarantee I've never lost files/data.
    agreed. and i use reset foctor or dbcache tool to flush my cache almost daily... I have not had thid data lost problem both on my 650 and centro
    I thought the same; the bug is still there on the Centro, just not as visible.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Both Treo 650s I had were bad about loosing preferences and files. The bug? discussed in bunches of forums and by bunches of people. From CESD, developer of the DatebookX application:

"Well there are known bugs in Palm's handling of large databases with NVFS memory. SnapperMail was going berserk when database sizes approached 8mb, so my guess is yes, you are dangerously close to the limit where Palm's handling of memory is no longer reliable." (a post he made today).

Bunches of people have complained about the problems with the NVFS file system. Bunches of developers have tried work arounds that work most of the time, but not all of the time. A search will produce more about it. The bug is real.

Ben
    Oh, okay. Am aware of the prefs thing. Saw all the posts about it, but it never happened to me during the 1st couple yrs. When it finally did I simply restored it. So yeah, I guess shouldn't say I've never lost a file (although the system replaced it with a "default" (essentially empty) prefs file. Also agree about it being something along the lines of a NVFS, dbcache, freemem, software conflict issue.

But I've never lost any other file or data. I'd have to say that I've never messed with a file that large (8 mb) on the 650. Though I always keep tabs on files loaded and their size. If I saw one growing to a size like that I'd start worrying, if not just because of its high percentage of overall system memory (and I've never tested or experienced how well Palm can handle a file that large).

Don't know if you could find a more reputable source of info on Palm issues (CESD). He seems to know more about Palm stuff than Palm ever did. Been awhile since I've meandered through the Yahoo DB forums; I'd be very interested knowing his current thinking on the direction and future of Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwflutterby View Post
    ... I remember my 650 used to get real unstable unless I had a good 10Mb of free internal memory but that seemed to go away with the 700p and 755p (either that or the big increase in available internal memory made it less of an issue). Does the Centro maybe have some kind of unwritten free space requirement?
    My 650 runs well all the way down to about 4 to 5 mb free. Never met an operaring system where there wasn't some minimum free requirement. Probably need to discover that reliable minimum amount yourself, though...
    Also usually has something to do with the size of the file you're messing with vs the amount of free space available on the medium it resides on. Even on a non-operating system medium, at times you may need as much free space available as the file itself occupies.
    The minimum amount of free memory is between 3-4mb; however, the problem WILL hit at any time regardless of the amount of free memory. I am using one application that has had a big problem with it - the developers have implemented a couple of ways to deal with the problem, but it still happens on occasion regardless of which Palm OS device with NVFS.

As for CESD - he will not say.

Ben