1.    #1  
    My old PC ran Windows 98 and has my Palm Desktop installed on it and now has no Internet connection. How do I back up my 755P to my new XP Pro PC that does not have Palm Desktop?
    Are you saying that you don't have the installation CD from your 755p? If you do, just install the desktop software, and do a sync making sure the conduit for backup is set for the Device to overwrite the Desktop. It will sync all the info on your Treo onto the desktop and make a new Backup folder. Congrats on getting with XP Pro, you'll like it.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  3.    #3  
    I believe I do have the original installation CD. But, I still thought I was going to have to be concerned with user name and 98 vs XP Pro...?
    Whenever I have upgraded computers, I copy the entire Palm (PalmOne/USRobotics) folder to the new computer, then install the version of Palm Desktop that came with the device and sync. Next I install any updates that are on the computer side (this was more common on the early OS5 devices) and sync again. Finally, I install any third-party applications that have a sync conduit, desktop component or Windows installer, and sync as many times as required based on application count. Have not had a problem with this method for over 10 years.
    no, just use the installation CD and you may have to create a username, use the same one you have now. Then when you do your first hotsync, again be sure that the backup conduit is set to Handheld Overwrites Desktop. You find this in the Palm Desktop software, at the top toolbar, click Hotsync then Custom and when the conduit screen opens up, scroll to the bottom and you will see Backup. You truly need to install this as a program rather than copy files over from an old OS.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks!! I installed the PD software from the CD, created a username, set the backup conduit to Handheld Overwrites Desktop. When I connected the phone to my pc via usb hot sync cable the red light came on the phone and I pressed the hotsync button on the cable but it was unable to connect to my desktop. Everything appears to be setup properly...any ideas???