Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was hoping I would be able to use my centro as an mp3 player, but with the 2.5 jack I have already had 2 adapters fail when trying to run them through an fm modulator.

did palm use a proprietary 2.5 jack or something?

Has anyone had any luck using it in their car?

I going to have to go another route for mp3?

or am I stuck with some palm proprietary headset?
    My adapter works great. No problems at all. I use it all the time.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Check out TreoCentral's store for a jack that will work. They also sell dozens of headsets that will work without a jack.

You may also want to consider a set of BlueTooth stereo headsets with a program called Softick Audio Gateway. Its pricey but IMHO longterm its a better solution. Wireless and no worries about the jack going bad.

Do a search for SAG and youll see tons of posts about it.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    I was hoping I would be able to use my centro as an mp3 player, but with the 2.5 jack I have already had 2 adapters fail when trying to run them through an fm modulator.

did palm use a proprietary 2.5 jack or something?

Has anyone had any luck using it in their car?

I going to have to go another route for mp3?

or am I stuck with some palm proprietary headset?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Or you can look at ebay. I got myself a pair of 2.5mm headphones for next to nothing (i just needed something to listen the the music and not to talk)
    agreed hdhntr23

Buy SAG and get a set of bluetooth earbuds off ebay and your set. Probably cst you around 50 dollars between the two though. But no worrying about wires coming out of your pocket or having to hold your phone while doing activities is priceless. to me at least.
    Which stero headset did you purchase on eBay? I am currently rtying to decide whether to go wired, BT mono, or BT stereo.
    BT + stereo earbuds + SAG if you don't want to mess with the jack.

It will kill your battery faster though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texclerk View Post
    Which stero headset did you purchase on eBay? I am currently rtying to decide whether to go wired, BT mono, or BT stereo.
    you wont be able to go mono thru BT SAG and PTunes. You will have to purchase Stereo BT headphones for it all to work. They DO make a couple of pair that you can disconnect one of the 2 headphones and have it mono (not sure if SAG will route PTunes thru it or not) but you will still end up purchasing a pair thats stereo with the potential option to take off the second earphone.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    But I can go mono and BT with PTunes, right?
    I have gone mono BT with SAG with just one problem. SAG does not seem to want to play songs purchased thru online download. I tried using Sprint Music Manager and it worked initially but then stopped working. if anybody has workaround please posy!
    John 3:16
    sorry meant to say please POST.
    I use the headphones that come with the 755p. They are stereo and don't need an adapter. Best of all they have a mic that allows you to answer calls and talk within the headset. Buy them here or on ebay. I got a pair on ebay that does the same as Palms along with a car adapter and wall charger for $10 with shipping.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    aren't they wired though?
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmy600 View Post
    I have gone mono BT with SAG with just one problem. SAG does not seem to want to play songs purchased thru online download. I tried using Sprint Music Manager and it worked initially but then stopped working. if anybody has workaround please posy!
    Maybe if you re-encode the mp3 files?
    whatyoutalkinboutwillis? LOL! Okay before I actually ask the dumb question of what is re-encoding and how does one do it to an mp3 file, I'm actually going to go to Windows Media Player and see if I can figure it out. Thanks and I'll be back!
    Papped:

whatyoutalkinboutwillis? LOL! Okay before I actually ask the dumb question of what is re-encoding and how does one do it to an mp3 file, I'm actually going to go to Windows Media Player and see if I can figure it out. Thanks and I'll be back!
    Okay, I'm back, and I gather from my research that encoding refers to the audio quality? So would I just copy the songs and change the audio quality? And my assumption is I'm DECREASING the quality, correct?

Thanks for your help!
    The main question is what is different about the store bought mp3s.

Is it an unsupported bitrate? Is it something in the id3 tags (I would be surprised if this can cause problems though)? Or maybe it's not a straightforward mp3 codec even though the files are .mp3 extension.

If it's an unsupported bitrate you basically open it in an mp3 editor and export/save it as a different bitrate (192k or whatever) and see if it works then.

You can right click on a file on your PC and go to properties>Summary>Advanced to see what the current bit rate is. Try saving it as a new file with an mp3 editor with a common bitrate like 192kbps or 128kbps.

It could also be something like the fact that it is a protected .mp3 file. In which case re-exporting it (assuming the mp3 editor allows this on protected mp3 files) should get rid of that. You can even export it with the same bitrate settings if you want.
    Thanks this is very helpful. I just need to find an mp3 editor because assuming you can't edit in Windows Media player or sprint music manager.

Now, when you refer to re-exporting, you mean from the original download, ore re-exporting from pc to centro?
    By re-export I mean you have the mp3 file on your PC, open it, and export (re-save) it as a newly encoded mp3 file on your pc.

Then put the files back on your Centro and see if they play correctly.
  20.    #20  
    does it use a standard 2.5 adapter?

if so mine may be messed up as I am getting mono out of it, unless i "jiggle" it, and it like it switches from left to right channel.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast