Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

Anyone know when sprint/palm will release the centro GPS enabled firmware. I heard it has build in GPS but disabled in firmware. I am sick of using my bluetooth GPS with tom tom 6.

Come on palm guys make this work so I can show of more of my sweet lil palm phone that can do everything ( TV, GPS, Phone, MP3 player, doc viewer and on and on)

All i need is built in GPS
    N.e.v.e.r.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I am not counting on it. I would, however like to see either Google or Razix to figure out to enable "My Location" in CDMA Centros and not just GSM.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I'm loving my Freedom bluetooth gps reciever... its so small, its on my keychain and I forget its there. Maybe the one you have is too bulky?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    I am not counting on it. I would, however like to see either Google or Razix to figure out to enable "My Location" in CDMA Centros and not just GSM.
    Does the Google maps "my location" work on GSM Centros??? I know it works on other GSM phones but I thought it wasn't available on the POS at all... Are there different versions of POS Google maps for GSM vs. CDMA??
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I'm loving my Freedom bluetooth gps reciever... its so small, its on my keychain and I forget its there. Maybe the one you have is too bulky?
    I have a BT GPS and even though it isn't that big it is one more thing to worry about keeping charged up.. I used to keep it in my glovebox but by the time I actually went to use it, the battery was dead... It is still nice to have on trips where I know in advance to plug it in but it would be much nicer to have GPS built in... (Even though I know the GSM psudo tower-based "GPS" isn't always as accurate as a stand-alone GPS...)
    You can always go for a usb gps receiver or one that has a car power adapter if you want to use it as a car solution and don't want to charge it.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Jwflutterby, Google does not currently support "my location" in its gmm software for palmos. however, since then a developer named Razix has come up with a freeware "my location" app for treos/centeos. Unfortunately, last I checked, it only works on gsm.
    Palm has publicly said that they would release an update for Centros that would allow Google Maps to access tower data for My Location capability. As to when we'll see that, who knows...
    I tried out the MyLocation app from Razix and it isn't too bad... It kinda looks like it shows me the exact location of the closest tower... I played with the Google My Location feature on my husband's iPhone and it showed a circle showing the area you were in rather than a specific point and it seemed like circle moved when were driving unlike the fixed point Razix seems to show... (BTW how is it that Google could get the My Location to work on the iPhone before Apple released the SDK but they can't get it to work on the Palm OS???)
    I always thought it'd be a good idea to run a car charger for a BT puck in the car so the cables are hidden and only the plug is visible so you can hop in your car and plug it in to some inconspicuous spot along the dash or windshield. It would always charge and be at the ready if you wanted to take it walking, biking or somewhere other than the car while being one less thing mounted around your center console/dash area to junk things up. They are small enough that mounted at the edge of where the windshield meets the dash (even up by the mirror) it would be very out of the way and clean looking.

As far as google getting things working, heck, we can't even get Yahoo to give us their latest and greatest. With 1 million centros out there on top of all the other palm phones out there, they're missing out. You'd think these companies would want to get up and running on palm and create more loyalty to using their services.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    LOL

I had a samsung e900 or something lke that for a week. In the On demand app where it has maps the was an option to map your location. It worked pretty well too. Its funny a not so smart phone from samsung can do this (along with bluetooth voice dial) but the Palm OS cant
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Palm didn't release the information needed for MyLocation until after that version of Google maps came out. That's why that feature is not in the Palmos version of GMM and why 3rd party apps that came out later are trying to address that problem. For driving, just get a keychain GPS receiver and decent software (some can be expensive, but Earthcomber is free )
    The Centro's chipset does not support GPS so doun't count on it untill a sucessor is announced
    not talking satellite gps. they're talking agps that does tower triangulation which IS built in to the Centro's chipset. Get with the program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    The Centro's chipset does not support GPS so doun't count on it untill a sucessor is announced
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    not talking satellite gps. they're talking agps that does tower triangulation which IS built in to the Centro's chipset. Get with the program.
    Well, if you're going to get all snippy with the guy, I mean the first post in this thread does say:
    Anyone know when sprint/palm will release the centro GPS enabled firmware. I heard it has build in GPS but disabled in firmware.
    Anywho...aGPS is not "tower triangulation"--it is a combination of satellites (to the phone) and assistance servers that are based on the cell towers. The assistance servers have a constant GPS fix and relay to the phone which satelites to look for as well as off-loading some of the computation for the location acquisition.

Google Maps ("My Location") does not use aGPS but rather tower triangulation (a very old, inaccurate method of LBS; google collected the data from users via google maps + GPS).

The Centro is based on the MSM-6500 chipset, which while technically capable of aGPS, is not a very good system for it (it's inefficient and literally years old), hence why it won't be activated--not worth it.

Back to the topic and as mentioned ealier: Palm is planning to allow the tower information from the cell radio to be made available via API to Google Maps. This information is currently not available (on any Sprint phone) because of "privacy concerns".

When the update? No one knows.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    oh sure..bring logic and technical reasoning to the plate...haha
    lol...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Wow... nice
    Malatesta, love your answer, not sure of what it says - I dont' understand the technical jargon, does that mean GPS doesn't work and won't work in future?

Perfect.

I have been looking up where I'm going via maps, now the internet before I leave for years, so if my worst complaint is no GPS, I have learned to deal with it and function. To try to be in this century, I do jot the directions into Memo and carry it. Have found a lot of things that way

Besides, if GPS worked I would probably just have more wrecks since I can't see my phone without my reading glasses and I can't drive with them. This keeps my head up and looking where I'm going when I'm looking for street signs.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast