Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Writing things down will probably keep you safer than trying to follow maps on the Centro. However, just so you know, while it doesn't do mylocation it does give step-by-step driving instructions on the device using the pre-loaded Google maps. Just FYI if you don't have time to write directions down before leaving
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    Malatesta, love your answer, not sure of what it says - I dont' understand the technical jargon, does that mean GPS doesn't work and won't work in future?

Perfect.

I have been looking up where I'm going via maps, now the internet before I leave for years, so if my worst complaint is no GPS, I have learned to deal with it and function. To try to be in this century, I do jot the directions into Memo and carry it. Have found a lot of things that way

Besides, if GPS worked I would probably just have more wrecks since I can't see my phone without my reading glasses and I can't drive with them. This keeps my head up and looking where I'm going when I'm looking for street signs.
    Right, no GPS. (For a guide to aGPS/GPS, read here)

But Palm is reportedly going to add Google Maps "My Location" which is tower-based triangulation (significantly less accurate than GPS/aGPS)--so that's better than nothing. Accuracy varies from 50 feet to a couple of miles w/ "My Location".

Enabling aGPS on the device, besides being problematic, would also not be great for the end-user as IRC, Google Maps doesn't work with GPS so people would have to go out and purchase GPS mapping software.

At least on WM, Google Maps and Microsoft Live Search both can use the internal aGPS, making it much more useful to the end-user (and more widely adopted--Palm/Sprint would have to pay Qualcomm for the drivers to enable aGPS, which probably does not make financial sense if only ~10% of customers use it).
    Last edited by Malatesta; 04/14/2008 at 01:56 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Enabling aGPS on the device, besides being problematic, would also not be great for the end-user as IRC, Google Maps doesn't work with GPS so people would have to go out and purchase GPS mapping software.
    On a BB you can use Google Maps with the built-in GPS
    So, anyone heard even a good rumor of when the API to unlock tower data will happen? I've seen on other boards April 20 but don't know how reliable that is (given that it is relying on data supposedly gleaned from Google, of course its possible Google is making it work with GSM only for nowsince a way has already been found for GSM phones) since it hasn't come from Palm.

Of course, Palm is busy designing new colors for the phone so...
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    The Centro does not have GPS hardware inside (meaning a GPS receiver and antenna) so no, real GPS will never be enabled because it simply does not exist in the Centro.

The rumblings are that the 800w may have true GPS inside, but to this day there are just foils to back this up

However, Google maps My location uses a nifty trick to estimate your current location, called Cell tower Triaingulation/trilateration; this is a fancy way of saying that Google maps calculates how far you are from every tower your phone can "see" (or talk to), and then approximates a location based on those measurements. If you have seen this demoed in another phone (I saw it in an iPhone) you will see that your location is not a point location (i.e. you are at 111 Main st ave) but rather that your location is somewhere within this circle in the map.

In that line, Palm stated they would open their API (their software) to provide the Google app the information they need to perform the triangulation. This will only happen in the Centro and "newer Palm phones" later and will very likely require a software download or a ROM update.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Wrong, the Centro does have a GPS chipset along with EVDO Rev A.

Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    The Centro does not have GPS hardware inside (meaning a GPS receiver and antenna) so no, real GPS will never be enabled because it simply does not exist in the Centro.

The rumblings are that the 800w may have true GPS inside, but to this day there are just foils to back this up

However, Google maps My location uses a nifty trick to estimate your current location, called Cell tower Triaingulation/trilateration; this is a fancy way of saying that Google maps calculates how far you are from every tower your phone can "see" (or talk to), and then approximates a location based on those measurements. If you have seen this demoed in another phone (I saw it in an iPhone) you will see that your location is not a point location (i.e. you are at 111 Main st ave) but rather that your location is somewhere within this circle in the map.

In that line, Palm stated they would open their API (their software) to provide the Google app the information they need to perform the triangulation. This will only happen in the Centro and "newer Palm phones" later and will very likely require a software download or a ROM update.
    Quote Originally Posted by KitsunePaws View Post
    Wrong, the Centro does have a GPS chipset along with EVDO Rev A.
    Your a little late there with a joke...
    Quote Originally Posted by movievman View Post
    Hi,

Anyone know when sprint/palm will release the centro GPS enabled firmware. I heard it has build in GPS but disabled in firmware. I am sick of using my bluetooth GPS with tom tom 6.
    All i need is built in GPS
    You "heard" it from treocentral.com and it was an April Fools joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by nXt View Post
    You "heard" it from treocentral.com and it was an April Fools joke.
    or to be more precise, it was an attempt at a joke. I don't think too many people found it funny
    Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    or to be more precise, it was an attempt at a joke. I don't think too many people found it funny
    Yeah, a better joke would have been a Palm OS Treo with Wifi
    I don't know if the Centro has Rev. A or not...

But if it does NOT have Rev. A, why can I configure it to use Rev. A?

Check out the dial-code ##PREV# (##7738#):

P_REV 6 (cdma2000 Rel 0)
    P_REV 7 (cdma2000 Rel A)

(You'll need to know your 6-digit MSL code in order to view/change this information. Sprint should give it to you if asked, or if walking you through reprogramming your Centro. Or, I've written instructions for obtaining your MSL without contacting Sprint, here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1305546)

As for GPS, I agree, and don't think it'll ever have standalone GPS capabilities. It seems only phones with the newer Qualcomm MSM7500 chipset are getting GPS firmware updates. Sadly, I think the Centro is using the older MSM6500 chipset, at least according to Qualcomm's own QPST phone service tool software.

Oddly though, I didn't think the MSM6500 chipset supported Rev.A, so then what's up with it being an option in the ##PREV# menu???
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker View Post
    Palm has publicly said that they would release an update for Centros that would allow Google Maps to access tower data for My Location capability. As to when we'll see that, who knows...
    Palm once publicly said that palm wifi cards would work on treos
    Quote Originally Posted by beezlewaxin View Post
    I don't know if the Centro has Rev. A or not...

But if it does NOT have Rev. A, why can I configure it to use Rev. A?

Check out the dial-code ##PREV# (##7738#):

P_REV 6 (cdma2000 Rel 0)
    P_REV 7 (cdma2000 Rel A)

Oddly though, I didn't think the MSM6500 chipset supported Rev.A, so then what's up with it being an option in the ##PREV# menu???

I read somewhere in this forum that that may be 1Xrtt Rev A as opposed to EVDO Rev A. Centros can also operate on the old 1Xrtt data network when not in a EVDO area.

I could be wrong
    according to Qualcomm docs, the MSM6050
    edit: oops, from the internal picture I saw elsewhere on this forum it appears to be a MSM6500. Guess I got bad data feom another source.
    (radio for Centro CDMA) is capable of stand-alone satellite reception, the "a" in the aGPS just allows faster locks. I'd be plenty happy with slow locks if I could get at the functionality at all. Of course, the PDE IP and port settings are locked out even if you try to enter 'em with a PST software, but there is a 'standalone mobile' mode that can be set rather than PDE mode. Fat lot of good it does with no API to access the aGPS from software rather than externally from the e911 provider :<
    Location in the 2.0 google maps for palm is only good within 1-3 miles on my centro, never got closer than 3/5 of a mile, and it won't work unless the blasted phone can 'see' at least three towers anyway. Out in the boonies here in Missouri, that is next to useless.
    Anybody want to see a neat built-in feature that is disabled?
    VZW: type #*#location# on the 'phone keypad, or
    Sprint: I believe the code is ##location# but I could be wrong.
    Comes up all zeroes because of the firmware lockout, but so much information potentially there if it worked you wouldn't need GPS software at all.
    Hmph.
    Last edited by bigsupersquid; 11/20/2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: oops, part number seems to be incorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by jwflutterby View Post
    I tried out the MyLocation app from Razix and it isn't too bad... It kinda looks like it shows me the exact location of the closest tower... I played with the Google My Location feature on my husband's iPhone and it showed a circle showing the area you were in rather than a specific point and it seemed like circle moved when were driving unlike the fixed point Razix seems to show... (BTW how is it that Google could get the My Location to work on the iPhone before Apple released the SDK but they can't get it to work on the Palm OS???)
    google works on the iphone because location based services are allowed, on centros its disables in the firmware. the same goes for sprints highspeed data for centros is rev0 by default but if you know your msl code you can force it to use revA and get much faster speeds. there's a lot the centro is capable of but the programming stops us from using the best features.
    I thought the RevA was hardware related and not software related?
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigosrs View Post
    google works on the iphone because location based services are allowed, on centros its disables in the firmware. the same goes for sprints highspeed data for centros is rev0 by default but if you know your msl code you can force it to use revA and get much faster speeds. there's a lot the centro is capable of but the programming stops us from using the best features.
    Any reference to this magical change to enable *EVDO* revA on a Centro? I've never seen a setting to change this. The above reference does *not* affect EVDO.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Don't get your hopes up for any "magic". It doesn't matter if the hardware can support it or not. Garnet's telephony stack for CDMA cannot handle EVDO Rev.A due to its requirement to be able to handle simultaneous voice + data. And at this stage of the game, Palm's just trying to stay afloat long enough to sell the company. Continually hacking away at Garnet to support Rev.0 is not even on their priority list.

On top of that, we've already seen Garnet's EVDO Rev. 0 implementation hobble it on identical hardware running another OS (700w/wx vs. 700p years ago, for example) so the benefits realized by a theoretical Rev. A "trick" on current Garnet-based hardware would be VERY minor IMHO.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    The Centro cannot do EVDO RevA because the MSM6500 does not support it.

As far as Garnet being able to do it who knows, even the WM phones do not do simultaneous voice and data on Sprint or Verizon because their networks do not support it so I think that argument is not very compelling. My take is that making the Centro with basically the 755p hardware was easy and quick, they could someday make an MSM6800 based Centro 2 but I don't think they would get enough additional sales to justify the development expense.

Look to Nova for any newer PalmOS phones, and if that doesn't take off really well start getting used to Android.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Garnet's telephony stack for CDMA cannot handle EVDO Rev.A due to its requirement to be able to handle simultaneous voice + data.
    I can believe the chipset doesn't support it.

However this reason you provided doesn't make any sense.

I have a couple of RevA phones and none of them support simultaneous voice+data. Actually EVDO doesn't support simultaneous voice+data so it would be silly to require support for that in the phones.

If you have a reference to support what you are claiming please post to clear things up.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast