Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    About once or twice a week I wake up and find that my 755p Sprint is in a "dead freeze" (black screen, reacts to no buttons, green LED often is flashing as though there is some alert, and, thankfully, it is fully cured by a battery removal soft reset). The WEIRDNESS is that Safeguard shows that this happens at exactly 3:00 AM (it registers a reset not a crash). I have no app. that ought to do anything at 3 AM; although I may by chance receive an e-mail through Business Connect at that time (but have not in most of the dead freezes).

Clearly something is happening at 3 AM but I will be damned if I can figure it out. Safeguard shows that Business Connect has caused (HIGHLY likely) some crashes, but also blames other things as well.

So PLEASE:

Has anyone had anything like this, even a "dead freeze?"

Does anyone else use Business Connect on a 755p Sprint phone?

Finally a prize will be awarded to anyone who solves this problem.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Hmm...Interesting...What other programs do you have installed on your phone, besides Business Connect.
    No back up software? Mine is scheduled to back up at 3:00 a.m.

HEY...that's it! My back up is causing you a soft reset.

So do I get the prize? What is it?? Huh? Huh?
    You can install PalmInternals (freeware, available on freewarepalm.com) and get a list of alarms, there could possibly be one that is scheduled for 3:00AM. Also, you can co-relate the information from SafeGuard with the "notifications" listing from PalmInternals, all apps receiving a particular notification, one of them could have caused the crashed.

But the first thing I would do is a listing of all inbuilt and installed applications, and then the alarms listing.

Another thing is switch off the radio (as a trial) for a few days during night time. See if you get resets...

It would be helpful if you can post a screenshot (Or listing) of the exact crash details.
  5.    #5  
    Hey all,

Many thanks for your help. As soon as I have time (which may not be until I am back to my computer after the weekend) I will supply all the requested info. There is some:

It is on Sprint.

I am not complaining about the unasked for soft resets; but the "dead freeze" which, for all I know, may begin as a rest, but by the time I see the phone I have a black screen and it responds to NO buttons--I must remove and put back the battery to get it working. Safeguard does NOT report a crash but only a reset at 3:00 AM and then a Safeguard Alert also shows up in the Apps Activity Log about a minute after 3 AM. When the phone is frozen dead, it will not receive calls or sound alarms. AGAIN THIS HAPPENS ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK AT 3 AM. I do not do any auto backups.

DOES ANYONE ELSE USE BUSINESS CONNECT ON A 755p? I KNOW I AM RUNNING AN UNRELEASED BETA.

Many thanks, you folks are great!

BB
    Last edited by blazorboy; 04/10/2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling
    I am just curious, but did you post a thread about this several months ago, I really remember this same issue. Just wondering if perhaps you solved it then and it is now just recurring, or has it been with you all this time? Hope you find your solution soon.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    I am just curious, but did you post a thread about this several months ago, I really remember this same issue. Just wondering if perhaps you solved it then and it is now just recurring, or has it been with you all this time? Hope you find your solution soon.

Yes and no.

1. I may have started a thread or maybe just mentioned this in someone else's thread. Further, the problem of waking up to a dead phone started for me from the beginning with my first 755p (I have always had Business Connect on it, for I need that app to get to my work e-mail; I also always had Butler on it). Sprint thought it was a hardware problem and gave me a new, new phone after but a few weeks. The problem continues on this instrument.

2. What is new is that via Safeguard I now know that most, if not all, the over-night freezes happen, it seems, at 3:00 AM (what that you in my room last night Dollface?). Because they happen only once or twice a week, I have not set an alarm to awake at say 2:55 and watch the process. At times I have checked the phone as early as 3:30 to find it frozen (sometimes with the the green LED blinking--a process that can be triggered by a number of events including a new Bus. Connect e-mail).

I wonder whether setting an auto backup for say 2:58 would prevent the phone from freezing--but I doubt that. I will pass this information on to SEVEN (who make Bus Connect) and ask if at times they do something to their server around 3AM.

My wife's 755p (obtained at the same time as my original) which has virtually no 3rd party apps but sleeps in the same room as mine, does not freeze.

Sorry to go on and on like this, but I am mystified.

Thanks for your good wishes.

BB
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    No back up software? Mine is scheduled to back up at 3:00 a.m.

HEY...that's it! My back up is causing you a soft reset.

So do I get the prize? What is it?? Huh? Huh?

Good try but no auto backup, hence no cigar!

BB
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    You can install PalmInternals (freeware, available on freewarepalm.com) and get a list of alarms, there could possibly be one that is scheduled for 3:00AM. Also, you can co-relate the information from SafeGuard with the "notifications" listing from PalmInternals, all apps receiving a particular notification, one of them could have caused the crashed.

But the first thing I would do is a listing of all inbuilt and installed applications, and then the alarms listing.

Another thing is switch off the radio (as a trial) for a few days during night time. See if you get resets...

It would be helpful if you can post a screenshot (Or listing) of the exact crash details.

Great idea, you may have given me my best clue. PInternals shows a schedule alarm as follows:

4/11/08 3:00:00 m68k 7327 ABCA

note the 3AM time scheduled for tomorrow.

Now WTF is m68k 7327 ABCA? Probably a HEX address--not much help!

I know m68k is related to palm to the PalmOS, a part of the instruction set?? But now I am WAY over my head.

Thanks!!

BB
    Last edited by blazorboy; 04/10/2008 at 06:01 PM.
    it seems that you have big problem. i haven't seen this problem in other forums.
    "If you bring forth what is within you, it will heal you. And if you do not bring forth what is within you, it will destroy you." (from the Gospel of St. Thomas)
    Hi

Well I found out what m68k is: Ran PalmInternals and found that I had an alarm for "MMNotify' m68k 21c8da44 at 12:08. Did a little searching on m68k and found a old thread ' TreoCentral.com > Palm OS Software > Palm OS Apps
    Reload this Page Emul68kMain' which had a reply by METAVIEW:

Hi,

most apps run in a m68k emulation. This is because in the former times (before Palm OS 5) the devices were m68k-powered, a processor from Motorola.
    When an app crashes inside this emulation, you will see this error message. You should avoid this app, or it might also happens because of another background-app which doesn't work correctly on modern devices.

Regards
    Henk

I think that the mmnotify alarm in my case is versamail.

Good luck in solving your problem

George
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    Now WTF is m68k 7327 ABCA? Probably a HEX address--not much help!
    Maybe it is a hex address... Can't say as the "4/11/08 3:00:00 m68k 7327 ABCA" is not in correct sequence... but it could also be a CreatorID of some application that is installed. Now, install FileZ or something and look at the file listing for CreatorID ABCA... Maybe (since you said you are testing something) you may be missing some files that are required by the 'ABCA' application.

Edit: Business Connect does appear to be the kind of application that would have 'ABCA' as its CreatorID... and the type of application to use 'm68k' code... just a guess.

Last edited by GreenHex; 04/11/2008 at 12:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    My Centro also resets at 3:00 am. Not everynight, but seems to be in a string of nights, the last three nights it has. I only know this from looking at Reset Doctor. Most times the error is "Reset - no error User initiated?" A month ago there is a reset that is attributed to "Fatal Exception" "While running Sprint Mobile Email."

I'm not sure if it was a coninidence that Sprint Email was recieving email at the time, or it that's what's been causing it all along. Since it doesn't happen every night I would think it's not Sprint Email. Could it be trouble with World Clock, only when I set an alarm?

Its not a big issue except that I can't leave the sound on overnight because the start up noise always wakes me up. This means I can't ever hear my alarm.
    Guys... are you sure you are not getting resets during the day as well (and just not noticing it?)

Anyways, you can install TraceCrash http://www.suntzu-software.com/tracecrash.htm (freeware) (Hi Suntzu!!!) or TreoCrashLog from ranosoft.net (shareware) and check out all the resets and reasons why you are getting them.

How about running "StabilityTest" from fly-zip?
    found this info, it is worth a shot, since you already have Palm Internals installed:

"As an additional measure, I suggest that you download the program, PalmInternals, and install it to your Treo. When you launch PalmInternals a warning will popup, tap "No". On the next screen, at the bottom there will be two buttons - "Alarm" and "Notif.", tap "Notif." A list will be generated, once the list is complete, scroll and scan it, if you read any entries that have m68k in them these programs have not been updated for NVFS and are causing problems. Identify these programs, and either remove them altogether or download RescoLocker and lock these programs into memory. I am able to use ClipPro with this technique without it generating any crashes."
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I have reset doctor n my phone, so I can see when crashes occur, much like the software you and others recommend I think. Occasionally I do get resets during the day. But, nothing as frequently as the 3:00 am reset. I've removed Sprint Mobile email and for one night haven't had the crash. We'll see after a few more nights.
  17.    #17  
    UPDATE

Using Tealscan I found out that the freezes occure at 3:00 AM (show up as a reset not a crash). Using PalmInternals I see that an alarm is set by some app (not IDed) for 3:00 AM for most days. It uses the 68K emulator implying it might come for an older app. The HEX location tell me nothing useful.

I will be damned but cannot find any app that wants anything at 3AM.

Wise men: any thoughts?

Thanks,

BB

PS It froze last night (morning) even though I had PowerHero set to turn off the radio at 2 AM. BB
    So did you click on Notifications in Palm Internals instead of Alarms? Supposedly you can see which apps have the m68K string in them. I suppose you have tried a hard reset (or several) and did a clean hotsync install instead of using your old Backup folder? A fresh 755 should not have any m68K apps in ROM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    It uses the 68K emulator implying it might come for an older app.
    Not entirely true... but what I wanted to suggest was to set the time to around 2:57AM (or something) and wait the few odd minutes and see what happens...

Back-up everythiing before resetting the time...
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Update: My freezing problem appears to be fixed.

The two things I did:
    1. Erase my email account from Sprint Mobile Email, effectively uninstalling the program
    2. Using Resco Locker, locked 4Cast, Softick Audio Gateway, and KeyCaps.

I'll try unlocking one a day to see if one was causing the problem. But, I'd bet it was Sprint Mobile Email.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast