Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    So did you click on Notifications in Palm Internals instead of Alarms? Supposedly you can see which apps have the m68K string in them. I suppose you have tried a hard reset (or several) and did a clean hotsync install instead of using your old Backup folder? A fresh 755 should not have any m68K apps in ROM.
    Thanks, Dollface. Because Biz Connect is essential I have not yet done a truely clean hard reset. As best I know, m68k is not a Notification by just an indication that the POS is using an emulator for m6800; but I am over my head here. Do see my next post.

BB
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Wow, that is really strange. I've never heard of a Treo doing that. Though my 755p went dead until I removed the battery and turned it back on. Maybe the new ROM will fix that problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Guys... are you sure you are not getting resets during the day as well (and just not noticing it?)

Anyways, you can install TraceCrash http://www.suntzu-software.com/tracecrash.htm (freeware) (Hi Suntzu!!!) or TreoCrashLog from ranosoft.net (shareware) and check out all the resets and reasons why you are getting them.

How about running "StabilityTest" from fly-zip?
    SafeGuard goes far beyond the information returned by these applications.

Jeff
    found this info, it is worth a shot, since you already have Palm Internals installed:

"As an additional measure, I suggest that you download the program, PalmInternals, and install it to your Treo. When you launch PalmInternals a warning will popup, tap "No". On the next screen, at the bottom there will be two buttons - "Alarm" and "Notif.", tap "Notif." A list will be generated, once the list is complete, scroll and scan it, if you read any entries that have m68k in them these programs have not been updated for NVFS and are causing problems. Identify these programs, and either remove them altogether or download RescoLocker and lock these programs into memory. I am able to use ClipPro with this technique without it generating any crashes."
    SafeGuard does a much better job of telling you what is running in the background and what applications are potentially harmful because of a lack of cache locking. It even remembers applications that have run in the background in the past but are no longer running. PalmInternals only shows you what is happening right now.

Jeff

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    UPDATE

Using Tealscan I found out that the freezes occure at 3:00 AM (show up as a reset not a crash). Using PalmInternals I see that an alarm is set by some app (not IDed) for 3:00 AM for most days. It uses the 68K emulator implying it might come for an older app. The HEX location tell me nothing useful.

I will be damned but cannot find any app that wants anything at 3AM.

Wise men: any thoughts?

Thanks,

BB

PS It froze last night (morning) even though I had PowerHero set to turn off the radio at 2 AM. BB
    Look at SafeGuard's Active Apps screen. Then look at the Inforamtion screen for all applications that have a BELL to the right of their application name. You will be able to find the application that has an alarm set for 3:00am. The m68k information in PalmInternals means nothing in this context.

Jeff
    So did you click on Notifications in Palm Internals instead of Alarms? Supposedly you can see which apps have the m68K string in them. I suppose you have tried a hard reset (or several) and did a clean hotsync install instead of using your old Backup folder? A fresh 755 should not have any m68K apps in ROM.
    The m68k in the notification screen means nothing other than the notification is running in 68k mode. You may also see arm and that is OK too. The things that cause concern are entries that have a cache address. Then you must look at the locking table to see if the application is also locking its code segment and its database. If not, then this application is prone to crashing. But all of this information is automated in SafeGuard. If you see a RED running man in SafeGuard's Active App screen, this means the application is using unsafe callback notifications as described above!

Net-Net, PalmInternals is really a tool for developers and users that really know a great deal about the Palm operating system. I developed SafeGuard to first simplify this type of analysis in the Palm operating system and second to go much further than PalmInternals has gone.

Jeff

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by dman081 View Post
    Update: My freezing problem appears to be fixed.

The two things I did:
    1. Erase my email account from Sprint Mobile Email, effectively uninstalling the program
    2. Using Resco Locker, locked 4Cast, Softick Audio Gateway, and KeyCaps.

I'll try unlocking one a day to see if one was causing the problem. But, I'd bet it was Sprint Mobile Email.
    BE VERY CAREFUL USING LOCKING PROGRAMS! 4Cast does not need to be locked. I have talked to Shimon of ShSh and he is using a very unique locking method and his application is safe. I also do not believe SAG needs locking.

If you lock too many things in cache, you will get even more problems that if you didn't lock anything. Most applications will lock themselves if they need to be locked. I suggest using SafeGuard to identify those applications that are in possible need of locking. But do this SPARINGLY!!!!

Jeff
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Update (many months later):

After not having any problems since uninstalling Sprint Mobile Email, I went ahead and installed it last week. No surprise, crashes every night at some seemingly random time from 3:00 am to 3:59 am.

This time I know its the email program since after updating to the new firmware I never reinstalled 4cast or sofstick. Keycaps has been installed the whole time with no problems.

Too bad because Sprint Mobile Email was a handy program for checking gmail.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by dman081 View Post
    Update (many months later):

After not having any problems since uninstalling Sprint Mobile Email, I went ahead and installed it last week. No surprise, crashes every night at some seemingly random time from 3:00 am to 3:59 am.

This time I know its the email program since after updating to the new firmware I never reinstalled 4cast or sofstick. Keycaps has been installed the whole time with no problems.

Too bad because Sprint Mobile Email was a handy program for checking gmail.
    SME is the current version of BCPE, the one that used to cause my dead freezes. Seven are the developers. You might want to contact them, a guy named Paul Brown (pbrown@seven.com would probably be interested. You might mention my user name (blazor boy) in your e-mail. I am beta testing a new version for them. I recently have restarted getting some dead freezes.

BB
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12