1.    #1  
    My wife broke her treo by dropping it, and didn't want to wait for me to fix it, so she bought a blackberry : Anyways, the parts came in, and I fixed the phone. Last night I dropped my sid card into it, and it works perfectly fine. Now I am thinking i might take it, but only if there is some other things that I would use it for rather than just a phone. I'd rather not lug around this huge thing for no reason. Now, I don't want to spend money (except for a SD card if needed), I personally don't have a data plan, so what can i use it for? Give me some ideas of what this thing can do! I already have an MP3 player. The only thing I thought of was google maps, but doesn't that cost money to connect to? Thanks!
    You can use the contacts, task list, and calendar features to start with. Doc2Go can be used to edit word and excel files and view adobe files. Handyshopper is useful for shopping lists and other checklists.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    You can use the contacts, task list, and calendar features to start with. Doc2Go can be used to edit word and excel files and view adobe files. Handyshopper is useful for shopping lists and other checklists.

Thanks for the response! I guess i wanted to have ideas that I could use it for, rather than my cell phone. I have contacts, calender, task list etc with my phone, and it is tiny, so i didn't see the need to lug around the palm. Handy shopper is interesting though, thanks for the idea.
    Here is a small list of things you can use your treo for, aside from a phone. Get the custom ROM and it supports SDHC cards to expand beyond the paltry 2GB on it.

Photo viewer(Media)
    Music player(goodbye ipod)
    Movie player(courtesy of the free TCPMP player)
    Mobile office(Docs to go, calendar, contacts, etc)
    Portable gaming system(Little John Palm and ROMS)
    TV remote(nice program like omni remote, and you can annoy people at the sports bar by turning on the disney channel)

You can also use a treo for the following:
    Paperweight(extended battery recommended for the weight)
    Doorstop(use with a skin type case to prevent slipping)
    Personal defense device(extended battery optional, use liberally on skull of attacker)

With size limitations, not much a Treo can't do aside from play World of Warcraft.. Although I heard some uber geek is working on a port so he can play at work.
    Handhelds
    Zire 31-> Zire 72s-> T|X

Phones:
    Nokia 5160-> Nokia 3100-> Nokia 3220-> Treo 650 Unlocked(modded ROM)-> Treo 680 Unlocked(modded ROM #8 within 15 minutes of receiving the box)-> Treo Pro(hacked as well)
  5.    #5  
    GOOD DEAL! NES games for free, that might be worth it! I also found that you can use it as a GPS unit, if you buy a bluetooth GPS. Pretty cool!

Just so i can get an idea, how many movies could i add to a 8GB card. Or could you give me an idea of how much info can be stored on it?

i found this on the cheap, and its probably worth it
    http://www.ctcstore.com/Transcend-8G...B000P9ZBFA.htm
    Last edited by robhurlburt; 04/09/2008 at 10:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I would suggest getting a Bluetooth GPS Reciever and navigation software.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by JHETZEL View Post
    I would suggest getting a Bluetooth GPS Reciever and navigation software.
    do you have one and what would you suggest?
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
    do you have one and what would you suggest?
    I use to use TomTom Navigator 5 on my old 650. That Said I have head good things about Garmin XT.

See - http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=130560
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    You can download ereader and read ebooks on it.
    Laissez Faire
  10.    #10  
    is there a difference between the SD cards? Some are super cheap, and others are really expensive. BTW, looking at the 8gb cards
    Quote Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
    is there a difference between the SD cards? Some are super cheap, and others are really expensive. BTW, looking at the 8gb cards
    Depending on the class. I would make sure to buy SDHC class6 8GB card (cheapest possible). The Treo can't use the high speed but when you copy files in and out from SD, it makes the difference.

I use Patriots SDHC class6 4GB & 8GB. They're pretty cheap (8gb for $34 cdn from NCIX).
    3Com PalmPilot Personal > Handspring Visor Deluxe > Palm Tungsten T > PalmOne Tungsten T5 > PalmOne Treo650

Current Device: Palm Treo 680 w/1.12 Cust1 ROM, 4GB SDHC, GlobalSAT GPS Receiver
  12.    #12  
    so any of these should be fine...

http://www.google.com/products?q=SDH...tive&scoring=p

also, which palm do i have to download maps from mapopolis?
    Palm 0S 5
    Palm OS 3/4
    Pocket PC

Thanks!
    Last edited by robhurlburt; 04/15/2008 at 07:14 AM.
    Sell it on ebay. I know a person at work who might be interested in a 680 for a low price.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
  14.    #14  
    i am keeping it as a back up phone in-case my wifes blackberry breaks. I would only sell it on ebay for a HIGH price