Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I work for a large company and I'm responsible for monitoring, administrating and maintaining Good Messenger. We have a huge population who are on Palm OS devices, roughly 1500 devices. While working on a warranty issue with our Sprint Business Rep he informed me that as of TODAY, the 755p has been EOL'd and the replacement will be the Centro (Palm 690). WTF???

I was in total shock... Has anyone experienced this as well? This has forced us to skip on the Centro (its not a business device) and start pushing the HTC Mogul device as it works very well with Goodlink. Its also put stress on our relationship with Sprint as now we are adding new accounts over to ATT and Verizon.

Any one shed some more light???
    Would seem like a pretty dumb move considering the Centro doesn't really replace the 755p.
    Could you expand on why you think it doesnt replace the 755? - i have both here right now and am trying to decide on what to keep
    The notion of such a new device being at end of life is absurd. Call tech support and demand to speak to a manager. With that many devices you owe it to your users to investigate beyond a single conversation with an apparantly misinformed representative.
    He might just be trying to push a sale...
    The 755p has a much larger screen and keyboard. The build quality is not the same (compare the speakerphone on the Centro to the 755p on a call).
    Plus, the two devices target two very different markets...business users for for 755p, and end-users for the Centro.
    Be sure to check out SmartDeviceResource!

Device Timeline: Palm III → RIM 950 → RIM 957 → Tungsten W → Kyocera 7135 → Treo 600 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p → Treo 755p & 800w → Treo 755p & Pro
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Agree with you all 100%.. We were in complete shock that they would do this especially to business users as the Centro is more of a consumer device.

As it stands right now the Sprint 755p has been EOL'ed and spoke with our Business Care Manager for ATT and they said the Treo 680 will be EOL'ed as of June 1st.

I cannot believe they feel the Centro is an equal "replacement device". We have demo'ed the Centro in our environement and it does not hold up well. Good Messenging (direct push) eats up the battery.

I have began looking at replacement devices on both carriers.. Seems like Sprint 700wx will be around then replaced by the 800w soon. This seems like a practical choice and get away from Palm OS all together. On ATT im still awaiting word on the road map for the 750v and or if its going to be replaced with another Windows Treo equivalent.

Unbelievable huh... Guess now is the best time for us to transition away from Palm OS.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Confirming information: I am trying to upgrade my Treo 700p and as of at least 2 days ago the 755p was not listed as an upgrade option on the Sprint web site (although it is still being offered on the Palm webpage). Interestingly, the 700p is no longer listed by Sprint either, thought the 700wx is.

It looks like I will finally be forced to look at a Windows device as well.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Ok, the Sprint rep for our company just let us know that the 755p in Blue and in Burgundy are EOL. However, they will be replaced by a Silver one, part number PTR 755PHK. He said Sprint fully realizes that the 755p is used by corporations and that it was just a color change that Palm is doing for reasons unknown to him. So hopefully that sheds some light on the situation. He did say that Sprint puts out a dealer "deck" for dealers which lists all the current phones and the ones on the EOL list were the Palm 755p in blue and Burgundy.
    Palm is still selling the Blue 755p for Sprint, but Sprint isn't offering either the blue or the Burgundy in their lineup.
    When I got my SERO plan they said the Treo 755p wasn't even compatible with my plan when I tried to activate it (which is absolutely wrong and idiotic).

Sounds like Sprint is just dropping the ball regarding the 755p for no reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlai View Post
    However, they will be replaced by a Silver one, part number PTR 755PHK.
    That's very interesting...I want a pic!

Device Timeline: Palm III → RIM 950 → RIM 957 → Tungsten W → Kyocera 7135 → Treo 600 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p → Treo 755p & 800w → Treo 755p & Pro
    hmm, if the silver is not a rubber finish, Ill pass..

I'm not feelin the Cingular/ATT Treo 680
    There should be no reason why it won't be rubberized...

IF, **and this is a major IF**, the 755Ps are being replaced, there might be a chance that they upgrade the ram on the 755s..

Again, this is just plain hopes and ifs.

(Remember the Verizon 700w and WX upgrades?)
    Palm os doesn't run into nearly the same kind of memory limit problems WM does though.

So personally I find that severely unlikely.
    It's true, the 755p is NOT available on the Sprint site any more. That's weird to me. Others have confirmed it is no longer there and Sprint will stop selling it. This is nuts and doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps they are readying for the 800p, or whatever the new Palm-developed Linux OS will be? The 800w takes care of the ancient 700wx. But what gives?
    Palm Treo 755p (Sprint)
    Previously owned: Cingular 650, Sprint 700wx, Sprint 700p
    I really doubt the next Palm phone is anywhere near ready. The 800w is supposedly a summer release, but considering the Palm OS one hasn't even been mentioned, go figure.

Sounds like Sprint does look to "replace" the 755p with the Centro, aka convert everyone to WM.
    I've said it before, and Ill say it again now...Chatter is the ONLY program holding me back from PalmOS...

I wonder what Marc is up to these days @ Palm?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast