Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a long time palm user (don't judge my # of posts like some do) starting with palm pilots then the treo 600 and 650. I've had the 700P for over a year and hate it. Nothing but problems. I read this board to try to keep up but am giving up. You might say well go over to Palm windows version but it's still Palm and concerned Palm will abandon any hardware I bought because they are producing another version. The whole company seems to have gone to shi&. Plenty of phones and organizers that get the job done.

See ya palm.
    OK, ba bye....

Just so ya know, I've had my Sprint 700p since May '06 (yup, 2 years old end of next month) and it works freakin great. Even did the firmware update on the first go around on June 4th '07.

I absolutely love it.

3.    #3  
    I'm verizon.
    I am also Verizon, and my 700P is really great. Very few resets. Some freezing, but not so much to be a problem.
    Have been very happy with mine. Sorry you have had so much trouble.

Hope your next device is more to your liking.

Best of luck,
    RJuhl
    As a long time Palm PDA user (and Treo 650 and 700p user) I was not satisfied with a Treo-type device until I got my Centro. It is what Plam should have released from the start as far as a NVFS device. I'm finally back to the stability I had with Palm PDAs. You might want to look at a Centro, at least for the trial period, before jumping ship entirely.
    You must have a defective Treo 700p then. Because mine is AMAZING. Sure the default features/apps/abilities kind of stink on the 700p, but that's why it runs on Palm OS, so you can customize/hack everything to exactly how you need it .

Mine is running perfectly and every day I'm amazed how I ever used a phone without all the features it has!
    Just convert 700p into 755p and see if you can use it a bit longer
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    I love my 700P. Rarely does it crash or reset.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Well...I had it too. My 2-year agreement is up and after swapping out the 700p 5 times between mine and my wife's handset, I just don't think that that our problems will be solved within the 7xx line.
    I've done all the hacks/tweaks/updates possible and there's no solution to fix the spontaneous reboots, loss of data connection, shoddy bluetooth headset usability and other bugs that plague this platform. Now that California hands-free law goes into effect in June I have no choice but to get something that works rock-solid.

However, I would like to say that this device was a revelation for me and set the benchmark by which all other devices (feature-wise) still can't match. When the Treo works without it's complications, it's unmatched by any other device. I was absolutely enamored by it for the first year I had it. However, as I started using all the features to it's fullest potential after that first year, I began to notice all the imperfections and issues that brought me to the realization that this device is plagued with hardware problems.

So now I move on and I'll see how things go with the Q9c for my wife and a Touch for me.

I'd like to thank all those who've helped and made suggestions on how to live with this device over the past two years. This site is a great resource. Maybe I'll be back when Nova ships in 2009 or 2010 or 2011...

Thanks all
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    OK, ba bye....

Just so ya know, I've had my Sprint 700p since May '06 (yup, 2 years old end of next month) and it works freakin great. Even did the firmware update on the first go around on June 4th '07.

I absolutely love it.

lol way to rub it in Same here I love this device, did the same firmware update it's even better....
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Well...I had it too. My 2-year agreement is up and after swapping out the 700p 5 times between mine and my wife's handset, I just don't think that that our problems will be solved within the 7xx line.
    I've done all the hacks/tweaks/updates possible and there's no solution to fix the spontaneous reboots, loss of data connection, shoddy bluetooth headset usability and other bugs that plague this platform. Now that California hands-free law goes into effect in June I have no choice but to get something that works rock-solid.

However, I would like to say that this device was a revelation for me and set the benchmark by which all other devices (feature-wise) still can't match. When the Treo works without it's complications, it's unmatched by any other device. I was absolutely enamored by it for the first year I had it. However, as I started using all the features to it's fullest potential after that first year, I began to notice all the imperfections and issues that brought me to the realization that this device is plagued with hardware problems.

So now I move on and I'll see how things go with the Q9c for my wife and a Touch for me.

I'd like to thank all those who've helped and made suggestions on how to live with this device over the past two years. This site is a great resource. Maybe I'll be back when Nova ships in 2009 or 2010 or 2011...

Thanks all

This is a great post and right on the money. I have owned every model that Palm/Handspring has ever produced (remember the Treo 300 anyone??) and I have had it.
    All I want is a rock-solid phone that isn't full of surprises.

Wanna connect to Bluetooth? Here come the endless reset loops! Whoohoo!!

Wanna hang up the phone after a conversation? Gotta wait until the phone catches up with itself and decides to register that I pushed the "call end" button. This is great when you don't want to leave a message, but are forced to do so because the %$^%@ phone is still conected!

How about surf the web? Sure, if you don't mind reconnecting every two or three minutes!

Do you like lag?? This is the phone for you!!! Try sending a quick text, but having to wait after the first word or two because the phone mysteriously freezes for 20 seconds for no apparent reason. Fun, fun, fun!!!

Don't even get me started on Wi-Fi or GPS.

Sure, some of you have been lucky and gotten Treo phones that work great.
    But I don't have the time and/or money to gamble on a product that may or may not work. Every phone in every box that is placed on every shelf should work. Period. Sure, one or two will have problems, but when I have to return a faulty phone once, twice, a third time, and then a fourth time, the fun is over.

I've had it. Palm, you lost another long-term customer because you make a mediocre product that could be great with just a little support and attention.

Time to move on.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LTCAvery View Post
    I'm a long time palm user (don't judge my # of posts like some do) starting with palm pilots then the treo 600 and 650. I've had the 700P for over a year and hate it. Nothing but problems. I read this board to try to keep up but am giving up. You might say well go over to Palm windows version but it's still Palm and concerned Palm will abandon any hardware I bought because they are producing another version. The whole company seems to have gone to shi&. Plenty of phones and organizers that get the job done.

See ya palm.
    I've also had the 600 and the 650, which gave me loads of problems, but when I got the 700P everything has been working much better. I have several other phones that I work on for my family and friends and they have almost as many problems that I have, especially when it comes to using bluetooth.
    Last edited by d1hamby; 04/27/2008 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling
    I have a business-issued 700P with Verizon. ( I also have many Palms and Treos, beginning with the IIIC)

If I left the business today and had to get my own phone, it would be another 700P. It is working great and I still am amazed at what the Palm OS can do, with the right programs.
    After leaving my 700p for an HTC Touch I realized how 'ease-of-use' the Treo is. But I also realized how much more powerful the WinMob platform is and what stability means.
    I think I'm done too, was debating to get a centro but after playing with one that a friend has I didn't see anything new. It was the same thing I had, just smaller and less bugs (probably some new ones too). I'm thinking of waiting for the 3G iphone.
    After going through 4 700p's I finally got one that doesn't have a disconnect problem with my BT headset. Most other problems are gone, too.

It's the hardware. Some work, some don't. That's why everyone should pay the $4 or $7/mo for insurance on the phone and request a new phone when they get a bad one.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    I honestly do feel bad for you guys having issues with your device. I think I was one who initially speculated that it was user error. I mean after having my device for almost two years without issues and it's even faster/better with the 755 firmware update I couldn't comprehend how anyone would complain.

But I too am convinced that a bad batch was released and it's almost a 50/50chance of getting one, with bad hardware. Not to rub it in to anyone, but I'm excited to find out what Palm has next. I hope and pray they have employee that read these type of forums and blogs to find out what the consumers like and don't like to finally get it right for EVERYONE!!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    It's OK to move on. Being the owner of a 700p has been a polarizing issue almost since the beginning.

For those of you whose 700p is working, kudos. However, I'd challenge you to push the 700p to its limits. Do you even do that? If so, and the 700p remains stable then you can be considered not only lucky, but winners of the PalmOS lottery of sorts.

For the original poster, I and many share your pain. The 700p was an ill-conceived piece of tech that nowadays is seen as the placeholder (or some have called it the first prototype) of the 755p/Centro. I wish you luck in finding a good solution, I know you will as the smartphone arena now presents many very interesting choices. I'll be doing the same in the very near future and everything points to WM given my particular needs.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    How do you define pushing it to the limit?
    I DO push my 700p to the limits, in every respect but bluetooth, which I have no need for. I think BT is the real achilles heel of the 700 and where a lot of issues arrive. but I've got a couple of dozen significant apps, including many 'background' apps, and heavily use email and the web.

My Treo is quite reliable. I'm quite happy with it, after adding all those apps.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast