Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Using Launcher X for app organization and control...

On my Treo 650 I was able to reassign the Home hard button to Launcher X, not so on the Centro... Why, and is there a work around?

I also relied on PC Commander's Button Launcher for reassigning multiple apps to the hard buttons, but my older copy doesn't play nice with the Centro.. What are the favored apps for multi-app button assignment on the Centro, and will any of these allow for redirecting the Home button??

I have Launcher X set to the side button for now, but it leaves the Home button useless..
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    You could use a profile app like Butler, or use LudusP 1.9 to remap the home button:

http://www.ludustech.com/ludusp/

LudusP 1.9 works real well on the Centro. LudusP is shareware for a small fee with a trial period....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Using Launcher X for app organization and control...

On my Treo 650 I was able to reassign the Home hard button to Launcher X, not so on the Centro... Why, and is there a work around?
    The workaround is... get version 1.37

At least on my GSM Centro the Home button now selects LauncherX

Regards,

Jochen
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    The workaround is... get version 1.37
    Of Launcher X or PC Commander? The problem isn't in LauncherX. Unless there were upgrades to v1.37 that allows button re-assignment, that duty lies with (in my old config) PC Commander.
    Technology Rules!
    I'm guessing LauncherX since support for the Centro was recently added.
    http://www.launcherx.com/downloads/H...%20History.txt
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    I'm guessing LauncherX since support for the Centro was recently added.
    http://www.launcherx.com/downloads/H...%20History.txt
    LauncherX doesn't provide button assignment provisions, unless this was added in the new version.
    Technology Rules!
    LauncherX doesn't provide button assignment provisions, unless this was added in the new version.
    Sorry, I misunderstood.
    I thought you simply wanted to have LauncherX rather than Palm's own pathetic launcher appear when pressing the Home button.

In 1.37, LauncherX does replace the Palm's launcher; only problem: Press And Hold won't get you the list of recently run apps but cycle quickly through LauncherX's screens; to access the Recent list you have to be in some program other than LauncherX.

Regards,

Jochen
    Last edited by Jochen K.; 04/09/2008 at 09:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Sorry, I misunderstood.
    I thought you simply wanted to have LauncherX rather than Palm's own pathetic launcher appear when pressing the Home button.

In 1.37, LauncherX does replace the Palm's launcher; only problem: Press And Hold won't get you the list of recently run apps but cycle quickly through LauncherX's screens; to access the Recent list you have to be in some program other than LauncherX.
    Worth clarifying... And thanks for hangin in with me on this...

LauncherX will replace the inefficient Palm launcher with a fresh, clean tabbed UI. But it still must be launched from within Palms launcher unless you re-map it to another button. It doesn't offer remapping as one of it's features. At least the older version doesn't.

Likewise the Centro doesn't allow you to remap the Home button (Pref / Buttons) though older Treo's would.

The press and hold function is of less use for me than one-button launching of LauncherX. I had the side button assigned to LauncherX, but....1) it leaves the Palm launcher still assigned to the Home button, which will now be a dead button, and 2) With the Seidio hard rubberized case, which I like a lot, you can't easily get to the side button and, 3) you wake up the Centro with a press of the side button...

LudusP allows for hard button re-assignment (One app per hard button) as does PC Commander (I think it's nine apps per hard button, but I can't seem to locate the website for them any longer), but it is down to needing to re-assign one button. Not worth $10 to reassign one button.
    Technology Rules!
    Worth clarifying... And thanks for hangin in with me on this...

LauncherX will replace the inefficient Palm launcher with a fresh, clean tabbed UI. But it still must be launched from within Palms launcher unless you re-map it to another button. I
    You are right, of course.
    I bought Butler the same day as my Centro, and I completely forgot that I used it to assign the Home button to LauncherX.

Jochen
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    You are right, of course.
    I bought Butler the same day as my Centro, and I completely forgot that I used it to assign the Home button to LauncherX.
    Thanks Jochen,

I guess I'll splurge for Butler.
    Technology Rules!
    ScrBtn does any hardware button reassigment for free. It's just a little trickier.

Go to Menu->Options->HardButton in Prefs. Selecting "Hard Button 4" from the pull down menu will show the Creator ID of the application currently assigned. Just type the desired Creator ID and tap "Map to CrID". That fixed it for me.

In order to find the Creator ID, use FileZ to look for the application file, check the "Creator" field in the details view.

ScrBtn and FileZ can be downloaded from http://www.freeware-palm.com

Regards.

--fnds
    Anybody get this to work without having the Applications app flash on the screen for a half of a sec everytime you press the HOME button?