Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    According to Handango, the movie app Videohound just released the first update to its REX database in six months. This was an unexpectedly long wait because previous updates were monthly. I had sent Pocket Sensei an email a week or so back (before the update) but never got any reply.

I'm wondering just what sort of update this latest REX is. I put in the titles of all the major 2008 Oscar winners, and only one of them came up (Bourne Ultimatum). Some of the Oscar winners were of course released early in 2007. Some films from 2006 still dont have a rating for their review (eg Pirates.....Dead Man's Chest). The current database is also only 9857kb vs 9828kb for the October release.

Overall, I have preferred VH's approach to that of its main competitor, Leonard Maltin, but if it is not going to keep current, the choice becomes a no-brainer.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I did receive a reply from PocketSensei, and they requested that I post it here.

"Dear Geoff,

I can only apologize for the past delay, but I cannot undo or compensate. We have had a lot of difficulties keeping up with the releases.

VideoHound and REX continue to exist as products because we really like the product; we use it ourselves and we have invested a lot in its creation. I don't want to see it die off. There is no profit in this for us--we do it because we like movies and we like VideoHound.

The reality is that we pay a rather high fee for the VideoHound data (same as the book and then some) and that the fees for the data exceeded the money for the product. With the declining Palm market, revenue will never pay back expenses. Several of the people that used to work on the product were once paid but are now only available as volunteer. I don't have the ability to accelerate work, when they are working as a gift to begin with.

In the next couple months, I have some new ideas to obtain data from different sources and hopefully releases will become more frequent and less expensive.

Once again, we appreciate all the customers that have supported this product and I continue to work on the product to try and repay that support. It is my goal to keep VideoHound alive as long as possible.

Best regards,
    PocketSensei"
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.