Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Just wondering if anyone has tried this bluetooth headset: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/etyblu.aspx

ETY makes very good wired headsets, so I am curious.
    I'm not sure, but I really wish they'd make an ety8 that didn't look so ridiculous. I love my ER-4P headphones, but would love to switch to wireless, but those are just hideous. The EtyBlu at least looks better, though I'm not a fan of the boom mic, and its unfortunately not stereo.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm not sure, but I really wish they'd make an ety8 that didn't look so ridiculous. I love my ER-4P headphones, but would love to switch to wireless, but those are just hideous. The EtyBlu at least looks better, though I'm not a fan of the boom mic, and its unfortunately not stereo.
    I agree...I am not a fan of the boom mic either but after trying about 10 different BT headsets I still use my wired ETY Com Most of the time. I use a Blue Ant BT headset sometimes and it works OK most of the time but I still prefer the Ety. I will have to give this one a try.
    Please keep us updated. I use the same setup as you and was thinking about the etyblu.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    I bought a EtyBlu and could not be happier.

I have tried alot of noise canceling bluetooth headsets, Jawbone, Blueant z90, MOTOPURE H12. None of them except maybe the jawbone was any good at canceling out background noise enough so the caller could here me. Dont get me wrong the jawbone was really good in semi-noisy environments, but once the noise started to rise, the caller had a hard time hearing me. On top of that, I could not hear the calller. Even on the highest setting I had a very hard time hearing them. On a windy day forget it, you cant talk at all.

Now the Etyblu I tested in all sorts of environments. All these tests were with the boom mic attached.

• I did a quiet room where all of the headsets worked fine, except I still had a bit of a hard time hearing people on the jawbone.
    • I use it outside in the wind, with the foam wind cover for the boom mic, they did not even know it was windy out
    • I use it in the car with the windows rolled down, the radio on medium, they said that they thought they could hear the radio, but could hear me clearly, and I could hear them clearly also. With the radio on high, they said they could hear the radio slightly, but could still hear me clearly. Again I could hear them clearly as well
    • I then tried it next to a loud stamping machine my parents were using to work on the driveway, this machine was so loud we could not talk to each other without shouting. They said they could hear a bit of the background noise, but could still hear me just fine, even when I WHISPERED to them.

So you see, if you are looking like I was for a bluetooth headset that will work in the noisiest environment, then the EtyBlu http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/etyblu.aspx is what you are looking for.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    I bought a EtyBlu and could not be happier.

I have tried alot of noise canceling bluetooth headsets, Jawbone, Blueant z90, MOTOPURE H12. None of them except maybe the jawbone was any good at canceling out background noise enough so the caller could here me. Dont get me wrong the jawbone was really good in semi-noisy environments, but once the noise started to rise, the caller had a hard time hearing me. On top of that, I could not hear the calller. Even on the highest setting I had a very hard time hearing them. On a windy day forget it, you cant talk at all.

Now the Etyblu I tested in all sorts of environments. All these tests were with the boom mic attached.

• I did a quiet room where all of the headsets worked fine, except I still had a bit of a hard time hearing people on the jawbone.
    • I use it outside in the wind, with the foam wind cover for the boom mic, they did not even know it was windy out
    • I use it in the car with the windows rolled down, the radio on medium, they said that they thought they could hear the radio, but could hear me clearly, and I could hear them clearly also. With the radio on high, they said they could hear the radio slightly, but could still hear me clearly. Again I could hear them clearly as well
    • I then tried it next to a loud stamping machine my parents were using to work on the driveway, this machine was so loud we could not talk to each other without shouting. They said they could hear a bit of the background noise, but could still hear me just fine, even when I WHISPERED to them.

So you see, if you are looking like I was for a bluetooth headset that will work in the noisiest environment, then the EtyBlu http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/etyblu.aspx is what you are looking for.
    Thanks for the review. Have you tried it without the boom mic...just curious?
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    Thanks for the review. Have you tried it without the boom mic...just curious?
    I did take the boom mic off a couple of times, the caller said they could definitely tell the difference. Without the boom mic they could still hear me but not as clearly, as the background noise was alot louder. I could still here them clearly though.

The boom mic definitely makes a difference. It says it give 20+ dB greater noise cancellation with the boom mic on, soo ya, I dont usually take it off unless I am in a quiet environment.
    which phone r u using?
    The etyBLU works FAR better than the Jawbone I. With the boom, better noise cancelling. If you've used the etyCOM wired version it's on that level. Frankly I'd say that the BLU has better noise canceling than the COM. I do get static in the headset, but it does'nt carry over to the caller on the other end. I'll keep the etyBLU and hope the CDMA Treo Pro will have less static!!
    So what happened here?

Treo 700p here. I just ordered one of these (straight from etymotic so I could return it in the 30 day trial). For the last 2 or 3 years I've been using a homemade hybrid -- bluespoon AX2 with an Ety.Com boom mic grafted into it.

The AX2 was the only one I could find where the bluetooth worked sort of OK. Has sufficient speaker volume and you can stick a jabra eargel on it. Still have to have the phone on the same side as the ear you have the headset in and you still get some scratch on occassion but it's acceptable and never drops the connection during a call.

I really like Etymotics ear canal speakers (ety.com and ER4s and I'm hoping the bluetooth on this is a bit better. We'll see. Here's hoping.