Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Thank you sprint for outsourcing to people who speak and understand very little English.

So I ordered my Centro in November. All of a sudden the middle button does not work. It wasn't dropped, the unit does not have a scratch on it. I ordered the extended warranty. So I go to the sprint store thinking, well this should be covered under Palm warranty.

Sprint store says I DO NOT have the extended warranty. Apparently the person on the phone faking an accent who claimed his name was "Christopher" did not do his job correctly. So after misunderstanding what I told them 5 times they tell me I have to go through Palm.

Palm says go through Sprint. Sprint says go through Palm. Well only 20 months to go with a broken phone before I can get a new one.

So anyone have any advice? The down button on the middle of the phone is completely dead, and makes it very difficult to use the phone. Shouldn't Sprint handle the Palm warranty?

( I did already post on this issue, not trying to start multiple threads but the problem has changed a bit.)
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I forgot to add, that one store claimed that they Palm handles the warranty when I went there in person, and another claimed my problem was not a defect. Both were corporate stores.

So anything think going to one of them during the day where a manager is likely to be working would be a better idea?
    Seems like a simple warranty claim. If you can't get satisfaction locally, call Sprint and ask for "executive customer care". If they wont put you through, call again and select the option to "cancel my account" that will escalate you to a senior rep who speaks English as their native language.
    Mark Bergman
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I called today because my bill has not posted and I was wondering why, I couldn't understand a word they were saying.
    A few years ago, you could go to the Sprint store and you'd get a new phone on the spot if you had a legitimate warranty claim. After the Nextel merger, I have noticed that Sprint is now pushing the warranty claims to the manufacturer. This applies to ALL manufacturers, not just Palm (I had to go through Motorola to get a KRZR repaired). Some stores would do a warranty exchange if you have TEP insurance - with or without a deductible (YMMV). It is clearly stated in the user guide (my 755 anyway) that warranty claims should be directed to Palm and they give you a number to call so when you call Palm, tell them that it's in the documentation that they have the burden of fixing your defective handset. Good luck. FYI, I've read in this forum about a few people having similar issues with the nav button.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    A few years ago, you could go to the Sprint store and you'd get a new phone on the spot if you had a legitimate warranty claim. After the Nextel merger, I have noticed that Sprint is now pushing the warranty claims to the manufacturer. This applies to ALL manufacturers, not just Palm (I had to go through Motorola to get a KRZR repaired). Some stores would do a warranty exchange if you have TEP insurance - with or without a deductible (YMMV). It is clearly stated in the user guide (my 755 anyway) that warranty claims should be directed to Palm and they give you a number to call so when you call Palm, tell them that it's in the documentation that they have the burden of fixing your defective handset. Good luck. FYI, I've read in this forum about a few people having similar issues with the nav button.
    yep. me. my nav button has quit on me THREE times.... and now Im awaiting a replacement handset... But I do have the insurance on my phone.

Sounds like you are a victim of Sprints First Class CS... I would keep complaining and having your calls/ complaints escalated until someone helps you. Sadly, thats usually how you get things done with Sprint.

Good Luck.

ps- if youre forced to buy a new phone, I would just cancel, pay the ETF and move on... it would probably cost you about the same to purchase a new Centro... just my .02
    I'm a Pre gal now
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I am more disappointed that I won't have the warranty now. I recall they wouldn't leave me alone till I got it, then when I said ok ill take it, they didnt even give it to me. I might get phone fixed but doubt I'll be able to get the warranty instated like it was supposed to be.
    Try one of these numbers:

800-658-7564
    866-306-7056
    888-788-4727

Ask for the Retentions Department.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Did you ever check your bill to see if you are paying for the insurance

I did not have insurance on my 700p and it would not charge the battery any more. I took it to a Sprint repair store and they gave me a new (refurbed?) 700p for $35. Might be worth seeing if they can repair it.

Also, never call *2, waste of time. Email ecare or there is a different # to call if you need to talk to somebody. I don't have it right now, but I'll post it later.

Edit: 877 812 4727, I have never waited more than a few minutes and a few times somebody answered while it was ringing. Very helpful too. I haven't had to call in a while though, so I'm not sure if the number even works any more.
    Last edited by dave75; 04/08/2008 at 01:35 AM.
    There's also the online chats now, I've had some pretty good luck with them lately.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Did you ever check your bill to see if you are paying for the insurance

I did not have insurance on my 700p and it would not charge the battery any more. I took it to a Sprint repair store and they gave me a new (refurbed?) 700p for $35. Might be worth seeing if they can repair it.

Also, never call *2, waste of time. Email ecare or there is a different # to call if you need to talk to somebody. I don't have it right now, but I'll post it later.

I guess i didn't check enough, the web site billing info is kinda crappy and confusing. So ya, its on me too but this is all just a mess atm.

I appreciate all the suggestions so far, I really do. Anymore would also be appreciated.
    The Retentions Department has always treated me very well. Never asked to be transferred there, just ended up there when a phone person was not able to answer the question. I do though agree about the language barrier - at times it can be very difficult. One company I DID business with was outsourcing to India and four minutes in to the call I asked for and was transferred to a US site.

Ben
    I have to agree that you should've known that you weren't getting charged for insurance after four or five months of bills. I think the online view is the easiest thing as it opens telling you that you either have or have available to you, the insurance.

I would call Palm and get a warranty replacement. It will probably take you a few weeks to get and cost you around $50 shipping total, but it's better than beating a dead horse and blaming Sprint for something Palm is doing. I can't stand Palm, love Sprint, but love the Centro & Treos.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    The issue I have had is that Sprint says call Palm, and Palm says call sprint. So i have basically taken a screen shot of the part of sprints website that says to take it to sprint store for manufactures warranty. So will see how that goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike77 View Post
    The issue I have had is that Sprint says call Palm, and Palm says call sprint. So i have basically taken a screen shot of the part of sprints website that says to take it to sprint store for manufactures warranty. So will see how that goes.
    Good luck. Be sure you go to a corporate store.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    this can and should be sent through palmm. I got the runa round from both of them too but if u just tell palm that they hold a one year warranty for ur device and not sprint. they will honor it.
    Hey Mike,

Call sprint corporate number and ask for VP for customer relations. I think they are located in OK and they solve issues really fast. The phone numbers can be found on google. Just google sprint executives phone numbers. I get my issues solved that way.

Sprint customer service sucks.
    you shouldn't have any issues with getting a replacement phone because of the broken center button. It is a warranty issue. They should replace it out with a refurbished phone (which they might have to order) or possibly a new one on the spot. I've already experienced that problem, and I walked out with a brand new phone no questions asked. Just the other day I had a Vision issue where I couldn't connect to the web, and when i did it was extremely spotty and would disconnect without warning. Left the phone with them for 5hrs and they didn't do a thing to it. When I went back, it was like they were looking at it for the first time. They ended up saying they'd have to order me a refurb, and I complained about how I need my email during the day and can't wait 3-4 days. 20 minutes later they were programming a new phone for me. Of course I was reminded how unorthodox that was and how they were going out on a limb to do this...blah blah blah.

Bottom line is a corporate store shouldn't have an issue taking care of it as a warranty issue.

AND DO NOT LET THEM TALK YOU INTO HAVING INSURANCE TAKE CARE OF IT!!!! It is for accidental damage, theft and what not. It is not for a bad design of a center button that can easily break without being dropped, banged, hit and such. You pay for insurance and for getting the new phone. You're also limited to how many times you can make use of it. So use it when the reason is right, not because Sprint is giving you the runaround.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Again, thanks for all the advice. The best offer I have so far is from a store offering to replace under Palm warranty for a 35 dollar charge. I still have 7+ months in the palm warranty so I am not in a huge rush to run off and pay it so that the prob can happen again in another few months. I am going to try hitting corporate this time, see If i can get something done that way. Thanks again.
    Again, thanks for all the advice. The best offer I have so far is from a store offering to replace under Palm warranty for a 35 dollar charge. I still have 7+ months in the palm warranty so I am not in a huge rush to run off and pay it so that the prob can happen again in another few months. I am going to try hitting corporate this time, see If i can get something done that way. Thanks again.
    I would pay it and run. If you have to send it to Palm for repair or replacement it will cost you a minimum of $25 just to send it to them (they charge your card). Then who knows how long before you get it back or replaced.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast