1.    #1  
    Question about SIM cards. In my unlocked GSM Treo 650 I have my old(ish) 64K Cingular "Smartchip" SIM. I got this SIM in my Cingular branded Nokia prior to buying the 650.

I'm now considering purchasing an AT&T Centro and wanted to know if this SIM would work in the phone, or if the branding back to AT&T meant that I'd have to get a new SIM. Anyone done this yet? My first instinct is that it should work, but I'd like to get some confirmation all the same.

I'd prefer to pick up an unlocked Centro, but I'm a little leary of purchasing from overseas without a direct warranty from Palm.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Palm Pro -> PIII Upgrade Card -> Palm Vx w/ Minstrel-Omnisky -> Tungsten | T -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    I am using the old 32k sim from cingular with no problems
  3.    #3  
    EdZilla,

Thanks for the info, nice to have the confirmation. I've been able to hold the demo Centro at an AT&T display, but haven't seen the screen. Any reservations or regrets about the size or clarity?

Mike
    Palm Pro -> PIII Upgrade Card -> Palm Vx w/ Minstrel-Omnisky -> Tungsten | T -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Centro's screen is very nice both brightness and clarity wise.
    I agree, the screen is nice, also for being so small the keyboard is very usable. The only thing that bothers me about this phone is the battery door, which started to flex on me, so I cut a business card up and suck it between the battery and the cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdZilla View Post
    I agree, the screen is nice, also for being so small the keyboard is very usable. The only thing that bothers me about this phone is the battery door, which started to flex on me, so I cut a business card up and suck it between the battery and the cover.
    Another poster around here said they keep a $50 bill in there. Not a bad idea if you always know where your phone is (which I think most of us do). A little "emergency" money always on hand.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the info everyone. My Centro should arrive on the 10th. I'll post a success or failure report on my migration from my unlocked 650 to the AT&T Centro.

My plan is to just sync the new phone on it's own, and then copy the contacts, calendar and notes directories over to the new Desktop entry from my old existing phone sync and then sync again with the Desktop Overwrite option. I've done this every time I've upgraded in the past and it seems to give me the easiest and safest non-distructive results.

I'll reinstall any apps I decide to keep later once I'm satisfied with the stability.
  8.    #8  
    My Black AT&T branded Centro arrived today. The first thing you notice when you open the box is a warning:
    "IMPORTANT, Upgrading from another Palm OS smart device? You cannot rely on your old copy of Palm Desktop software! YOU MUST INSTALL...."

This is crap (at least at this point). They want you to install their software so that they can install all the add on software that the bundled.

So, for those people who haven't done this before, I'm going to outline the steps that I used to migrate from my Unlocked GSM Treo 650 to my new AT&T Branded Centro. As always, these steps worked for me, they may not work for you, make a backup of your files. This migration keeps your existing Treo files intact, but better safe then sorry.

I'm currently using Palm Desktop 4.1.4
    Hotsync 6.0.1
    On Windows XP Home

Step One: Make a final sync with your old Treo. I don't sync often so mine was out of date.

Step Two: Make a copy of the Desktop files. On my computer these files are located here: C:\Program Files\palmOne\<name of phone>

Just copy the entire directory and save it somewhere. This is your entire sync. We'll be moving SOME of these files to your new phone.

Step Three: Sync your New phone with a NEW name. I wanted to be able to run and sync both phones on the same machine so I created a new account for it.

The Desktop software will ask you when you sync the new phone for the first time. I don't recommend trying to sync your new phone with the old account. This process may install applications that are not compatible with the new Centro. This process will OVERWRITE the contacts, Notes and Calendar for the NEW phone.

Step Four: Find the Desktop sync file folder for the New phone.
    Open the directory called: C:\Program Files\palmOne\<name of NEW phone>\address

Open the directory for the old phone: C:\Program Files\palmOne\<name of OLD phone>\address

Copy the address.dat and address.bak files from the OLD directory to the NEW directory. Overwrite the existing files, these should be empty except for anything that came pre-installed.

Step Five: Right click on the Hotsync icon in your system tray and select Custom. For the NEW phone (select from dropdown) highlight Contacts, Press the Change button, and select Desktop overwrites handheld.

Step Six: Hot sync the New phone and your address (contacts) will be installed on the new phone.

Step Seven: Do the same thing for the Datebook and memopad directories. I did them each by themselves to make sure each worked, but you should be able to do all of the copies at once. Make sure you have the Desktop overwrites handheld option selected for the applications you choose to migrate.

Step Eight: Move your SIM card to the new phone and boot it up. Mine appears to be working fine and all data seems to be there.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Dolmangar; 04/11/2008 at 07:40 AM. Reason: typos
    Yes I have no idea why they state that crap about upgrading the Palm Desktop. My Centro also synchs nicely with 4.1.x.

Thanks for gthe helpful instructions, BTW
    As far as the old Cingular SIM goes...I put the old SIM from my wife's Treo 650 into her new black Centro and it works fine, but the banner at the top says "Cingular" instead of "AT&T".
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3 View Post
    As far as the old Cingular SIM goes...I put the old SIM from my wife's Treo 650 into her new black Centro and it works fine, but the banner at the top says "Cingular" instead of "AT&T".
    That banner, IIRC, is sent by the tower. I roam on an Australian SIM on So. Cal, some areas say AT&T, others Cingular. Still trying to find one saying Pacific Bell!
    That's what I had heard, but the Treo 650 that this card was in never changed from Cingular to AT&T, and now that I have put the SIM in the Centro, it still shows Cingular. Weird!
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    I believe the cingular name is because of the tower not being updated. I have two old cingular 32k sim cards and both phones show at&t on them, not cingular
    That is even more bizarre then because we have two other AT&T phones and those changed to AT&T months ago. I would assume all three phones in the house are using the same tower...correct?
    Charles

Well, stopped by AT&T today and got one of the new 3G cards and all is well.
    Charles

Not sure if this is true or not, but I had heard that ATT was trying to weed out Cingular SIMs. When setting up phones for clients, I have been told by ATT reps several times that Cingular SIMs work for now, but that in the near future you will not be able to transfer one to a new ATT device.